Lincoln LS, educate me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Does that generation LS have the coil packs that fail around 100k miles? (I ask due to experiences of my friends with Ford v8 engines from the early 2000s where all ignition coils had to be replaced around the 100k mile mark, but those were 4.6 and 5.4 engines, not the 3.9)

We had a 2000 Mercury GrandMarquis 4.6, and around 75K miles, we had to replace 2 coil packs, but soon after, we traded it in for a Hyundai, XG350L.

I leased a new '02 back in the day. I really liked the car. Mine was a V-8. It was the sort of car you'd be tooling down the highway, look at the speedo, and be shocked that you were going 80mph!

Pros: Tight, awesome handling, V-8 sounded great at 6,200 rpms (I think that was the redline), good looking car that got lots of compliments.

Cons: Mine had a problematic climate control system. It had a bad habit of blowing hot air out of one side of the dual-zone system in the middle of summer. 4 returns to the dealer for that pesky problem. As far as I know, this was not a common problem.

Also, I could never get better than 18mpg (premium recomended) on that car.

Pricey hi-po rubber. Horrid in the N.E. Ohio snow.

Otherwise, I liked it alot. I still see them and like the looks.

I drove a demo 2005 V-8 some years back. Tranny would act badly with ill-timed bang-shifting. I thought it fell out of the car on the first one. Dealer said "that's how they are."

The engine had sufficient hustle, but the gas gauge sank wickedly fast. And it blew smoke when pressed. The nut behind me in a 6-cyl. Avalon had no trouble keeping up with me WOT, and was not blowing smoke. I'll bet his fuel mileage was alot better too.

The suspension was crash//boom//bang on anything other than smooth pavement.

After 90 mph the tires were extremely out of balance, but fine up to that point.

Smallish interior, uncomfortable seats.

Nice car otherwise.

Last edited:
I should add a chat with our cable guy. He bought a used low-mileage LS, not sure of the year. He said the car had so many fuel injector problems that Ford was considering swapping out the car for another one. He said the car mostly sat unused, waiting for parts that never seemed to show up.

He said he liked the car except for that.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the responses.

I gave up on the LS. Even if I happen to find one without real problems, as it gets older it may become difficult to keep up due to being discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back