Letter about oil seepage from P&W on 737

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a sorta stale subject in the safety community I work in but perhaps it is of interest to someone in this forum.

Why is there oil on the engine cowling?

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The Flight Crew looks at this and all other parts of the airplane prior to each flight. Here is what makes this condition so common.

Pratt & Whitney’s JT8D engine has an oil tank that if installed in the "normal" (level) position holds 5 U.S. gallons. On the 737-200 aircraft, Boeing has installed an oil quantity transmitter in this tank at a location common to either left or right engine. The 737’s left engine is installed with a 6-degree angle that will allow for additional oil capacity. Also, the left engine’s tank filler and breather vent is on the outboard side, out of sight from inside the cabin. In contrast, the right engine also has a 6-degree angle but it’s tilted in a way that allows for less oil capacity. Oil leaking and/or breather venting is also much more obvious.

The oil system of this model of engine includes air seals, which introduce compressor air into various compartments for sealing purposes. This air system naturally causes breather pressure, which is vented in very close proximity to the oil tank filler described above. There is an air/oil separator (slinger), which removes almost all of the oil from the vapor, but this separator is over taxed whenever the oil level is too high in the tank.

With an equal amount of oil in each tank the right hand engine’s oil level is much closer to the tank’s filler limit. That is to say, the right engine’s oil level is usually kept as close to the top of the filler port as possible. In fact, due to some other design characteristics, the tank’s level does not stay constant when an engine is shut down. Consequently, servicing after long periods of parking can contribute to a higher then normal tank level. This overfilling condition is not usually considered a major concern because after all, the worst thing that can happen is it will blow out the breather vent and run off the cowling and the reverser.

On every flight that passes through Anchorage a mechanic checks the oil quantity gauges and records it in the maintenance logbook. Each engine’s oil tank quantity is also physically checked each night. All oil added at any time is recorded in the aircraft’s maintenance logbook. The Power plant Reliability Group tracks each engine’s oil utilization daily as part of the trend-monitoring program. An investigation is called for any engine that exceeds a limit of .25 quarts consumption per flight hour (leaking and/or burning). P&W’s maximum consumption limit is 2.0 quarts per hour.

Granted, because of the inherent nature of oil showing on the cowling it could give the appearance that we are ignoring a potential problem. However, we have a system in place to keep this well within the allowable limit.

This is why generally speaking these engines, and many more are run about 1 quart below specs

You can add the rest but you will find it on the cowling after the next trip.

Worse yet some of the oil makes its way past the carbon seals and gives a burning turbine oil smell in the cockpit. Not a nice thing at 40 West....

I read something on a aviation web site saying that over 4000 737's have been built making them the most common airliner model currently flying, I don't know if it is true but it is interesting, also somewhere in Canada an airline is still flying DC-3's and Curtis C-46's.

No, the old Ford Tri-motors stopped flying to Put-In-Bay a number of years ago. Griffing Flying Service, out of Sandusky, now provides air service to the Lake Erie Islands with more modern equipment.

Going to visit Put-In-Bay (by boat) this weekend!

Going to Frosty ??
I used to hate stumbling down that hill in a stupor trying to find our boat in the marina.
cheers.gif

If you come to Leamington, stop uptown and say HELLO.

I once saw this described oil leak on the cowl of a 737-200, inflight. I was wondering if there was a problem.

As a former Delta Connection flight attendant, I was under the impression that jet engines burned quite a bit of oil. I remember seeing, quite regularly, technicians adding oil to the planes I flew on (EMB-120 with P&W turoprops on them). I never considered this consumption to be something serious. They didn't seem to get very excited about it.

ASA is the airline I'm referring to. Yep...Brasilia. I quit in 1997, and I'm not sure if they're even using them anymore. They bought a big fleet of Canadairs shortly after I left (which sucks for me) The Brasilia was pretty fun...and being the only flight attendant on board has its rewards. We had a crash a few months after I started (Carrollton, GA Aug 1995) which unnerved everyone for a while, but it subsided. That flight attendant survived, but never flew again.

Was that the one that had a propeller problem in flight?

I heard those Brasilias were pretty fast for a turboprop, and flew nearly as high as jets. The negative about them was cabin noise levels. IMO they were pretty loud inside, and hopefully the pilot could synchronize the props good.

There was a fatal crash in the 80's caused by an uncommanded reverser on one prop, and the crash in 1995 in Carrollton GA was a prop separation. That one scared the crapola out of me. Hamilton Standard at fault.

Takeoff and climbout was noisy as h-e-l-l but once at cruise, they'd throttle it back and it wasn't that bad. I found the vibrations at cruise kinda soothing actually....I fell asleep in the jumpseat a few times on long flights. The pilots called it a 'hot rod'...apparently pretty fast for a turbo-prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back