Life is too short to own cheap guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Good evening bitog. The more I shoot and learn from my mistakes I realize its just silly and exhausting to mess around with cheap stuff. Every time I'd think I'd be better off saving that extra $200 or whatever, buying entry level brand x vs brand z, I was eventually sorry for it. Don't ask me how.i know this.

When you buy a nice gun, you appreciate it a lot more, enjoy the heck out of it, and chances are it will last you a lifetime/son's/grandson's...

Just my thoughts here.

I couldn't agree more. First, I love .22 guns. They are so economical to shoot, and just fun to play with. When I was younger, I became quite a fan of the 10/22. And I still am. But they are essentially a utility tool. Very reliable. Quite accurate. Just a great gun.

But recently I have started searching for and buying nicer guns. I recently picked up a Browning grade 2 BL-22 lever action. While it is also very reliable, and even a little more accurate than my 10/22's, it is both a visual and engineering work of art. The high gloss, checkered, walnut stock is just gorgeous. And the scroll engraved receiver adds a very nice touch to it. Then there is the super smooth, short throw action. I bought the BL-22 at a gun show. I am sure that there were many more expensive assault rifles being bought that day. But when I left, both of the gentlemen working security made comments about how beautiful of a gun it was, and jokingly commented that I should put it in their car when I left. I didn't hear them make a single comment when the assault rifles were checked out right before me.

I suspect that, when my wife and I die, and pass our guns on to the kids, they will like the 10/22's because childhood memories were formed, shooting these guns. But I also suspect that the BL-22 will be something that will stay in the family for generations, because everyone will enjoy showing it off, and shooting it.

From now on, I don't plan on buying many "utility" guns. Maybe a nice concealed pistol, and a tactical shotgun. But most everything else that I buy from now on, is going to be something that is a work of art. Beautiful to look at. Fun to handle, because it is engineered so well. Or, perhaps because of historic significance. Nice guns are a joy to collect.

Yep. My Italian beretta is my daily carry as well as a work of art. My first rifle was a gsg-522 and it was a turd. Traded it for a nice walnut stocked henry lever action and never looked back. My first pistol was a hi point. What a turd. Got the beretta. Now we're talking. I wish I would have saved myself the time and money and hassle of just skipping the cheap guns and getting the nice ones. Lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
There is always a middle ground though. Going cheap is usually not the best value. But sometimes folks can get caught in a loop where if they do t have exactly what their heart and mind was set on, they'll be disappointed. Sometimes best value can be had on the low to mid-end. It's complex!

Agreed.

I refuse to spend $1000-$2000+ for a shotgun to go waterfowling for instance. I hunt over saltwater 99% of the time plus it gets banged around in the boat, mud and snow on it, etc... No way I am going to buy a top dollar Benelli, Berretta, etc... and abuse it like that. Too much $$$. Instead I look for a less costly gun that can take the abuse and still function( which frankly some of the top dollar shotguns can't do ).

Instead I look for a lower cost entry point from a gun that will still be reliable. And you CAN do that. Less $$$ does not automatically mean the gun will be poor. I have shot Mossberg's for years( 500, 835, and 935 )and have had NOTHING but excellent results. If I have had any issues the mfg has stood behind the gun 100%( even when "I" screwed up )and fixed and returned the gun to me very quick. Even the high end guns fail but you don't always get the same CS I have seen from Mossberg.

I recently bought a Stoeger shotgun( M3500 )which is a "poor man's" Benelli. The gun is great so far. $560 for it vs $1200+ for a comparable Benelli = no brainer for "MY" needs. My Brother has shot a Stoeger 2000 while waterfowling for 5 years now and he has had no problems and loves it other than the kick( can you say mule ).

My "cheap" guns have taken everything from waterfowl to upland game to deer to turkey. I have shot trap, skeet, and sporting clays with them as well. No complaints here and the money saved was substantial.

The cost of a gun does not mean it will be poor quality. There are affordable guns out there that are excellent quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Life not guns. Gun takes life...

The idiots pulling the trigger is what ends lives not guns!

Please don't tell me a bunch of anti-gun nuts are going to trash this topic....

Groan.

There's always the butthat in the group that tries.
smile.gif
anyways I REALLY miss my 10/22. Such an amazing rifle.

What happened to your 10/22?

I agree, they are a great rifle, I've had a lot of fun with the one my buddy owns
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah I guess I should have clarified - cheap in quality is a waste of time - not necessarily cheaply priced. Generally as a rule, Guns that are only $100 or $200 are really not that good, but Yes there are exceptions to the rule.

For example many good shotguns can be had for under $300 but not many handguns can be had for under $300 that are worth the quality nor the time.

I think the OP blocked me, so I'm not sure he'll see this. To me, guns are heirlooms. My father will pass his guns to me, and I'll pass mine on to my son. I don't need the greatest gun, but I will spend the money on the right gun. If I spend the money up front and get a good gun, I can use it all I want, and still pass down a valuable tool to my son. Guns typically hold their value, so i think it's a good idea to do your homework, and buy the best quality gun for the money.

My 2 HI-Point C9's go BANG every time I pull the trigger just like my Smith & Wesson and my Beretta 40 caliber go bang every time I pull the trigger on them. You shouldn't be on here telling poeple not to buy cheap guns. You should be telling poeple if they want a gun to protect themself and they can't find a cheap used one which are sometimes hard to come by, there is nothing wrong with buying a Hi-point or some other lower priced brand brand. After all it's better than having nothing at all, or would you rather them throw sticks and stones for self defense?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Life not guns. Gun takes life...

