Liquid cooled generator oil

I’ve got a liquid cooled Briggs whole home generator that’s calling for 5w30. Anyone here with experience with a liquid cooled generator oil that would suit my application best? I’m an amsoil fan, but when I wrote to them they recommended a small engine variant of the recommended weight. Ive used their small engine stuff is the past in air cooled engines, but not in a 3.0L liquid cooled engine. Are they correct with their recommendation? Any insight would be most appreciated.

Pretty sure those are running GM industrial/marine motors. 5w30 sounds about right.

Edit:
I looked it up and these are running the GM 3.0l Vortec engine. These are a modernized version of the 1960's Chevy 2.5l 4 cylinder punched out to a 4" bore. An automotive type oil is what it needs.

Last edited:
How often does it indicate for oil / filter change ?

I would probably use a name brand full synthetic oil , maybe what you use in your vehicle .

Consider , being on a standby generator , it may go from dead cold to full throttle , almost at a blink of the eye , with no warm up time period .

I would think very good oil would be cheap insurance .

I would probably use a name brand full synthetic oil , maybe what you use in your vehicle .

Consider , being on a standby generator , it may go from dead cold to full throttle , almost at a blink of the eye , with no warm up time period .

I’m with you. I use amsoil signature series in my car religiously. Is rotella better, or would amsoil work as well in this application? Thank you again!

I’ve got a liquid cooled Briggs whole home generator that’s calling for 5w30. Anyone here with experience with a liquid cooled generator oil that would suit my application best? I’m an amsoil fan, but when I wrote to them they recommended a small engine variant of the recommended weight. Ive used their small engine stuff is the past in air cooled engines, but not in a 3.0L liquid cooled engine. Are they correct with their recommendation? Any insight would be most appreciated.

Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 or Euro 5w40, that unit many need to run 24hr a day under load at high rpm's.

Trav gave some excellent oil recommendations
So these options are better than amsoil? I thought they all scored lower than amsoil in testing? I’ll gladly accept the recommendations, but this is news to me. Thanks again.

At least annually for oil change. I believe during high use periods, more frequent changes but I’m looking for clarity on that now from Briggs. Ac Delco PF454 is what it currently has as a filter. Should I go for a wix xp or amsoil replacement oil filter when I change? I’d like as much protection as possible for this engine as it’s something I want to last a long time and function when needed.

1k gallon. 30kw. Iirc, it runs at 1600 rpm. I could be wrong.

I found it, you have a 35kW, it runs at 1800RPM. Any 5-30 will be fine for that, its like a car driving 60MPH all day. I would suspect it has 200HR or once a year oil change intervals but that is just a guess.
The 30kW has the 1.6L engine

So these options are better than amsoil? I thought they all scored lower than amsoil in testing? I’ll gladly accept the recommendations, but this is news to me. Thanks again.

The Mobil 1 and Castrol 0w40 oils are some of the very best you can buy and well suited to these and many other applications. The zinc is high enough for this old school engine, at 1100 ppm it will protect the engines camshaft better than a new SN 5w30.

At least annually for oil change. I believe during high use periods, more frequent changes but I’m looking for clarity on that now from Briggs. Ac Delco PF454 is what it currently has as a filter. Should I go for a wix xp or amsoil replacement oil filter when I change? I’d like as much protection as possible for this engine as it’s something I want to last a long time and function when needed.
The generator head and electronics are going to crap out before the motor wears out from running conventional oil. If you are using it enough to wear out the engine you bought the wrong type of generator.

Thank you all for the great information! Would the recommended (PF 454 ac delco) oil filter have any better alternatives to maximize this engine's life? Any benefit of using a 0W vs a 5W oil if the engine has a block heater that will be in use all the time?

Thank you all for the great information! Would the recommended (PF 454 ac delco) oil filter have any better alternatives to maximize this engine's life? Any benefit of using a 0W vs a 5W oil if the engine has a block heater that will be in use all the time?

A wix 57099xp should fit.

Back