Lex GS350 uspension clunking backing out of driveway

Our '13 Lexus GS350 F Sport has 77K; I bought it under CPO a little over 2 years ago. This is the RWD model, not the AWD.
When backing out of the fairly steep driveway (backing upwards toward the road) and then cranking the wheel all the way to the left, there is a strong clunking sound that appears to come from the left front suspension area. Backing off the steering wheel quiets the clunking.
This problem is not new, but seems to be getting somewhat worse.
The car drives and handles perfectly otherwise. This is my best excuse for not looking into this problem earlier.
Flame suit on...

I am guessing it may be a worn sway bar link; I will pull the wheel tomorrow and see if I can find anything.
Any guidance?

My educated guess would be control arm bushings.

My RWD IS350 with 60k miles had the same issue. It was also also noticeable when braking at high speed (vibrations).

I've had clunking sounds from both tie rod ends and ball joints. To check the tie rods jack the front end up, grab each wheel at 3 and 9 positions wiggling side to side and see if there's any play in the tie rod. To check the ball joints grab at 12 and 6 positions rocking the wheel back a forth checking for play in the ball joint or jack the car up and use a prybar between the ground and wheel while checking for play. Usually for me if the clunking is while turning it's a bad tie rod end. Ball joint usually make noise when driving over speedbumps or rough roads.

good idea to rack it and check all the components
This is the smart recommendation; I am just too cheap!
But there is a good shop near me; I may end up there.

I need to do a brake inspection as well. F-Sport brakes squeal loudly when cold.

Last edited:
We call it "frugal" here but given that there could be several different items creating or contributing to the noise, you need to look at them all.

Pretty much everything listed already could legitimately be "it".

My Malibu winter beater does it. It's the brake pads shifting in the caliper brackets when I step on the brakes going backwards. It's just what it does there's nothing wrong

Check the sway bar links/bushings. Later model Toyota products VERY rarely have front end issues tie rods/controls arms/balljoints) at that mileage.

I need to do a brake inspection as well. F-Sport brakes squeal loudly when cold.
Unless it is something that started to happen, F-Sport have aggressive compound not regular POS compound Toyota uses.

Back