Liqui moly ceratec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't use it, especially in a vehicle that isn't driven everyday. Several respected members here have reported it falls out of suspension and collects in the bottom of the oil pan. Much like it's cousin LM's MoS2 additive. There's a lot of info in the archives about both products.

Good stuff! I used it one time - the solid friction modifier is gone after you change it but they say the chemical friction additive is good for 30K miles. I have a UOA with it where you can see the moly/boron spike.

It works great on the track! Ran it in a Hyundai with Pennzoil Synthetic and it had some good wear reports. Driving everyday and doing the proper break-in of the product helps. Archoil 9100 works the same way but has a ester vs mineral base and made in US so it gets my vote however I have been using XADO for a long time and even it wants you to idle for 5-10 minutes after adding.

Read this and am convinced it has a place because a lot of these guys are so hard on their vehicles and like the article explained about oil loss this could possibly be beneficial. Besides they are still making it so it has to be selling therefore it's working for someone. I can't tell you which one to pick because I have some ties to one of these companies,but I would suggest doing research and finding out if it's something that you could benefit from. Looking at voa analysis,read some forums and try to get a hold of people with lots of miles and just get a feel for what you are looking to achieve.

The furthest left change (~29K) includes Ceratec - moly/boron spike. Boron = "ceramic".
OilReports-page-001.jpg

Can I mix that with liqui moly 2020 motor oil saver?
Was thinking about using those two together on my next oil change. 05 VW Passat 2.0 TDI

Can I mix that with liqui moly 2020 motor oil saver?
Was thinking about using those two together on my next oil change. 05 VW Passat 2.0 TDI
I'd reach out to them and ask. Aside from dealing with a leak [if you have one], I might use the motor oil saver, but I'd skip the Ceratec for sure.

Why the skip on Ceratec?
After seeing pictures of how it collected in oil pans in vehicles that weren't driven everyday, and pictures of @Trav's compressor motor, which he added it to, I'll pass. It was collected at the bottom and did not go into suspension even after running the machine. What was interesting with the vehicles that weren't driven daily, even after they were started and the oil pans removed the product was still settled at the bottom of the pan. I'm sure some mixed in, but not all of it, that was all I needed to know. Still some people will argue or say they drive everyday, and defend the product. So I say to them go for it! Or search the archives read up on it and decide.

Reactions: a5m
After seeing pictures of how it collected in oil pans in vehicles that weren't driven everyday, and pictures of @Trav's compressor motor, which he added it to, I'll pass. It was collected at the bottom and did not go into suspension even after running the machine. What was interesting with the vehicles that weren't driven daily, even after they were started and the oil pans removed the product was still settled at the bottom of the pan. I'm sure some mixed in, but not all of it, that was all I needed to know. Still some people will argue or say they drive everyday, and defend the product. So I say to them go for it! Or search the archives read up on it and decide.
I always step back and ask myself - how many people use this product? A lot. How many issues do you hear about caused by having it settle? Zero. I'd be curious what LM has to say about it w/r to the above referenced info on settling. As you say, read up and decide for yourself but that's not what is often recommended here...it's "pass on that" not "there have been some settling issues noted, I suggest you read up on the pros/cons and decide for yourself whether extra friction modifier is worth a possible issue".

I always step back and ask myself - how many people use this product? A lot. How many issues do you hear about caused by having it settle? Zero. I'd be curious what LM has to say about it w/r to the above referenced info on settling. As you say, read up and decide for yourself but that's not what is often recommended here...it's "pass on that" not "there have been some settling issues noted, I suggest you read up on the pros/cons and decide for yourself whether extra friction modifier is worth a possible issue".
I ask myself the same questions, which starts me on my journey to learn about the product, and decide for myself if it has any merits for me. You asked, I told you what I discovered and why "I" don't use it. You feel it will help, by all means use it. I will guarantee you this. If you reach out to them, no company selling a product is going to tell you not to use their product. They might tell you to use one or the other, but not both at the same time. Which is why I suggested that earlier, but they're in business to make money. You don't make money telling people not to use your product.

Reactions: a5m
I ask myself the same questions, which starts me on my journey to learn about the product, and decide for myself if it has any merits for me. You asked, I told you what I discovered and why "I" don't use it. You feel it will help, by all means use it. I will guarantee you this. If you reach out to them, no company selling a product is going to tell you not to use their product. They might tell you to use one or the other, but not both at the same time. Which is why I suggested that earlier, but they're in business to make money. You don't make money telling people not to use your product.
You also don't stay in business making products that cause harm to your engine with as many people that use this product....something else to consider.

You also don't stay in business making products that cause harm to your engine with as many people that use this product....something else to consider.
I considered that too, but with any business making money is always first and foremost, so for me that wins out. Having said that, you have your heart set on using it, so go for it! That's the beauty of Bitog, opinions vary and people can come to their on conclusions about different products.

I considered that too, but with any business making money is always first and foremost, so for me that wins out. Having said that, you have your heart set on using it, so go for it! That's the beauty of Bitog, opinions vary and people can come to their on conclusions about different products.
I actually used it once about 30K miles ago, I switched to the Molygen oil that has a tungsten/moly friction modifier already in it so you don't use the Ceratec.

I guess Lucas should have gone out of business before they even started in that case. The oil additive market is a huge money and retail profit maker and a large amount of store display is dedicated to it.
Most of the products they peddle do little or nothing except thicken or thin the oil but cause no real harm so they sell mostly the sizzle not the steak.

A quart of Supertec 15w40 that cost $15 a gallon will do most of these additives claim when added to a thinner oil. LM had a huge portion of the aftermarket additive in Europe for decades and they dont want to loose out to the snake oils so they make their own. Okay it may not be totally worthless but it is certainly not anywhere as beneficial as they would like you believe. IMHO its snake oil gen II like all the other nano stuff on the market.

And as is always the case with these additives, there are standardized tests that would prove efficacy (same as the ones that the blenders use for motor oils), yet such tests are rarely if ever documented. Why is that? Instead, if anything we get a page of worthless testimonials and vague "up to" claims that upon scrutiny mean nothing. Surely the additive companies have run such tests prior to marketing, right?

I thought that was LM MoS2. Not ceratec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back