List your personal top ten overrated musicians/ groups

;) Same here. I can catch myself in the same week having listened to classical to 1960s thru 1980s country and rock plus classic rock channels.
Couple things I can not handle these days. Any country music since the 90s. All of it since sounds like the same thing redone over and over about beer cans , barefeet and bad girlfriends or boyfriends.... Cursing every other word Rap and Hip Hop to me does not even count as music.
Yes, I can't handle those last two either, though there is the ODD country song I do like. I like some of Tim McGraw's stuff for example, Red Dirt Road by Brooks & Dunn is also good.

Yes, I can't handle those last two either, though there is the ODD country song I do like. I like some of Tim McGraw's stuff for example, Red Dirt Road by Brooks & Dunn is also good.
Oh yes, when we still attended shows we saw both of those in concerts. We attended all kind of music shows and festivals for years until we were blessed with the joy of grandkids. Now we spend that extra money & time with them. Nothing better at my age.

Disturbia, Umbrella, Only Girl in the World, S&M, California King Bed

I'm sure there are others. I don't mind her music and own both albums the songs above are from.
I.... would say Disturbia (bow bow bee bow bow bow de dowm dowm) was OK... she has a few poppy sounding songs that have that same kind of beat and Rhythm to them... Please don't mind me, I am turning into an old and overly harsh critic and curmudgeon on music that is light and upbeat and enjoyable.

1. Rush
2. Styx
3. Kiss
4. Boston
5. Bruce Springsteen
6. AC/DC
7. Aerosmith
8. ELO
9. Dave Mathews
10. Any Rap. It simply isn't music.
Really....When I see a list like this I think to myself....WTH does this guy listen to....Beethoven

Maybe not a musician or band per se, but just a period of time in his career that just sucked so badly even though that was the time of his biggest commercial success.

David Bowie was a genius in the 70s and maybe up until 1981. That was when he was experimental and perhaps a little bit (OK massively) weird. His duet of The Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby was legendary even though it was a "WTH did I just witness?" moment in time. But the 80s weren't necessarily kind to him. I can't figure out why Let's Dance seems to be his signature song when it just doesn't work. Then there was the debacle with China Girl.

Maybe not a musician or band per se, but just a period of time in his career that just sucked so badly even though that was the time of his biggest commercial success.

David Bowie was a genius in the 70s and maybe up until 1981. That was when he was experimental and perhaps a little bit (OK massively) weird. His duet of The Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby was legendary even though it was a "WTH did I just witness?" moment in time. But the 80s weren't necessarily kind to him. I can't figure out why Let's Dance seems to be his signature song when it just doesn't work. Then there was the debacle with China Girl.
I thought he was at best when he first came out with Ziggy Stardust and collaborated and toured with the departed Mic Ronson. Once he started into the 80s "lets make radio songs cause they generate most money" I lost all interest in him. But you can see how there must have been tons of his fans riding around with Lets Dance flowing out the car stereos .... thats what those type songs are for. Similar to the career plan of old Steve Miller. The Steve Miller Band originally was blues rock with Boz Scags playing dual guitar with Miller. Once Scags went solo, Miller chose (and I can not fault any of them) to get rich. Steve Miller late career was a gold mine of radio type songs. We saw both era / version of his band. Both were good / just different.

I thought he was at best when he first came out with Ziggy Stardust and collaborated and toured with the departed Mic Ronson. Once he started into the 80s "lets make radio songs cause they generate most money" I lost all interest in him. But you can see how there must have been tons of his fans riding around with Lets Dance flowing out the car stereos .... thats what those type songs are for. Similar to the career plan of old Steve Miller. The Steve Miller Band originally was blues rock with Boz Scags playing dual guitar with Miller. Once Scags went solo, Miller chose (and I can not fault any of them) to get rich. Steve Miller late career was a gold mine of radio type songs. We saw both era / version of his band. Both were good / just different.

The thing about Let's Dance for me is that it's just a mess. Fame was a song that was Billiboard #1 and certainly was where he got popular in the United States. But some think that's Let's Dance was where he sold out. Maybe he did, but even then I can't think of why a song with such horrible composition is so ridiculously popular.

The thing about Let's Dance for me is that it's just a mess. Fame was a song that was Billiboard #1 and certainly was where he got popular in the United States. But some think that's Let's Dance was where he sold out. Maybe he did, but even then I can't think of why a song with such horrible composition is so ridiculously popular.
Because I think the men in the suits who have control of radio + music industry are "call the shots" depending on what they chose to force feed the public. So obvious in todays world. Who ever is in charge has decided we only get to chose from cRAP / Hip Hop or new "bad" country music.

• Love
Reactions: GON
Really....When I see a list like this I think to myself....WTH does this guy listen to....Beethoven
LVB wrote the (arguably) finest piece of music in the history of Man:
Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125

I grew up with Aerosmith's first three albums - I ignored the rest
ELO had some nice pop tunes and Jeff Lynne's voice has an amazing timbre and tone

The other stuff has been over played over man decade and I can just play it in my head if I want to

Who listens to Styx or UFO or Rush anymore. I Rush ever got a singer they could have been good :)

I'll tell you I painted (stained) my house (log Cabin) listening to Kansas Leftoverture and Dave Stewart and the Spiritual Cowboys
crankin' on a JVC CD Boombox

That's true. Watch the latest films (Prime I think) - anyway Ringo is pretty much EASILY able to drum to anything the other 3 geniuses came up with. This does NOT mean anyone could have been the drummer! This means Ringo was a good drummer.

Overhyped, overloved, overplayed? TRUE! But "overrated" - no, I don't think so.

A lot of people including myself believe that Ringo and George Harrison were the musical geniuses of the Beatles.

LVB wrote the (arguably) finest piece of music in the history of Man:
Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125

I grew up with Aerosmith's first three albums - I ignored the rest
ELO had some nice pop tunes and Jeff Lynne's voice has an amazing timbre and tone

The other stuff has been over played over man decade and I can just play it in my head if I want to

Who listens to Styx or UFO or Rush anymore. I Rush ever got a singer they could have been good :)

I'll tell you I painted (stained) my house (log Cabin) listening to Kansas Leftoverture and Dave Stewart and the Spiritual Cowboys
crankin' on a JVC CD Boombox
In younger days I would turn off the radio at the sound of ELO songs. As happens.... got older and reconnected with friends and we started talking going fishing and exchanging music like when we were younger. A good friend last year gave me two CD packs of Jeff Lynn & ELO. One is an album entirely Jeff Lynne playing, singing, writing and produced by him. He actually re - did an older ELO record from the 70s by himself. OK so I liked it fine. Latest I was sent is a new ELO DVD + CD packet of ELO LIVE at Wembley stadium with a touring band Jeff Lynne put together. I really became a fan after seeing the DVD. That set and the other CD are two that made me a fan and I enjoy them quite a bit. See that video if you like ELO or Jeff Lynne.
  • Jeff Lynne's ELO - Wembley or Bust

Back