Blood, plasma, platelet donation question

I have wondered this for a while. I am a platelet donor; and they always have a I.V. Looking bag hanging up near the plasma, platelet collection bags. I’m wondering if this is similar to a I.V. Bag. Someone told me it may be a “supplement/rinse back bag to help prevent your blood from clotting. I know there are some medical experts here. Thank You all

Attachments

• 3A532FE1-A638-4FF8-8FF0-9D02C4BA172F.jpeg
    3A532FE1-A638-4FF8-8FF0-9D02C4BA172F.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 34
The needle is in your arm vein, so by definition it is an intravenous process.

The larger bag is saline which is used to rinse fluids through the machine but most of it is pumped into the donor to replace fluid that was removed.

The small bag contains a citrate compound which is mixed with the blood to prevent it from clotting while stored outside the body. In a whole blood donation, the citrate is pre-loaded in the receiving bag, which is why the tech will come around and shake the bag to ensure it gets mixed with the blood.

The needle is in your arm vein, so by definition it is an intravenous process.

The larger bag is saline which is used to rinse fluids through the machine but most of it is pumped into the donor to replace fluid that was removed.

The small bag contains a citrate compound which is mixed with the blood to prevent it from clotting while stored outside the body. In a whole blood donation, the citrate is pre-loaded in the receiving bag, which is why the tech will come around and shake the bag to ensure it gets mixed with the blood.
Thank You sir for the explanation and info 👍🇺🇸

Several years ago, I called a couple organizations to donate platelets and no one returned my calls. It was a sour experience. But, I'm in the middle of the desert...Nice job on the donation sir!

Several years ago, I called a couple organizations to donate platelets and no one returned my calls. It was a sour experience. But, I'm in the middle of the desert...Nice job on the donation sir!
Some of the plasma centers have a real attitude about donors, so they do things like not return calls. I don't understand why.

I used to give plasma. After I moved to my present location, on my first (and only) visit, the center nearest me kept me waiting for hours before deciding to defer me indefinitely because of meds I was on. The center wouldn't say which one(s) was/were the problem. My doctor was baffled at the decision, as she and I had discussed the meds before I went to the center and she saw no problem with donating plasma on those meds. The behavior of the center staff was arrogant and callous.

Some of the plasma centers have a real attitude about donors, so they do things like not return calls. I don't understand why.

I used to give plasma. After I moved to my present location, on my first (and only) visit, the center nearest me kept me waiting for hours before deciding to defer me indefinitely because of meds I was on. The center wouldn't say which one(s) was/were the problem. My doctor was baffled at the decision, as she and I had discussed the meds before I went to the center and she saw no problem with donating plasma on those meds. The behavior of the center staff was arrogant and callous.
Sir: I’m glad I have good veins and am healthier(blood psi, Wright wise) and can donate plasma or platelets.

Off topic also: your town/city in your signature; there is a town Hopewell 15 minutes from me. Thought I’d share that😊😊

It is anticoagulant, makes my lips buzz a bit on my first return. Staff combats the buzz with Tums if you ask for them.

I have I think about 30 platelet donations to my name(I'd have to check) but I never fully understood the function of it all even though I asked questions. I know one of the wavers mentions the citrate and tingly lips, and I do know the saline makes me freeze and also I've had them yank me off before(usually at close to the 2 hour mark) because I had to pee so badly I couldn't stand it-I think that's the saline also.

When I lived in Louisville(KY) I went to the main Red Cross office downtown. They were incredible and I also got to know the ladies who worked there fairly well(as you do after going regularly and going that many times). I got to where I'd forgo watching TV just because I enjoyed chatting with them.

After moving to St. Louis, I got my wife onboard with donating. We went to a blood drive and did whole blood, which was a first for both of us(I'd only ever done platelets, and was surprised at how fast and easy it was) and she was open to trying platelets.

We made an appointment at one of the field offices near us(Fairview Heights, IL) and had a less than great experience. My wife is a nurse and was really upset about some of it. She got deferred because her hemoglobin was .1 below their cut-off, but also said the person who took it did it in a way that she was taught in nursing school would give artificially low readings. When I use to give back in Louisville, I always would do one arm because my left arm is really difficult to stick. I asked at the one near us now, and they point blank told me their machines(same as the ones used back in Louisville) could only do 2 arm. They rooted around and finally put it in my left wrist, which left it immobile for 2 hours. As a whole, too, we didn't find the office particularly polite or welcoming, and aside from my wrist being immobile it hurt like heck for days(again, my nurse wife said that was a last resort location for her, and was especially upset that they only looked at my elbow and didn't try my forearm).

I have had to stop doing the apheresis donations. Last 3 times I have done it they had to stop about 3/4 through due to me not feeling well, once I actually passed out.
This is after doing 30-40 of them, not sure why I suddenly started having issues with it.
I now just donate whole blood every few months.

I have had to stop doing the apheresis donations. Last 3 times I have done it they had to stop about 3/4 through due to me not feeling well, once I actually passed out.
This is after doing 30-40 of them, not sure why I suddenly started having issues with it.
I now just donate whole blood every few months.
You are a great individual sir. Thank You 🇺🇸🇺🇸🍺👍

I’m healthy, have real good veins so if my platelets go to leukemia patient, cancer patient etc; I am happy I could help possibly save a life. As I strive to stay active and drop more weight, paying this forward motivates me. Good day to all 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍🍺

Back