Lexus GX470

Just bought a 2007 GX470, and I'm looking at part sources - other than Lexus, that is.
Right now I need calipers & struts.
I have an offer out for a full set of OEM struts, $450, wish me luck. Someone who's liquidating warehouses.
If that fails, back to trying not to pay $1k for a set.
Calipers/pads/rotors: I'm remanufactured phobic, however people have good things to say about NAPA manufactured.
I'm not into offroading, so I don't want monster anything. I'm looking for companies that go toe-to-toe with Lexus and beats them for price/quality/longevity. Maybe even beating them at the longevity game by correcting known issues.
Thanks!

Just bought a 2007 GX470, and I'm looking at part sources - other than Lexus, that is.
Right now I need calipers & struts.
I have an offer out for a full set of OEM struts, $450, wish me luck. Someone who's liquidating warehouses.
If that fails, back to trying not to pay $1k for a set.
Calipers/pads/rotors: I'm remanufactured phobic, however people have good things to say about NAPA manufactured.
I'm not into offroading, so I don't want monster anything. I'm looking for companies that go toe-to-toe with Lexus and beats them for price/quality/longevity. Maybe even beating them at the longevity game by correcting known issues.
Thanks!
Keep an eye on pads and rotors. OE won't cut it if you like more aggressive driving. I have Land Cruiser Prado in Europe, model that is in the US GX470 and brakes are undersized for that weight (and I have under the hood 156hp diesel, not V8 like you). So, pads and rotors, go Brembo, EBC, Hawk.
If doing off road, keep and eye on control arms, bushings etc. I cannot remember how many I replaced and I use vehicle on muddy roads, nothing extreme.

Keep an eye on pads and rotors. OE won't cut it if you like more aggressive driving. I have Land Cruiser Prado in Europe, model that is in the US GX470 and brakes are undersized for that weight (and I have under the hood 156hp diesel, not V8 like you). So, pads and rotors, go Brembo, EBC, Hawk.
If doing off road, keep and eye on control arms, bushings etc. I cannot remember how many I replaced and I use vehicle on muddy roads, nothing extreme.
We use those overseas and they do rebuild the brakes often … my biggest surprise was the drive shaft failures … but they see lots of hours in 4WD …

We use those overseas and they do rebuild the brakes often … my biggest surprise was the drive shaft failures … but they see lots of hours in 4WD …
Aren’t they full time 4wd? My wife’s old 2014 was. Had to grease the propeller shaft occasionally or you’d get a clunk. I don’t know if the brakes changed between 2007 and 2014 but ours stopped pretty well.

OP-how many miles on yours?

... I'm looking for companies that go toe-to-toe with Lexus and beats them for price/quality/longevity. Maybe even beating them at the longevity game by correcting known issues.
Thanks!

As a 40 year veteran of Toyota/Lexus, don't hold your breath. Price will be easy to beat. Quality and longevity and FIT will not be beat 95% of the time. I have a 2007 GX470 and love it. Watch the right side front speaker and possible white paint peel on the hood and front fender seams.
A rattle may develop and it will be in the sun roof.

Aren’t they full time 4wd? My wife’s old 2014 was. Had to grease the propeller shaft occasionally or you’d get a clunk. I don’t know if the brakes changed between 2007 and 2014 but ours stopped pretty well.

OP-how many miles on yours?
Off road in 4WD … they had those selectors based on terrain (company vehicles), but these were soft roads with snow over that …

I solved issue with EBC pads and rotors (I had same issue with OE on Sienna). Rotors would constantly vibrate. 10-15k km and they are done, especially if there is some hard braking on speeds above 140-150km/h.

I solved issue with EBC pads and rotors (I had same issue with OE on Sienna). Rotors would constantly vibrate. 10-15k km and they are done, especially if there is some hard braking on speeds above 140-150km/h.

That was the biggest issue with a friend's 2017 Land Cruiser Prado, what a nightmare. I installed EBC Ultimax2 pads and DBA 4000 Series T3 rotors for him, and there's been no issues since.

Back