Liqui Moly MOS2 experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil level in the little Mazda/Ford Duratech still looks good, and the engine seems quieter and smoother. (The latter two could be placebo effects, but I'm happy!)

I put my money where my mouth is and bought three more 300 ml cans Saturday. Two more vehicles to treat, and then half-can applications thereafter.

Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan
I have always had very positive results with Liqui Moly additives and especially with MoS2. Another Liqui Moly's product with wich I've had excellent experience is Ceratec oil additive, really a great product. It's a little bit more pricey than MoS2, but definitely deserves every cent.

I've got 10 cans of ceratec left.

In a new to me engine I run conventional for short interval and use a flush type additive when I drain the oil. I try to get the engine spotless so I repeat as necessary til it's clean.
Then a long life oil and ceratec.
Then mos2 in every change afterwards.
I've found every liqui-moly product to perform as advertised,and they are now the only additives I will use.
If they didn't work I'd never buy them again.
I don't bother trying to sell a home on the stuff anymore though. If someone expresses an interest I'll share my experience but that's it. Too many guys here who've never used it are experts in its use and I'm done arguing with anyone.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan
I have always had very positive results with Liqui Moly additives and especially with MoS2. Another Liqui Moly's product with wich I've had excellent experience is Ceratec oil additive, really a great product. It's a little bit more pricey than MoS2, but definitely deserves every cent.

I've got 10 cans of ceratec left.

In a new to me engine I run conventional for short interval and use a flush type additive when I drain the oil. I try to get the engine spotless so I repeat as necessary til it's clean.
Then a long life oil and ceratec.
Then mos2 in every change afterwards.
I've found every liqui-moly product to perform as advertised,and they are now the only additives I will use.
If they didn't work I'd never buy them again.
I don't bother trying to sell a home on the stuff anymore though. If someone expresses an interest I'll share my experience but that's it. Too many guys here who've never used it are experts in its use and I'm done arguing with anyone.

Yeah, I think you're doing the right thing first assuring your engine is in good clean condition using some quality flush product and after that using Liqui Moly's MoS2/Ceratec. In my engine both products achieved some amazing results even lowering my engine oil temperatures significantly, helping me to maintain some healthy oil pressure for longer and thus allowing me to prolong my track sessions. I have no doubt these things work at 100%, they pay themselves even by the bettered MPG, not mentioning increased engine reliability and usefull life span.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Just received 4 more cans off of Amazon... So much cheaper per can then local Napa...

I figured I would add 300ml every other oil change... Still less then the recommended dose per 7qts...

How much did you pay per can ?

Once in a while I check the price on Amazon, it was more than $7/ea most of the time.

Clevy & all,

I have just added one can Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver to my smoky '37 Alvis. It has 9.6 US quarts oil capacity. I'm tempted to also add a can of LM MOS2, but think it would be better to test & measure any effects of the MOS alone before adding anything else.

Planning of a 600 mile round trip this weekend.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Just received 4 more cans off of Amazon... So much cheaper per can then local Napa...

I figured I would add 300ml every other oil change... Still less then the recommended dose per 7qts...

Once in a while I check the price on Amazon, it was more than $7/ea most of the time.
I paid $7.81 plus tax in July. I see Napa has it for $7.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Clevy & all,

I have just added one can Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver to my smoky '37 Alvis. It has 9.6 US quarts oil capacity. I'm tempted to also add a can of LM MOS2, but think it would be better to test & measure any effects of the MOS alone before adding anything else.

Planning of a 600 mile round trip this weekend.

Motor oil saver has boron but contains no moly whatsoever.
And 1 can in a 10 quart sump is a half dose. Unless it's got a leak or your trying to extend the interval I'm not sure what the motor oil saver is going to help with.
I can for 5 quarts I think the directions say.
Just follow the directions and these products will perform as advertised. Caviat being once the first full treatment is done I've found to maintain the benefits half doses will work.
Half doses right off the bat may not do a whole lot or take longer to realize a benefit.
Motor oil saver isn't going to do any harm and will help gaskets remain supple eliminating the potential for gasket failure. I use it if I notice a gasket starring to weep or if I'm needing to stretch the interval out a few more miles because it raises tbn.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Nebroch
I think there's no need to add full dosage after initial use, excess MoS² will just settle to oil pan if used too much. Someone on BITOG warned about it.

This has been my experience. After the first treatment only half doses are needed to maintain any benefit that was achieved.

