Let’s talk blood, plasma donation.

They make very valuable medicines from plasma donations. I think it helps burn victims the most. I donated plasma 2X a week for a while when I needed extra cash. It wasn't too pleasant of an experience though as most of the other folks donating are not exactly law abiding citizens.

Great topic and wonderful to hear from other donors. I got into donating blood because of my dad... as a kid, I watched him quietly go about his donations, he did this for many years. I noticed this and it really made an impression on me. Now an adult, I want to help others and I am fortunate to be a large healthy person with good veins. I started out donating whole blood about 20 years ago and have been doing components for the last 8 years. This is one of the ways I give back to the community. It feels great to help people in serious trouble. The apheresis process takes a few hours but that's not a big deal, I can watch a movie or read a book and I get a nice snack afterward... I am hopeful someday we will be able to nap while donating, haha! The biggest impact on my life is that donors need to "take it easy" for 3 full days following a donation -- no vigorous exercise, no hot tubs, etc. This cuts into my active lifestyle but I manage to work around it by donating early in the work week so that I'm ready to play when the weekend arrives.

When I had my motorcycle accident I used up 14 units of blood. It took about 2 years of recovery, but I went and donated at blood, figuring its my way of paying it forward, and hoping that my donation will help save a life. My life was saved by someone I will never meet, and now its my turn to do the same.

Back