Not open for further replies.
Please talk me out of this

I'm about to put
1) Lubro Moly Engine flush
2) ATF
3) 1/2 bottle of gunk engine flush
4) seafoam
5) NO AUTO RX please *cause I can't get it over the counter

into the crankcase of my 04' M3 engine. I'd regular oil change according to BMW recommended interval (25,000 km) and used Castrol TWS 10W60.
Now, I'd Mobil 5W50 Synthetic in it and the oil seems to be doing well for the last few hundred miles. But I'm planning a short OCI to clean it up. Car have about 40K miles (70k km) on it. No oil consumption no leaks.

Please talk me ... it's itchy !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree.

bwco, if you think it's a good reason to throw a random mix of volatile chemicals into the crankcase of a $20,000 engine in perfect shape, just to scratch an "itch," go ahead.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but my only request is that you post back over the next several months to let us know what happens.
thumbsup2.gif

At least give us a somewhat valid reason why you are going to do that. Don't do it to spite us drivers who wish we had BMW m3s.

Originally Posted By: bwco
Please talk me out of this

I'm about to put
1) Lubro Moly Engine flush
2) ATF
3) 1/2 bottle of gunk engine flush
4) seafoam

into the crankcase of my 04' M3 engine. I'd regular oil change according to BMW recommended interval (25,000 km) and used Castrol TWS 10W60.
Now, I'd Mobil 5W50 Synthetic in it and the oil seems to be doing well for the last few hundred miles. But I'm planning a short OCI to clean it up. Car have about 40K miles (70k km) on it. No oil consumption no leaks.

Please talk me ... it's itchy !

I'm hoping that your list is just that a list of what you are considering. If so go with the LM engine flush only, since IMO it is the best on that list of 5 choices. Good luck, report back.

+1 on the before and after under valve cover pictures.

I would like to to see the results of the BMW recommended
extended OCIs with the 10w-60!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
At least give us a somewhat valid reason why you are going to do that. Don't do it to spite us drivers who wish we had BMW m3s.

Trust me... if you get annoyed by owners of expensive cars doing stupid things, save yourself the headache and stop reading the stories. My generation M3 is sort of an exception, but most cars at that level are so finely tuned from the factory that 99% of what you can possibly do with them is stupid in some way.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
What do you possibly hope to accomplish by using ATF in your engine?

ATF is thin and a pretty good solvent. It used to be a decent way to clean out a crankcase.

If you want to do this for whatever reason from the choices given i would go with the Lubro Moly Engine flush based on company reputation alone.

If you have such an itch to flush, use LubeGuard engine flush and then do a short "rinse" OCI. It's a gentle product and I am happy with the results...
Don't throw a cocktail into your M3...what the heck for?

I just don't see the benefit... Especially given the mileage.

Let's see...

1) Lubro Moly Engine flush - OK, maybe

2) ATF - Why? there will be no extra detergency, I see no benefit to this at all, besides filling your engine with the wrong fluid and wrong additives.

3) 1/2 bottle of gunk engine flush - OK, maybe, but Id do this or the LM, and at the right dosing rate and leave it as either or.

4) seafoam - is your engine THAT dirty? That is a really non-viscous solvent. I wouldnt want that in my oil system unless absolutely necessary.

And what about MMO? I assume you can get that?

I'd stick with one additive and do just that. But get this - after doing the flush, id want at least two quickie OCIs to be sure that I flushed all the flush and associated gunk out. That turns into a lot of work...

If I were you, and had that engine, and wanted to change oil type, I'd just do a short OCI of maybe 1000 miles and then drain and fill again for good. I wouldnt use any flushes or additives like that unless I really needed to.

That said, I do run LC20 and schaeffer's 132 in a blend because I have seen consistent great results over extended OCIs when using it. But treat rates are much lower, and the use of the 132 balances out the low viscosity of the LC20 so it is effectively a zero sum addition viscosity-wise.

Id just do a quickie OCI and leave it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That said, I do run LC20 and schaeffer's 132 in a blend because I have seen consistent great results over extended OCIs when using it. But treat rates are much lower, and the use of the 132 balances out the low viscosity of the LC20 so it is effectively a zero sum addition viscosity-wise.

The LC20 gallon bottle actually states that it can be used as an engine flush with a (not positive on this, please correct me if I'm wrong) 4 oz. per quart of sump capacity dose, ~10 minute idle, and then dump everything.

Has anyone done this?

Also, I forgot if the 132 contains any polymeric V.I. improvers or not. Do you know for sure?

Why, oh why?
Do you have reason to think this engine is sludged?
Are you merely trolling?
That engine does not need the kind of what-the-heck cocktail one might use on an old Lumina with an LIM leak.
You have a fine and expensive engine.
Think real hard before running a mix of unknown effect through it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Do you have reason to think this engine is sludged?

Pop the oil cap off to take a look inside or take the Valve Cover off.

Quote:
That engine does not need the kind of what-the-heck cocktail one might use on an old Lumina with an LIM leak

Agree

Quote:
Think real hard before running a mix of unknown effect through it.

No need to ruin a fine and expensive engine.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: TurboJim
What do you possibly hope to accomplish by using ATF in your engine?

ATF is thin and a pretty good solvent. It used to be a decent way to clean out a crankcase.

I remember back in the mid 1980's pouring it slowly down the carb of my 1964 Buick. Really cleaned things out.

Also smoked up the neighbornood. But that's another story....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back