Let's talk about stolen cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? They jacked your car for misc cheap parts? They didn't even remove the radiator the easy way, judging by the bent mount and cut hose, they had to work at it. Idiots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
One thing I noticed...yellow writing on the cam cover. Err...was that there before?

Probably had a junkyard engine put in it at one time before this happened.

That is why I think it was the same engine. Seller told me "the engine was from a 2000." And there was a disconnected ECU that seems to indicate that that was true.

Also agreeing that the stuff they took amd left... makes no sense. I suspect an inside job from my apartment complex.

Next question: Are junkyard deposits on parts refundable?

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
Seriously? They jacked your car for misc cheap parts? They didn't even remove the radiator the easy way, judging by the bent mount and cut hose, they had to work at it. Idiots.

That's where I'm at. Since when do you jack a car for parts of unknown quality, then leave virtually everything in tact. Makes me want to shoot someone.

And this is what I get for not tuning in to BITOG as frequently. If car-part.com still has a $70 WHITE 2-door trunklid then I will try for my $40 deposit back with AAA Auto Salvage at Linden/Rahway border.. (1&9 South) because even if they dont give it back - I have receipt - [censored]..

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
9bfc04f59b3908d5802fc609e3e87811.jpg

Where is your trunk lid? They stole that too?

Yes.

I had 2 35-packs of bottled water in that trunk. And a full tank of gas. Filled it up before I parked it, actually.

We will see if that gas is still there... the fuel door is still closed and the engine is still in. So...

Is that the Pulaski Skyway in the background?

Yes.

Dente is right down the street from the jail
On Doremus Ave. They treated me like a human being, too. I respected that.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Sedans and coupes do not interchange.

car-part.com shows a green one for $60 in Andover and a white one for $70.

Do you have it running yet?

It resides at the trusted mechanic at this time. We had to tow the Blazer back out. One car per customer.

I asked the salvage yard to call me when they get a VIN W spider for that one. (see vehicle pics thread in photo section)

Do you think AAA Auto Salvage will give back my $40 Deposit?

Sedans and coupes do not interchange.

car-part.com shows a green one for $60 in Andover and a white one for $70.

Do you have it running yet?

It is the Mahic Auto Salvage in Paterson NJ one, right?

My god. You think AAA "bought" that one, and is expecting to sell it to me at $125 profit??

MP, Judging from your other posts on your 'not so trusty steed', you might consider looking for another vehicle and stop throwing good money after bad on this one. Sorry this one is causing you so much trouble.

I would assume the junkyard deposit is not refundable, but I doesn't hurt to just call them and ask. If they already ordered the part, they're not gonna want to give you the deposit back. That's why they make you put down a deposit: so you don't tell them to order a part and never actually buy it, and now they bought a part that may be difficult to resell.

It's pretty likely they bought that trunk lid from that other yard. After all, they're obviously buying it from somewhere, why not that yard?

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I would assume the junkyard deposit is not refundable, but I doesn't hurt to just call them and ask. If they already ordered the part, they're not gonna want to give you the deposit back. That's why they make you put down a deposit: so you don't tell them to order a part and never actually buy it, and now they bought a part that may be difficult to resell.

It's pretty likely they bought that trunk lid from that other yard. After all, they're obviously buying it from somewhere, why not that yard?

I plan on calling the $70 yard and asking them.

And if they don't have it, then.. I got royally hosed.

And my receipt says "Yard Credit" I can get.

Now I just need to find that receipt...

The idea that he maybe saw a $70 part because he checked for it before I did and will now cost me $214 (thanks, tax) is...
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
MP, Judging from your other posts on your 'not so trusty steed', you might consider looking for another vehicle and stop throwing good money after bad on this one. Sorry this one is causing you so much trouble.

I made these posts about the Honda?

If your deposit isn't refundable buy either the radiator you apparently need or get a nearly new battery that you can then just resell on craigslist or something.

If your deposit isn't refundable buy either the radiator you apparently need or get a nearly new battery that you can then just resell on craigslist or something.

10.gif
Other parts. Check!
thumbsup2.gif

I found the spot for the $70 one (I am buying it first before I ask about ANY credit) but they were closed.
frown.gif

IF the $70 one is mysteriously no longer available .. then I will have a pretty good idea of what happened.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
99% of the time police will not go out of thier way to search for a stolen car.

Not true in Newark and most other large American cities. They have entire police units that do nothing but look for stolen cars. Many agencies have gone to the trap method, where they no longer persue stolen cars, but box them in, or trap them, with a team of officers in banged up older undercover police cars.

Yeah, there's a chance a stolen vehicle can end up on a freighter bound for Africa or the Middle East...

I got to look at my stolen, now recovered (thank God) Honda today. Found out a more thorough list of stolen parts, that does in fact seem to suggest "crackheaded robbery:"

Missing:
- Headlights
- Battery
- Radiator
- TRUNK LID
- WIPER BLADES
- Radio.
- Spark plug wires (*presumably spark plugs are still in.)
- possible air filter

But? Get this..
- "Nothing else was taken." (All they got from the trunk was my 2 35-packs of water. No speakers to be had)
- Mechanic said they "REPLACED DISTRIBUTOR WITH A MESSED UP ONE?" (So they got my distributor... wires all cut.)

Wth? Why would they do that?

They LEFT the:
- Interior IN TACT. Untouched.
- It is still my engine in there. I even recognize the oil.
- All glass.
- All suspension components.
- I guess I will see when we start it if I still have a full tank of gas.

And then they left it somewhere where it was found. The other Honda they took.. Engine missing, a lot of stuff.

Does this make any sense? Or does it point to a crackhead?

It points to another 95 honda owner. The distributors go out all the time on these. Someone went street "shopping" for a car they could get parts off of to tune up their honda. They probably had a shaved key, your car predated immobilizers by a couple years and mid 90s hondas and toyotas are STILL the most stolen cars, same as they were ten years ago, because they're STILL on the road.

Sadly I'd give the tow guys the title for all the parking expenses and start over with some other $700 car.
frown.gif

Back in the day my father's caddy was stolen from a hotel parking lot (We were in Raleigh for my Jr. Olympics meet). 4 months later it was found abandoned in a neighborhood about 3 miles away. The trunk was full of track uniforms.

Turned out that the kids got in because driver side door lock was broken and would not fully engage. On that car there was no way to know unless you just tried to open the door. Thankfully for my dad insurance had paid off a couple of months prior.

We did get even however. My mom had some mess in the car which you weren't supposed to take with alcohol. Doing so would make you vomit. There was vomit inside the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back