Lincoln CPO vehicle with accident history?

How would you fill about Lincoln CPO vehicle with a known accident history?

I am looking at possibly purchasing a 2018 Lincoln MKC that is a certified pre-owned vehicle. It is certified through the Lincoln dealership by Lincoln/Ford.
The vehicle was purchased new in July of 2018. The vehicle was purchased on three year lease. about a year after purchase in July of 2019 it was reported to be involved in a chain reaction where the vehicle sustained minor damage to the rear. The service record didn't accidentally report shows that work was done by the dealership. It was driven another 2 years under the lease.
There are multiple records of the vehicle being routinely serviced in maintenance and oil changes about every 8,500 mi.
At the end of the lease in July of 2021 the vehicle was traded in at an Acura dealer. That Acura dealer attempted to resell the vehicle. It did not sell it later went to an auction where it was purchased by a Lincoln dealership. It appears that same Lincoln dealership used the vehicle as a service loaner vehicle up until now.
whatever damage seems to have happened to it It seems to be minor and it is listed now as a certified pre-owned Lincoln.
what they are asking for it seems like a reasonable price and it currently has 38,000 miles on it.

How do you feel about a CPO vehicle being in a known accident?

Most used cars have been in an accident. Have it inspected before purchase by someone familiar with auto body repairs to verify it was repaired correctly.

I am looking at possibly purchasing a 2018 Lincoln MKC that is a certified pre-owned vehicle. It is certified through the Lincoln dealership by Lincoln/Ford.
The vehicle was purchased new in July of 2018. The vehicle was purchased on three year lease. about a year after purchase in July of 2019 it was reported to be involved in a chain reaction where the vehicle sustained minor damage to the rear. The service record didn't accidentally report shows that work was done by the dealership. It was driven another 2 years under the lease.
There are multiple records of the vehicle being routinely serviced in maintenance and oil changes about every 8,500 mi.
At the end of the lease in July of 2021 the vehicle was traded in at an Acura dealer. That Acura dealer attempted to resell the vehicle. It did not sell it later went to an auction where it was purchased by a Lincoln dealership. It appears that same Lincoln dealership used the vehicle as a service loaner vehicle up until now.
whatever damage seems to have happened to it It seems to be minor and it is listed now as a certified pre-owned Lincoln.
what they are asking for it seems like a reasonable price and it currently has 38,000 miles on it.

I would pass on that vehicle just my 2 cents Good Luck

Thinking it was a low-speed bump. Should be fine as long as it runs and drives well
Yeah, thinking the same. I know there are shady dealers out there but the fact that a an Acura dealership was willing to try to resell on their on lot and Lincoln dealership now is trying to sell it a CPO seems like it was indeed a minor repair.

I dont see a reputable dealership wanting to sell a vehicle used with a known accident unless it was indeed minor. Especially a CPO that's supposedly cream of the crop in used vehicles.

my past 2 mb and current vw were cpo. none had an accident, all were fine. my older son’s mb was a cpo too but later we learned that it had been in a fender bender, undisclosed on carfax and by its atlanta dealer. he was a usaf pilot living six hours away in nw florida and about to deploy. he complained to the dealer, who offered to look at it. corporate told him to deal initially with the dealer. by that time he was on his way to afghanistan and dropped the issue. bad taste.

cuemark8, if it’s only a fender bender and fully disclosed and the dealership has a good reputation and it’s decently priced and you wish to keep it awhile (i.e. unconcerned about resale value) then i would get it.

Small world. This Lincoln MKC was originally sold in St Augustine Florida. Spent life in Jacksonville Florida where was serviced. It is currently setting on a lot at a Lincoln dealership in Atlanta where it's been with dealership for awhile.

What trim level? Which engine?

What is the asking price?

I wouldn't worry about a minor accident provided you get a second evaluation from the best indy body shop near by. Dealer work is ???? at best.

I wouldn't worry about a minor accident provided you get a second evaluation from the best indy body shop near by. Dealer work is ???? at best.

It's an oddity. It's a MKC FWD Reserve. Reserve is top of line trim. Is loaded with options. Has tech package. Has lane keep assist and stuff. Has the active park assist. Has the premium 19" wheels. Light cappuccino interior.
It's also has the factory Class 2 trailer tow package with 2" receiver and auxillary transmission oil cooler and whatever else.
Asking $27,600 ish. Haven't even negotiated yet. The dealership is rather far away from me The only communication we had has been email and a phone call. I haven't seen it yet person.