Must be from Toronto ....
I agree! Or as some call it "Moronto" lol

Good evening bitog. The more I shoot and learn from my mistakes I realize its just silly and exhausting to mess around with cheap stuff. Every time I'd think I'd be better off saving that extra $200 or whatever, buying entry level brand x vs brand z, I was eventually sorry for it. Don't ask me how.i know this.

When you buy a nice gun, you appreciate it a lot more, enjoy the heck out of it, and chances are it will last you a lifetime/son's/grandson's...

Just my thoughts here.

Agreed! There are things in life you can cheap out on, guns are not one of them. I really like my Ruger's.

Originally Posted By: gmurra
My 2 HI-Point C9's go BANG every time I pull the trigger just like my Smith & Wesson and my Beretta 40 caliber go bang every time I pull the trigger on them. You shouldn't be on here telling poeple not to buy cheap guns. You should be telling poeple if they want a gun to protect themself and they can't find a cheap used one which are sometimes hard to come by, there is nothing wrong with buying a Hi-point or some other lower priced brand brand. After all it's better than having nothing at all, or would you rather them throw sticks and stones for self defense?

I'll lend you my insight. My very first gun, EVER, was a Hi-Point C9. The only guns I had ever fired briefly before that were a 22 rifle, my friend's Glock 23, and a Sig Sauer P229. I began training with the C9 and found I was shooting way off from the target. I adjusted my shooting to match the gun in my hand. Later on I realized after shooting other guns that the C9 was off, not so much me. I adjusted the sights and the sight screw broke off INSIDE the pistol. I couldn't punch it out with a punch, or drill it out, or anything. I'd have to send it in. Shortly after that the gun began significantly malfunctioning on every magazine and had jamming and extraction problems EVERY OTHER round. This was after I got used to the gun and had owned it for longer than a year. I filmed a video (but haven't got around to posting it yet) where I loaded the gun several times and had trouble with the gun picking up rounds and extracting them. Consistently. On top of that there was a handful light primer strikes out on the range. I used both premium and decent quality ammo. I got a rude awakening when I realized how much it was malfunctioning and how it could fail when I needed it most in a CCW situation. I did carry it for a few months, thank GOD I never had to draw it.

So now, you tell me what's more dangerous - not owning a gun or relying on a gun to dissolve a situation by pulling it out, escalating the situation, and having it fail?

Wouldn't characterize a Glock as cheap. They're not attractive, but they're quality. Yeah, I call them ugly, but I own 6...

I tend to go quality. I stumbled upon the Glock that I own in a store that a bunch of people passed over. Its a 22RTF2 and most people hate the grip. My AR's are all from reputable companies, and the one that I have that is assembled is a cheaper lower, but high quality internals.

I have a couple friends that own Taurus handguns that will talk about the lifetime warranty and how great that is, I just quote Tommy Boy when they do that.

I don't get hung up on price so much as value per dollar. My 7mm Mauser has been through several lifetimes on its' path to me and cost only $100 then. Still functions perfectly after 114 years of use.

To the pro Hi Point defenders. I refused to sell them when I had an FFL unless it was a special order. I always tried to steer someone towards the then cheaper Makarovs. I know someone that had one crack the slide and it had a low round count. Another time when I was getting my CCW, we had to shoot to qualify before Iowa loosened their laws. One guy could not pass the shooting test with his 9mm Hi Point. He did fine at 5 yards, mediocre at 15, and atrocious at 25. He failed the test twice. I felt bad thinking it was the gun. I had two 9mm's with me that day, so I lent him my Taurus PT92. He could not crack 70% with his HI point, but with the Taurus on the first attempt he scored an 83%.

So while they may be good for tossing lead downrange, they do leave a lot to be desired.

Rock Island guns are made my Armscor in the Philippines. They are basic but serviceable guns. They are cast versus forged, but if anyone has proven how well you can do with castings, Ruger did that years ago. Sometimes the RIA guns can be a little rough, but they can been given a spit and polish job and do well. STI, a well known and respected arms maker gets their slide/frames for their Spartan line via Armscor last I checked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
So far, I've resisted the $3000 Ed Brown I lust after and stuck to my Glocks. No regrets.

only because you don't know what you're missing

This is an interesting post. Don't scold anyone for buying what he or she wants. If it is a gun for 200 or 20k. Good for the person that buys what they want. The best gun, car, oil that the person wants and can pay for. We have pre 1900 Winchester's xxxxx.xx to H and R .22. $97.78 when I was 19 over 30 years ago. Life is too short to tell someone no don't.
My .02c

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Too_many_Cars
This is an interesting post. Don't scold anyone for buying what he or she wants. If it is a gun for 200 or 20k. Good for the person that buys what they want. The best gun, car, oil that the person wants and can pay for. We have pre 1900 Winchester's xxxxx.xx to H and R .22. $97.78 when I was 19 over 30 years ago. Life is too short to tell someone no don't.
My .02c

I think my post is being misunderstood by some (as usual). When you cheap out on guns these days (not back in 1920 when you bought yours) they're bound to have problems. I think most people know this but many forget or refuse to accept it. An example ... Buying a SCCY pistol vs saving an extra $200 for a Baby Glock or a SIG. Is the SCCY a bad gun? Prolly not. But it won't be the same level of quality as the other two mentioned, and may have issues.

It's much better to save the dough and buy something that will last a lifetime vs a Saturday night special. Get what I'm saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back