Lifting Points for '06 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve recently bought a 2006 Camry and I’d like to do my own tire rotation. To that end, I purchased a floor jack. The problem is that I can’t readily determine any good "lift points" in the rear. Obviously I could use the scissors jack and a spare scissors jack I’ve stashed away, but those aren’t as safe as a floor jack. Wonder how (and where) the Toyota dealership lifts this car using their hydraulic lifts? Any ideas or suggestions?

Hi,

My 2005 Corolla has two points that lift either the front end or the rear end that is shown in the manual.

I'm sure the Camry would be the same.
confused.gif

With a floor jack (which I use) it's real easy to rotate tires and such.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill in Utah,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my Camry owner’s manual only displays “jacking points” for the Toyota-provided scissors jack. As best I can tell, I can’t use those jacking points with my floor jack.

Here’s another point to ponder. Regarding the rotation of tires, Toyota recommends a simple front to back rotation scheme, while Michelin, on its website, recommends a criss-cross rotation pattern. I’m inclined to follow the Michelin-recommended rotation scheme. But for that I could use the two Toyota-provided scissors jacks I have.

Interesting that the Corolla would have two floor jack points (and one is a metal post just for this purpose and it's about 6 inches long on the rear)
confused.gif

I agree the points for the sissor jack would not be good. My dad took a 2x4 and cut in a groove so he could use those points for his 2001 Civic with a floor jack. He had no problem and no damage.

I rotate front to rear only on my Toyota and have excellent tire wear.

On my truck, I do the rears to front and then front to other side rear rotation and excellent tire wear there. I figure that the OEM tires on both my Corolla and Silverado are good for 80k miles.
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Smith,

I have a 2005 Camry, in the owners manual (p. 304) two lift points are identified. One in the front, a small reinforced rectangular area. One in the rear, in the middle of the suspension.

Like guile posted: In the front, you can lift by jacking up the front sub frame behind the lower suspension arm look and you should see it. tapp it with a screwdriver or hard metal bar to feel if it is solid just to check.

the rear, is the center of the suspension arm (rods) mount. because it is so far in and high, a larger jack ( pro style with very long handle) would be ideal. The scissor jack will not be good there.

don't forget blocking and stands, because the scissor jack is not really that stable when extended.

quote:

Toyota recommends a simple front to back rotation scheme, while Michelin, on its website, recommends a criss-cross rotation pattern. I’m inclined to follow the Michelin-recommended rotation scheme.

Rotating criss-cross is advisable only if you get uneven tire wear dspite proper alignment and tire inflation. If you swap the tires criss-cross, assuming they are non-directional to begin with, you will temporarily increase tire wear, as the tread will have to adjust to the direction of rotation (The tread begins to "lean" the other way).

>My dad took a 2x4 and cut in a groove so he could use those points for his 2001 Civic with a floor jack.

Safety nazi say:
Let's be careful about how we use and stress wood. A dry piece of wood with a groove in it doesn't need much help to begin splitting.

There are trolley jack blocks (thinks adaptors) made out of hard synthetic rubber that will fit floor jacks and that will accommodate pinch welds safely and without causing damage. Even JC Whitney carries them. If you ask for trolley jack blocks at Kragen, AutoZone or Pep Boys, you will likely get a sheepish, glazed-over, maybe slightly amused, probably non-verbal reaction.

when you lift the car with a lift you just use the pinch welds, like any other fwd car. thats all ive ever used when using a lift the past 5 years ive been wrenching. never had a problem. i dont use jacks though, only when at a track, and then i use the subframe connectors with my car because they double as jacking rails.

You might want to check out what I did to my Camry. I noticed the service manual said to rotate the tires every 5000 miles. I usually don't do it that often. My Camry went thru three sets of tires in 100,000 miles. You might want to see if the camber is adjustable on yours. I was told it's not. I was told numerous cars are only toe in/out adjustable. Mine were $100 installed with alignment at Les Schwab.

Just use the floor jack under the front jacking point and lift until the front tire is off the ground.

You'll find the rear jacking point on the same side very easy to lift with the stock scissors jack, as the car body will simply tilt sideways. Most of the weight is already transferred off the suspension of the side you're working on.

Front-to-back rotations are all I ever do, and I think it's enough.

Thanks. Upon a closer reading I did find the Toyota-recommended jacking points (floor jack vs. the scissors jack) highlighted in my owners manual. Yes, I am the weakest link.

Thanks, too, for the lead on the trolley jack blocks. Yes, I've seen that vacant stare before from Auto Zone and Toyota dealership service dept. personnel before.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back