Limited Slip additives: what exactly do they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that they modify the friction of a GL-5 to alleviate clutch chatter. However do they typically 'increase' lubricity or 'decrease' it to accomplish this? Thanks for any clarification.

According to Red Line, their FM additive does not really affect wear, but it will decrease friction(more mpg) and heat. That is why they still recommed the regular 75w90 or treating the NS with FM even in a open diff.

Thanks Mike! That 2nd link was awesome - EXACTLY the info I was looking for and then some. (my browser had trouble w/ the frame on the first linek but not to matter - the 2nd was great).

===

On a related subject - this might suggest that if you are going to use a GL-5 in a standard manual transmission: that a GL-5 WITHOUT any limited slip additive may provide better syncho performance over a GL-5 WITH limited slip additives?

On a related subject - this might suggest that if you are going to use a GL-5 in a standard manual transmission: that a GL-5 WITHOUT any limited slip additive may provide better syncho performance over a GL-5 WITH limited slip additives?
yup, that's why redline has the 75w-90NS, or one reason whenever you buy over the counter gear oil that you buy friction modifier (limited-slip additive)separately before you put in in the rear differential. Not all systems require an oil that's friction modified.
The big thing with using a gear oil (GL-5) like that in a transmission is to make sure the transmission calls specifically for a GL-5 oil. If it doesn't, or if it calls for a GL-4 lube, then the GL-5 oil may be very harmful to the materials (yellow metals and clutch components) in the gear box.

Yep.

There are of course open axle differentials that don't really care about limited slip additives I suppose thus 'NS' and other brands of plain GL-5 would be fine. But I doubt the additive will hurt either.

But strangely enough there are manual transmisions made whose manufacturers explicitly recommend GL5 only and who use copious quantities of yellow metals. See my thread where I am looking for other makers besides GM that list GL5 only for their manual transmissions.

Besides sychro rings are there any other parts in transmissions that could be 'yellow' metal based? What about bushings?

Friction modifier REDUCES friction so that the clutches can slip (less noise for clutch Posi's).

For open differentials, lockers, and Torsens - FM doesn't affect the operation since it's all mechanical/gear based.

With a standard open axle arrangement (no LSD) and given a choice - would you prefer a gear oil (say GL-5) that includes or claims to be compatible with LSDs or one that doesn't include additives and is not specifically compatible with LSD clutches? ...and why?

thanks,

FYI, I recently replaced the differential oil in both front and rear axles on my 01 Isuzu Trooper with LSD/TOD. I have previously used 80W-90 GL5 with LSD additive but this time I used Pennzoil 80W-90 GL5 with no LSD additive since the Pennzoil claims that "because of its unique formulation, neither LSD additive is necessary, nor is one recommended." So far, I haven't heard any chatter or other noises from the LSD. While I was under the truck, I also did several drain/refill cycles with a case of Pennzoil ATF.
smile.gif

"TOD" ... ?

"because of its unique formulation, neither LSD additive is necessary, nor is one recommended." I usually interpret this to mean that the LSD additive or equivalent is already included with the lube. THis was what I was referring to when I said it was already pre-mixed in with the bottled GL-5. One can argue the semantic difference between the factory mixing an additive in explicitly or somehow claiming their formula doesn't need it but it's teh same end result either way - it's appropriately friction modified for the LSD - 6 one way, half-dozen the other.

Sorry, TOD is short for "torque on demand system" but that isn't important for this discussion.

No prob - thanks for the translation. I sometimes sling the term 'Posi-trac' but I think that's a GM parlance for 'limited slip differential' aka 'LSD'
smile.gif

Anyway unless someone can clarify further, my logic suggests taht IF (for whatever reason) you install a GL-5 in your manual transmission that a 'plain vanilla' GL-5 without any sort of 'LSD' specific performance is the better performer for synchro action.

Mike,

Thanks for the links. The second one, however helps to confuse instead of clarify the difference between extreme-pressure/anti-wear agents and the friction modifiers for smoothing clutch takeup in limited slip units and automatic transmissions. EP/AW agents were his primary focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back