Liqui-Moly 5W40 Synthoil High Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only hope of an official spec sheet from Castrol is from an identical oil to GC Gold sold in other countries (England, South Africa, etc) where they do list decent spec sheets. Hard part is deciding if any of the possible oils are same as Gold GC sold in the U.S. Certainly at least one of them will be very close to Gold GC - SLX used to be but with recent changes in formulations, I'm not sure anymore. The info found on the sheets isn't all that useful anyway. If NOACK volatility was published, that would be another story. That's why I tested volatility myself since few oil makers want to give that info out.

It's a specific test method that measures the evaporation rate of motor oils under those test conditions. It can tell a lot about how the oil is formulated.

I'd like to see what LM's oil additives do for mpg's.
They've got "MOS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment" and "Ventil Sauber Value Cleaner" for about $4.
Ceratec for almost $20
shocked.gif

I'd really like to find some of their "Hydraulic Lifter Additive".
Anyone tried anoy of this stuff?

www.worldpac.com/msds/WP_035.pdf
Here's Worldpac's MSDS for the Synthoil Hightech 5W40.
It's pretty cheap if you have a business license and can go direct with Worldpac.
So what's the composition of this stuff? Grp IV + V?

www.interautopartssd.com/liquimoly.php
I get it ^here^. But I thought I paid $28/5L?

Liqui-Moly Synthoils
And which 0Wxx energy conserving oil would you run in a '01 530i BMW?
7-8k OCI, so I'm not worried about using a BMW LL-01 oil. Socal "winter"...
0W40? Longtime Plus 0W30? Longtime 0W30?

I'm leaning towards the Longtime or Longtime Plus 0W30 in the BMW.
And using the 0W40 in the Jeep for it's Baja trips.

quote:

Originally posted by JAG:
TS, would those kinds of esters be considered as part of the additive package in an MSDS, and therefore don't need to be explicitly mentioned?
Here's the LM 0W-40 MSDS. http://www.worldpac.com/msds/WP_032.pdf
Thanks.

Hey JAG, any clue on where I can view one of those charts that I kee p seeing around the forums... you know, the ones that who an oil's spec list, like pour point, flash point, viscosity index, viscosity at 100 and at 40 degrees, etc.

I wanted to see one of those charts for the Liqui-Moly 5W-40 grade.

Know where I can find that?

Why not use GC 0w30 in your 530i as it seems the M54 motors pull some great UOA's with it. I pick it up at Autozone on Miramar Rd. for our 325iT.

gtx510, I've used Ventil Sauber and Jectron fuel cleaners and Motor Protect extreme pressure oil additive. The Motor Protect seemed to really reduce wear since my magnets picked up less ferrous debris with LM 5W-40 and Motor Protect additive than any other oil I've used. I put the Motor Protect in partway through the interval and it did raise gas mileage a little bit but I think it's main benefit is wear reduction. I bought the MoS2 additive but have been afraid to use it out of fear that the insoluble MoS2 will coagulate. I want to contact LM to ask about this before using it.

LM 5W-40 and 0W-40 are 70% PAO and 20% mineral oil additive carrier, and 10% additives.

What should you use? All I can tell you is the 0W-40 gave significantly better gas mileage than the 5W-40 did in my VW 1.8T. That's why I'm going with the 0W-40 over the 5W-40 given high gas prices and the amount of miles I drive. Both these oils gave better gas mileage in my engine than GC did.

Benny, use the 5W-40 then use the 0W-40 and pick your favorite based on your own criteria. What works for me and my VW 1.8T engine isn't necessarily the same for you and your BMW engine.

windnsea00 says so and he seems to know your engine type so listen to him. I don't know diddly about it.
grin.gif

I'm mostly just a VDubber as I said although i did used to own an 84' 318i which in hind sight should have gotten a 40 weight oil but didn't because I was young and dumb then.

JAG: How do 5W-40 and 0W-40 compare, as far as protection goes? Are they both just as good?

I currently have Mobil1 10W-30 in my M44 engine (1996 318). I bought a jug of Liqui-Moly 5W-40 for my next oil change. I was pretty much decided on it... but now you are mentioning the 0W-40.

My questions are:

How do the 3 oils compare? (M1 10W-30, LM 5W-40 and LM 0W-40) In terms of wear protection, gas mileage, and cold/hot protection.

youth is wasted on the young
older bimmer engines like their xW40 oils...
GC might hack it?

ya, your right... i think i've known all along that 5W-40 is what my M44 wants. i've just been looking for an excuse to buy in to the elve's cult
tongue.gif

Can somebody let me know where to get Lubro/ Liqui Moly oil for a decent price. The local Porsche shop wants $60 for it, so I dont see myself spedning that kind of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back