Lifter Tickage! grrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

been using Valvoline Maxlife for about the last 7 years with the previous owner of the car

Valvoline Maxlife has been around since 1997?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
I had the same vehicle and it ticked also. It only did it the first couple of minutes.

The same can be said for the majority of the honda engines at that time. I can't think of one that I've seen of that era that doesn't tick on startup. My friend has a higher lift/longer duration cam on his 92 accord and it's really noticible now!

--Matt

[ February 28, 2004, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: mkosem ]

I would add at least 8 ounces of Rislone, drive for 500 miles and change the oil and filter. If you still have a tick, then it is a mechanical problem that cannot be fixed by an oil additive. The rislone has always worked for me to stop lifter ticking. Your problem may not be too difficult to fix, it may be a worn rocker arm or a worn lifter and if it bugs you that much it could be fixed.

You will not stop the tick unless you get rid of the vehicle! Trust me on this I went through it already.

i went to go get my oil today.. i couldnt pass up the advice i got from a fellow legend owner (who introduced me to this board) which was to get German Castrol Syntec 0w-30.

I picked up 5 quarts of the stuff from my local autozone and i'm getting 3 of those big NSX oil filters shipped over from california pretty cheap from a friend of mine

people say that the switch from regular to synthetic is hard on seals and gaskets, and i know that products such as auto-rx are good for prepping the seals for the switch.

mine had auto-rx in it for about 800 miles, and it was going against a couple years of high mileage valvoline sludge and whatever the past gave it.

i've got all maintenance records of my car and it's been kept up well. the reason i couldn't complete my auto-rx cleaning phase was because i had an o-ring replaced and the oil was lost. its been about 750 miles since the oil was topped off after that. i'm hoping everything is good now, seals are prepped and the engine is pretty free of auto-rx

if everything is good like i'm hoping, then the synthetic will do well in my engine. the bigger filter increases flow and it should get that german castrol up to the lifters very quickly and everything should be fine (i hope)

i know a fellow legend owner i know has gotten rid of a tick by doing everything that i am planning on doing right now. he went from using mobil 1 to the german castrol and that filter, and he stopped it.

i think it'll help. if not, hopefully it'll at least be quietter than it is now.

[ February 28, 2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: z00mz00m ]

This is the thread I meant to post this reply....
pat.gif

Believe it or not, but what's been helping me with complete elimination of all ticking on cold starts is a bottle of STP Gas Tmt. with every fillup...along with occasional fuel injector cleaner as well.

A diesel oil such as Delvac 1 will also aid in cleaning things up oil wise.

i already use stp fuel injector cleaner every 2-3 months, not doin much good w/ my lifter situation.. i don't really see how a gas treatment could

It won't. The lifters won't come into contact with the fuel, unless you got BIG problems and fuel is running into your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back