Liqui Moly MoS2 interesting sediment pics.

Ceratec seems more interesting than MOS2 though. Are there any real world benefits of using it? Engine oil additives are tricky, but Ceratec seems to be something else. What can you tell me about it?
Nothing you likely don't already know. It's a hexagonal boron nitride friction modifier - white graphite. It has a solid component similar to MoS2 best I can figure. It is supposed to be good for 30K miles but the solid portion is gone after the first change so you can run MoS2 if you want some solid bits in there. I've run it in all my VWs.

As neglected as that Bentley-wanna-be-pos-mobile in the video was, it barely saw oil, and I mean, *any* oil. 😂

Look @TiGeo, obviously I don't know much about Liqui Moly or the Lubetech stuff, so I won't pretend that I do. I just don't use additives as a general principle. If it does something for your vehicles, than that's great. Somehow I doubt that this stuff can do anything for a WWII-era basic low-tech push rod engine design. Fifty years ago engine lubricants weren't what they are today, yet those engines somehow survived and performed. Now, all of a sudden, special lubes and additives are needed for them. Logically, this is indicative of a quality control issue that no goop, no matter how fancy, can fix. Maybe it's something that doesn't happen that often, and maybe it was already addressed during manufacturing. So there is no point in using something that might do more harm than good just out of fear.

MoS2 was once upon a time recommended and sold by VW, as an additive for the differential of beetles IIRC. How's that for WW2-era low tech and OE recommendation

MoS2 was once upon a time recommended and sold by VW, as an additive for the differential of beetles IIRC. How's that for WW2-era low tech and OE recommendation
Wow, even during those times they only recommended it for the differential. It's something...

Wow, even during those times they only recommended it for the differential. It's something...

The original beetle's transmission is a transaxle, say MT and diff are sharing a common case and oil fill. It's been very robust and took some abuse btw..
Actually it's been a post-WW2 developement to prepare the Volkswagen for NA markets. The original "KDF-Wagen" transmission was lacking synchronizers but it was still been sold that way in less developed countries for some time.

They basically market MoS2 as the "for older cars" additive and Ceratec as the "for newer cars" additive but you will still see LM and their dealers pushing MoS2 for basically anything.

Back