Let’s talk blood, plasma donation.

I for one will say I’m thankful I’m healthy, disease free and have good strong veins to donate platelets or and plasma. I was researching this topic and found out that in the late 70’s and early 80’s the Red Cross took people right off the street and paid them to donate blood. Kinda scary as the questions they ask nowadays I doubt they asked back then. How many blood donors do we have here at BITOG?

Only plasma donors can be paid, because plasma is processed and filtered to a degree that it is unlikely to transmit disease. It is illegal to pay donors for whole blood or red cells. The Red Cross doesn't pay donors for anything. Other companies do that, but generally only in larger towns and cities. The paid plasma business attracts really sketchy people.

I couldn't get anyone to call me back a few years ago. I wanted to donate my plasma. Obviously, it doesn't bode well.....

When I went to Boot camp in 1970 they would take all the recruits to Balboa Naval hospital to give blood, gave us a steak dinner for donating, haven't donated in a while, need to. Tried to give once and they denied me because I served overseas, said I had to wait at least 5 yrs to make sure I didn't bring anything back. :rolleyes:

It’s not for me. If I see a needle coming near me I’m running I’m just like my dad lol. My mom and sister give blood occasionally. I don’t even know what kind of blood I have though I’ve always wanted to know but it’s not worth being stuck with a needle. I do respect anyone that chooses too donate though. I’m not a donor of any blood, plasma or organs.

Back in the early nineties there was a plasma donation center next to a bus station where I caught a transfer on my way to college. After watching all the scuzzy looking street people coming in and out of that place, I asked about it and apparently a lot of the "residents" of the Union Gospel mission down the street would come in once a week and donate plasma to get $10 bucks. I remembered feeling pretty resolved never to need a transfusion if I could ever help it.

Last edited:
It’s not for me. If I see a needle coming near me I’m running I’m just like my dad lol. My mom and sister give blood occasionally. I don’t even know what kind of blood I have though I’ve always wanted to know but it’s not worth being stuck with a needle. I do respect anyone that chooses too donate though. I’m not a donor of any blood, plasma or organs.

I've donated whole blood many times in my life, but age has finally caught up with me. I take blood thinners now and wouldn't want someone to get anticoagulants in a transfusion. It is a noble gift of life that any healthy person can give without issue.

The only time I ever regretted it was when I gave blood in the afternoon, and had to work the midnight shift that night. Don't ever do that! Give yourself at least a full day to recover.

I've been donating blood to Childrens Hospital of Colorado for years. Every 8 weeks. I've given well over 10 gallons in my lifetime. The look on the parents faces there every time I go in reminds me why I do it.
You and others that do are valuable. I went to donate platelets Thursday and the lady “infiltrated” me for the third time in my life. I even said “just ram the needle harder and farther in next time why don’t you!”

Surprisingly, no bruising or pain but I was NOT happy. I said something to the supervisor about it. She said some are good and some are bad (phlebotomist’s)

I’ll wait a long while til’ I go back

I make my 76th donation this coming Monday, May 31. I started donating whole blood because the organization I was with at the time encouraged it and gave us paid time to donate. I switched to donating platelets a couple years ago and do so as often as possible.

You and others that do are valuable. I went to donate platelets Thursday and the lady “infiltrated” me for the third time in my life. I even said “just ram the needle harder and farther in next time why don’t you!”

Surprisingly, no bruising or pain but I was NOT happy. I said something to the supervisor about it. She said some are good and some are bad (phlebotomist’s)

I’ll wait a long while til’ I go back
Last time I gave blood was April 19, 1995. My Mom was having surgery and family members were asked to donate a pint. I remember the date because that was the day of the Oklahoma City bombing. I **** near died. Had a terrible reaction. I remember the technician telling me “Don’t come back here again.” YMMV but that was it for me. I wish I could tolerate it. I admire those that can.

Only plasma donors can be paid, because plasma is processed and filtered to a degree that it is unlikely to transmit disease. It is illegal to pay donors for whole blood or red cells. The Red Cross doesn't pay donors for anything. Other companies do that, but generally only in larger towns and cities. The paid plasma business attracts really sketchy people.

Sketchy people for sure.

I live close to 2 plasma donation centers and it is exactly this. I want to donate but an hesitant to.

Back