See if you can find out where the accident repairs were done, then go get some details as to the work that was done.

First, we're dealing with a unibody chassis, so my comments are directed at those. BoF vehicles would fall under a different consideration for me; that doesn't apply here.

I generally shy away from vehicles that have had structural damage and/or accidents that have been violent enough to deploy airbags. I do realize that cars can be put on a "rack" and pulled straight, but that does not give me great confidence. Though major damage can be repaired, it always comes with a caveat.
- steel that has been bent out and rebent back will always have a fatigue weakpoint somewhere
- aluminum will fracture easier than steel
- it's common today to have chemical bond areas (glorified adhesives) that could break loose and be unseen inside the chassis
- wire looms could have been pinched and weakened; this could wreak havoc later down the road in CANbus issues, etc.
It's very difficult, IMO, to find all the potential spots which have been weakened by a major accident. While some really skilled and detail-driven body guys are probably trustworthy, you have to hope the person who did the work was a competent and talented person. It's not that good work can't be done to repair a major accident; rather the risk comes in that so many small things can manifest into problems down the road. I would question if the extended CPO warranty would cover any residual accident damage; you'd want to look into that in close detail. They'd probably try to throw it back onto the accident insurance company and/or repair place - then you're into a battle between different entities.

However, damage that is cosmetic only don't bother me, and is more common. If all they had to do was replace some bumpers or fenders, replace some plastic, and spray some paint, there's no real reason to fear a vehicle with such damage. Cosmetic issues are easily fixed (albiet perhaps expensive), and don't affect the overall driveability or reliability, in general.

That's how I treat my concerns when buying a used car.

Yeah, thinking the same. I know there are shady dealers out there but the fact that a an Acura dealership was willing to try to resell on their on lot and Lincoln dealership now is trying to sell it a CPO seems like it was indeed a minor repair.

I dont see a reputable dealership wanting to sell a vehicle used with a known accident unless it was indeed minor. Especially a CPO that's supposedly cream of the crop in used vehicles.
Dealers sell CPO vehicles all the time that have been in minor accidents. There are guidelines for this. As long as the chassis or unibody as not damaged to any large degree it can be certified.

I wouldn't worry about it but if it bothers you then pass.

From my own experience we had a leased C300 which was involved in an accident where another car put a 4 inch dent in the rear panel at the wheel well. The shop just rolled out the damage from underneath and that was it. Yes it came up on Carfax because we obviously weren't going pay for it and the owner of the other vehicle just had their insurance cover it.

Have the vehicle undergo a pre-purchase inspection by a reputable body and frame shop that has the proper manufacturers' certifications.

There are lot's of vehicles that have been in accident's where it is not reported. People rely too much on records instead of visual inspections. If you can't tell the vehicle has been in an accident I wouldn't care. Even a salvage title vehicle has a title that sits in a drawer, safe, or at the bank. If the depreciating asset is something you like then buy it. Most body shops remove and replace parts because it takes too much time to pull out anything other than hail dents.

The last time I checked the dealers have racks that can lift the car for an inspection- which they are going to do for the certification anyway. The manufacturer backs the extended warranty on CPO vehicles - most dealers won't play around with this process- it's simply not worth it.
Neither dealer knows the extent of the damage so while it was probably minor, that's a presumption.

The last time I checked the dealers have racks that can lift the car for an inspection
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Glad to hear that. I bet it makes working on cars easier too.

Point is, a quality body repair won't show them anything.

So multiple dealerships have been helpful. The Carfax history on this vehicle reports that it's been serviced and repaired and routine maintenance performed at a Lincoln dealership in Jacksonville Florida.
I reached out to the dealership in Jacksonville. I told him I was interested in purchasing the vehicle I told him it had history of things service there I told him it had a history of a reported rear end collision. I provide them the VIN number and ask them if they could check the records for me.

The service record and the bill for the collision center for this vehicle totaled $970 in 2018. Seem like the lower rear facial is broken on the bumper It was replaced some scratches scuff marks buffed out and the bumper repainted.

In today's world $970 in collision repairs is minor.

Back