Liqui Moly Gear Protect - what is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of pure interest, does anyone know or can anyone make an educated guess on what this additive contains? In contrast to the openness with regard to e.g. Ceratec (=hexagonal boron nitride in carrier oil) Liqui Moly do not disclose the active ingredients in Gear Protect.

According to the fact sheet it is "a fully synthetic and oil-soluble gear oil additive which has been newly developed to the latest technology for use in modern manual, auxiliary and differential transmissons. The surface-active components of high-pressure and wear-protection additives reduce wear and guarantee optimum transmission opertion". As it is stated to be oil-soluble it must be something else than nano-particle solids, such as IF-WS2, I guess.

On the packaging, there is the following warning: "Harmful to aquatic life with long asting effects... Contains reaction products of bis(4-methylpentan-2-yl)dithiophosphoric acid with phosphorous oxide, propylene oxide and amines. c12-14-alkyl (branched), (Z)-octadec-9-enylamine."

Simply another S-P EP additive with an anti-oxidant.

The S-P EP additive with an anti-oxidant is already part of the PI package of gear lubes.

No need to add more.

For the record and FWIW, here is Liqui Moly's answer to my question on the differences between Ceratec and Gear Protect. The getriebeoil-Additiv mentioned by LM as similar to CeraTec is a Mos2 containing product...

"The Liqui Moly GearProtect is perfect for brand new gear boxes or gear boxes which make noices.
CERA TEC is the best to reduce friction in gear boxes and very good after the run in of them.
The best is first, to add to new gear boxes GearProtect and after the run in time, change the gear oil and add to the new gear oil CERA TEC in best dosage from 7 till max. 8%.

If a gear box has a mileage of more or a lot of thousands km´s and a normal noice less run, so CERA TEC will be the best one.
If a gear box is new or makes not normal noices, so GearProtect is the best one. Getriebeoil-Additiv is from its properties close to CERA TEC"

I plan to use LM Gear oil additive on my gearbox.
My next oil change is due in about a month so its perfect time to do that also.
This is the stuff:

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_1040.html?Opendocument&land=GB

I hope that I dont brake any rules about advertising
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Simply another S-P EP additive with an anti-oxidant.

The S-P EP additive with an anti-oxidant is already part of the PI package of gear lubes.

No need to add more.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough."

Fireball Whiskey FTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back