Lexus TPMS Light PITA

On our '13 GS350 F Sport the TPMS light tends to illuminate after an hour or so on the freeway.
The tire pressure is set...

Is there something I can do or is this just an electronic bug?
Thanks in advance.

Have you read the TPMS fault code data?

Try adjusting the pressure to the cold spec first thing in the morning, then setting the pressure thresholds.

Could just be time for new sensors as the batteries may be done by now.

Toyota sensors will tell the car they have low batteries and the dealer software can read this. You may have one almost-dead and three low-but-working sensors. Scanning this will tell you a bunch. If you're brave and have an older 32 bit windows laptop, Techstream and an OBD cable are cheap on ebay.

New Pacific (makers of OE denso) sensors are $20 each on ebay. For reference, so you know how much your tire shop is ripping you off.

On my wifes 2011 Avalon I had all five (yes, five) sensors replaced because three of them had low batterys. Expensive, but it was for the wife so what else could I do.

Check your owners manual, there is probably a way to reset the TPMS system with buttons on your dash. Make sure you have the proper PSI in all your tires before you do this. This will only set the "default" tire pressure and won't fix problems with a bad/dead sensor. If that doesn't work you will need a scan tool to find out what is causing the TPMS to light.

I was having the same issue on '12 Camry. Air down each tire by 10 lbs then air back up to proper psi. All the air whooshing by the sensors can help wake them up and give them new life. The spare I just aired up. Tried a bunch of different things including what's already mentioned. Learned the tip from Carcare Nut on YT who is a master Toyota diagnostics tech.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Will refresh the air tomorrow morning 1st thing.
There is a TPMS reset button under the dash.

I will be replacing those stupid sticky Michelin Pilots in a year or so, so that's when the sensors will get replaced.
Who the heck knows?
Or I can just bash that dang light our with my ball peen...

I had that problem for awhile—but then it stopped. At the I had a Jetta too and i thou the Camry was just trying to make me feel at home.

On Toyotas, whatever you do - DO NOT press the TPMS SET button for any reason except to initialize the system after tire work(like rotating tires or setting pressure) and if the TPMS light isn’t on due to a flat tire.

the direct system using individual sensors will get stuck into an infinite loop if that button is pressed carelessly with a bum sensor. You’ll need to do a jumper wire dance to reset the system. Techstream or a aftermarket bi-directional scan tool is required to learn new sensors into a Toyota.

They are replaceable items last 120K max - I get them at costco when doing the new tires. They also program it for the vehicle

They are replaceable items last 120K max - I get them at costco when doing the new tires. They also program it for the vehicle
I don’t think they care about miles, only the years. Maybe some them wake up if they detect rotation and then maybe miles count... dunno, have a set at 10yr and 227k at the moment.

You are right 7 yrs vs miles is the yardstick. On my Highlander never had to replace them but did have to replaced on Lexus at 100K (10 yrs)

Back