Liqui Moly different oil explaintions

Liqui Moly has so many oils to choose from and I dont know what each one specializes in or what their benefits are. If yall could give a run down on specifically these oils it would help so much!
1. Molygen new generation
2. Synthoil Premium
3. Leichtlauf high tech.
4. Special tech AA
If you dont have answers to all of them thats okay I just would like a brief explanation on what each of those specific oils from them mean and what they are specialized for :) ! Its confusing as they have so much when I look up what oil to use from their website.

Good question. I know their molygen oil has their moly and tungsten additive that they promote for US and Asian vehicles.

they sell the additive outside of the US.

Liqui Moly has so many oils to choose from and I dont know what each one specializes in or what their benefits are. If yall could give a run down on specifically these oils it would help so much!
2. Synthoil Premium
3. Leichtlauf high tech.
4. Special tech AA
If you dont have answers to all of them thats okay I just would like a brief explanation on what each of those specific oils from them mean and what they are specialized for :) ! Its confusing as they have so much when I look up what oil to use from their website.

You forgot "Top Tech". It's the one thing I hate about LM is that they have a ridiculously confusing motor oil product line. Definitely the only one like that in the US market.

You forgot "Top Tech". It's the one thing I hate about LM is that they have a ridiculously confusing motor oil product line. Definitely the only one like that in the US market.
Given the price differential I seen no verifiable technical reason to chose an LM product over something with identical approvals that can be half the price.

Of course you don't get the cool name and container to show off in your garage (or post pictures to Bitog) so if that's important to you then it may influence your decision.

Given the price differential I seen no verifiable technical reason to chose an LM product over something with identical approvals that can be half the price.

Of course you don't get the cool name and container to show off in your garage (or post pictures to Bitog) so if that's important to you then it may influence your decision.
Kudos to LM for being a one-stop shop but ya their oil prices are high which is to be expected since they're shipped from Europe. In the US it seems like only the boutique (Redline, Amsoil) companies offer a wide list of products.

No doubt LM is (too) expensive in the US and Canada. Just for sake of comparison see what they sell for in Germany:

Click on viscosity > 5W-30 for example. Every sort of LM is below 1 € per liter and that's what it's probably worth actually.

Kudos to LM for being a one-stop shop but ya their oil prices are high which is to be expected since they're shipped from Europe. In the US it seems like only the boutique (Redline, Amsoil) companies offer a wide list of products.

I don't buy that excuse either. I'm in the UK and I would like to give Liqumoly a chance myself but when I can get Castrol, Shell, Mobil, Fuchs etc etc oils for 50% of the cost then I don't see the point. At least if I spent an extra 50% on Redline or Amsoil I would feel like I'm getting a superior, boutique product where Liquimoly are run of the mill oils.

Maybe it's a German thing. Ravenol is similar in the sense that they use 3 letter designations for their different products, which mean absolutely nothing to the common person reading the label. Specifications on the Ravenol website does describe the differences in good detail though.

Thank goodness for the Mercedes Benz BEVO list!

The Special Tech V is the only reasonably priced oil I can find that meets the spec for our XC90. I order the oil change kit from FCP and it’s not crazy expensive.

Maybe the Germans understand it.

They also don't get it, but it isn't that much more of an issue than anywhere else. Most people reading oil forums use to purchase oil on internet shops. There you just click on the required approval and the shop will suggest what oil is appropriate for your car. Choose by price or the make you prefer or perhaps the bottle style you like most. What else do you need?

2. Synthoil Premium
3. Leichtlauf high tech.
4. Special tech AA

I've used their oils/additives extensively on my VWs. Would be beneficial to list what vehicle you are looking to run their oils in for this. Based on the list, I'm guessing you are looking for a 5W40 oil that meets the standard Euro set of approvals - VW502, Porsche A40, BMW LL01, MB220.5, etc.

Molygen - has a tungsten-based friction modifier and a UV dye for leak detection. Does not have the approvals listed above, only "recommended for".
Leichtlauf High Tech - their most popular oil that is sold by most Euro outfits for vehicles requiring the approvals listed above.
Synthoil doesn't have the approvals - not sure what this one's benefit vs. LLHT is...different base stock/more "synthetic"?
Special Tech AA - these are not for Euro vehicles "AA" = "Asian" and "American"

Bottom line, I have posted a bunch of UOAs from my VWs using LLHT and Molygen - both work great in my vehicles. The question that is ask many times here on BITOG is why use these vs. the more cost-effective Euro oils found at Walmart for instance and it's a good/fair question as these oils aren't giving you anything more for the same approval that I can see. I've been making my way through the list of popular Wallyworld oils currently in my Sportwagen to see if there is any benefit I can discern and so far, I don't see any real differences between any of them. I get my LM from FCP Euro so I buy the first and take advantage of their lifetime replacement plus Paypal's refundable return shipping so my cost is zero past the first kit to use LM making it a great deal (for me) and takes care of the "too expensive" comments but I get some don't want to hassle with it.

Finally - some folks here get really worked about anytime LM is discussed b/c they do have a heavy marketing component - social media, race team support/sponsorship, event sponsorship, Euro repair shops, Euro online retailers, etc.

In before lock.

Last edited:
No doubt LM is (too) expensive in the US and Canada. Just for sake of comparison see what they sell for in Germany:

Click on viscosity > 5W-30 for example. Every sort of LM is below 1 € per liter and that's what it's probably worth actually.

??? Sorry, but you are wrong.... even the chepaest LM oil is around 5,-€ / Liter here. The link you posted shows it clearly.
LM ist the best selling, most liked brand here in germany. Its price ranger here here is competetive in the average range.

And no, all this Oil Explanations dont make sense even for me as a german. I allways hav to read the cataloug to get the difference.

But ravenol really is much more worse, they really go over board with their explanations.
8 different 5-40 oils and as a customer i really have a hard time to get the difference between VEG, VSI, VST, HCS, HST, VDL, VMO, SVS.... what the heck!
"How to steer people away from your products and make them buy a different brand 101"

??? Sorry, but you are wrong.... even the chepaest LM oil is around 5,-€ / Liter here. The link you posted shows it clearly.
LM ist the best selling, most liked brand here in germany. Its price ranger here here is competetive in the average range.

True, it's wrong. It's wrong just because it's a typo (missing '0'). Below 10 € is what I was trying to say. That's pretty clear with the link I provided.
LM products are much more expensive in the US, and that's the point. Fairly proper value when purchased in Germany, no good value in the US.
Choosing Ravenol is easy when you confine yourself to oils starting with an 'R' (REP, RSP, RUP, RCS....), along with the required approval (if needed).
Choice can make things more complicated, but it isn't inherently a bad thing. I prefer to have a broad choice.

A typo.. i was wondering . :LOL: Yes, LM is maybe to expensive in the US.

I agree, having a broad choice is great, but if i have to guess what the product code means i am out.

Back