lifetime oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I attempt to quote from Austin Power's "the spy who shagged me"....

"(fat *******'s ****) tastes a little nutty..."

grin

Q.

clean otc (over the counter) motor oil is filtered to ~40 microns. In theory this should be a perfect match. initially this would not be a low maintenance setup but progressively could yield results similar to a full flow/bypass setup. Larry L is using a pure power on one of his vehicles to test this type filters efficacy.not to criticize previous post but why all the FUD? just some facts please, no f(r)iction!

There are so many problems with a filter like this that I don't really know where to start. But let's start with 2; efficiency is poor and dirt holding capacity is low.

Be cautious of filters that don't offer industry standard test data.

quote:

Originally posted by lewk:
not to criticize previous post but why all the FUD? just some facts please, no f(r)iction!

The FUD in this thread started in the links you gave.

35 microns significantly exceeds the running clearance on the loaded side of the journal bearings of an engine. Not good.

The gravel strainers you linked to let essentially everything below 35 microns through. A high percentage of wear is caused by particles in the 10 to 30 micron range.

quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
Why doesn't this company have an address ??
I looked all over their website to find an address and I can't, I know I'm going blind in my old age but the address should be easily found.
Is this another van parked down by the river ??

P.B.

They need some sales before they can buy a van
lol.gif
Those Harley handlebar grips at Crisco look like they will be hot sellers.

PB, Chrisco's fax number and the other companies direct number link to adjacent towns in area code 714, Orange County California.

I share your view of companies that hide their address.

[ June 27, 2006, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

Color me lazy....but I for one don't want the added labor of cleaning that thing. What do you do, soak it in turpentine? It looks like a quality piece, but it sounds like a pain in the ***.

35 micron is the absolute max particle size, with that rating, smaller particles will be filtered too.

Too bad it has no ADBV.

Clean an oil filter?!?! PITA!

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
35 micron is the absolute max particle size, with that rating, smaller particles will be filtered too.

That type of filter is pretty ineffective on smaller particles. It's a bunch of holes small enough to stop 35 micron+ particles. Smaller particles can go right on through.

K&N air filters have service reqirements and questionable filtering capabilities as well yet many here on this forum still use them.I'm not endorsing advertising or condoning the use of this filter, just looking for some objective CONSTRUCTIVE feedback rather than obscure subjective OPINIONS.
catharsis

I'd like to see any reliable info on oil filters like these. One claim that seems too good to be true:"...90% more efficient than paper or fiber filters...". Maybe so, but I sure don't see how a cleanable stainless mesh, no matter how fine, can do that. I'll need some convincin' on that one.
wink.gif

As far as buying one, thanks but no thanks.
#1: $200 & up?
freak2.gif
I can buy 100 Purolator Premium Plus filters for that, just go to Fred's discount Store & buy the Havoline filters. And I can just buy 'em as I need 'em.

#2. Clean out an oil filter, for every oil change?
thumbsdown.gif
For $200
spaz.gif
it should clean itself! Nope, I ain't gonna clean oil filters.

I can see where it might be a handy thing for a race engine, though.
cheers.gif

the chrisco filter is $100 plus S&H. sure its more labor intensive but thats the price you pay for better filtration, or so it would appear. I log 30-40 thousand miles per year on my work van.at 6 bucks a filter(paper), this thing would pay for itself in about three years.I dont have any hard data nor do any responders thus far. again my question is do any bitogers active in this forum have any apps using this setup? lewk why dont u be the 1st to buy/try and get back to us! FINE!!!!

Like I said before..

Here we go again!

Ok guys. let's just let this one die quietly like we finialy did with the last one that LARRY L tried to sell us.

Speaking of LarryL, How is that much touted filter test going there Larry? close to 8-9 months... Oh yeah, I remember. The manufacturer asked you not to do it, or some such.

pete c
not trying to sell you anything. reread my post if you disagree.opinions,conjecture, hey vulcan einstein quit hijacking my post!

Pete,

Why is it that lately all you want to do is decide when threads should die?

I have had to deal with engineers all my life, and it is often very frustrating. The general attitude of engineers is; they know everything, if you don't get it you are ignorant, if I have to explain it to you your never going to get it anyway, why can't you understand my simple explanation, I may be an engineer because I can not write or speak well, but it is still your fault that you cant understand what I am saying/writing.

End of rant.

As far as metal mesh filters, note what Panterra wrote in this thread.

Filter Testing

quote:

..What beads the filter misses are caught by a woven metal mesh filter downstream...

Sounds like metal mesh filters can be made to work very well, since in his example, the metal mesh filter is catching everything missed by the cellulose/synthetic media.

Financially, I don't see how this product makes any sense for $100. Not only do you have to buy the filter (which is 50 times more expensive than paper filters that I use), but you also have to use a special solvent to clean it (not sure how much that costs).

In addition, I can't seem to find any info on whether it has a bypass valve. It defines what a bypass valve is in their FAQ, but it doesn't actually say whether or not they have one built-in... or maybe I just missed it.

chrisco claims an absolute rating of 35 microns for the media used in this filter.as mileage/time progress filtering efficiency will only improve. any particle larger than 35 microns will not pass. as the unit loads I'm sure the filtering capability far excceds that of standard filters.cost is not the issue.my GM van does not have a bypass valve on the filter so this is not an issue either.for someone considering a full-flow/by-pass setup(me), this alternative would be cost effective and practical as I'd have only have one filter to R&R as opposed to the labor and cost of changing two.again I'm just considering this app but was curious to have input from someone who OPINIONS are not so...SLANTED. FWIW I run Delco OEM filters for at least 10k miles i.e., the filter gets changed every other oil change or sometimes every third oil change yeah.. 15,000 miles.Grizzlies only no more pooh bears please!!

quote:

Originally posted by lewk:
chrisco claims an absolute rating of 35 microns for the media used in this filter.as mileage/time progress filtering efficiency will only improve. any particle larger than 35 microns will not pass. as the unit loads I'm sure the filtering capability far excceds that of standard filters.cost is not the issue.my GM van does not have a bypass valve on the filter so this is not an issue either.for someone considering a full-flow/by-pass setup(me), this alternative would be cost effective and practical as I'd have only have one filter to R&R as opposed to the labor and cost of changing two.again I'm just considering this app but was curious to have input from someone who OPINIONS are not so...SLANTED. FWIW I run Delco OEM filters for at least 10k miles i.e., the filter gets changed every other oil change or sometimes every third oil change yeah.. 15,000 miles.Grizzlies only no more pooh bears please!!

You're the one that's looking for a miracle filter. Instead of complaining about the information you get here, get on the manufacturers case about the skimpy slanted information they give out. Several good points have been made about weaknesses in the filter companies claims, but you choose to ignore them.

You sound like a 6 year old that just got told there is no Santa Claus.

I gotta agree with XS. That filter will allow through large amounts of damaging debris. If you've decided you like the idea of the product, try it, run a UOA and order particle counts. That will tell what you want to know, and you won't have to worry about the opinions of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back