And you're a bit off with the too much comment.
What was said was Trav has a Grand Prix he used mos2 in. It's not a daily driver and can sit for months at a time.
He found that the mos2 settled out to the bottom of the pan. So I don't recommend using it in a vehicle that is not used often.
Example. If you've got a summer car change the oil in the fall. Don't add mos2 until the spring when it will be driven often again. Don't add in the fall when storing it.
Simple.
Just to add. My charger isn't driven often anymore either. More of a trip,fun car,I use the truck for work and errands.
I haven't noticed what Trav did,so it's possible that yes it settles out but once you start driving again it mixes back up. I know Trav to be honest and his advice is always top notch,so I know what he said is true.
All I'm saying is I don't doubt for a moment the mos2 might settle to the bottom if the engine isn't run.
I always change my oil after driving it. Never cold. So if he changed that particular sump load cold,and after sitting for some time then I have no doubt he noticed something strange. I personally haven't had the same experience.
And I use the stuff in everything I own,in every engine I maintain for friends and family and I've never seen the slime or whatever he called it.

I just wanted to clarify what was actually said so anyone who looks is making an informed decision. And that they have all the facts.

I wouldn't have any problem using it if the car runs daily. Non of my cars run year round, most sit for 6 months or more at a time. The mentioned Grand Prix only got 100 miles on it in 2 years at that time, it was running and drivable i just didn't feel like driving it.
The latest GTP i got isn't going to drive until i finish the RWD conversion and then i probably wont drive it much, they all live in the garage so none of them is a candidate.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Originally Posted By: hatt
I paid $7.81 plus tax in July. I see Napa has it for $7.

That was what I saw on Amazon the last few months, more than $7/ea. -SyN- said that he bought it for much less than NAPA.

Just bought 6 cans from NAPA with 20% off for buying $2.99 5-gal bucket. After 20% off the cost per can is $5.60 plus tax.

This is a good product. It was slowly working to cure the piston slap in my 4.7 V8 Dakota before I sold it. It seemed like every week the duration of the cold start piston slap got shorter, and the engine felt livelier. I still have three cans of MoS2, and they will be divided among three Craftman lawn mowers, a '93 Caravan, and an '03 Grand Prix.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I used it several times on at 1999 Saturn with 259,000 miles. These engines consume oil usually due to control rings being stuck.

This is my second engine and was getting smoke at stop signs. I tried the conventional solutions for reducing oil consumption for 10 years with no change. Tried MOS2 to see if I could have less smoke at idle and at full throttle. It took care of those problems. Engine was smoother/more responsive. I was using Mobil Delac which was a thicker oil. I skipped using it this time. Using Trop Artic 5w-30. Oil consumption is down a little. It transformed my car into something I want to keep for a while.

Added what was left in can to a 14 year old Toro mower. The Briggs engine smoked at start up. Took care of that problem also.

Good going MONKEYMAN!

I may add it to my Red Hot sometime in the future.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Added what was left in can to a 14 year old Toro mower. The Briggs engine smoked at start up. Took care of that problem also.

That is exactly what it did for an old Craftsman B&S powered mower I have.

Update - Just checked the oil on the 5. It's now got about 3500 km (c. 2200 miles) on it.

At the time of the oil change, the addition of the LM caused the oil level to rise slightly above the FULL mark on the dipstick.

The oil is now down to the FULL mark. At worst it looks like 1/3 litre consumption since the oil change. That looks like a significant reduction.

At this rate I may not have to add oil between changes.

I remain impressed with LM MOS2, and also added it to our ancient van when I changed its oil a week or so ago.

I don't know how or why but LM Mos2 has eliminated the piston slap in my 2012 Toy Taco. Haven't experienced anything but a really smooth and quiet motor.
21.gif

I just shared my experience in the TDI forums regarding Liqui Moly MoS2:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4965572#post4965572

In conclusion:

* 100% city average 2004 Passat TDI wagon without LM MoS2 = 36.8 MPG
* 100% city average 2004 Passat TDI wagon with LM MoS2 = 37.9 MPG
* Gain = 3%

One could attribute the difference to the margin of error if the gain was less or equal to around 1% but at this point I cannot rule out an impact of the Molybdenum disulfide additive as a friction modifier improving FE. I cannot comment on highway mileage as I do not have a consistent way of collecting the data to make apples to apples comparison.

I also may add that previous to using MoS2 from time to time I would see a small spot of oil on the passenger side of the engine when the car is in the garage. With this last oil change done last June 2015 and the addition of LM MoS2 I no longer see this small spot of oil. Coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back