Let's Step Back In Time - 1960s drag racing

Ok guys (and gals & fellow Canadians), let's step into the time machine. Here for your viewing pleasure is a dragster from the 1960's era.
I remember reading about this dragster in my CAR CRAFT or HOT ROD magazines in the 80's. I always wondered who was behind the glass driving this vintage hot rod.
ENJOY!

Last edited by a moderator:
content

On a more serious note, I used to do business with Jim Barillaro. He always had some crazy wheel standing car. Even back then, they were pushing thousands of HP in top fuel cars.

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
You ca see the early 60's grand prix "scuderia" car inspiration in the nose of that slingshot dragster.

Ronnie Sox, used to be a big name at the drag strips around Chicago. Team was 'Sox&Martin'
View attachment 138443

'Big Daddy' Don Gartlits made runs at the digs near Chicago and Wisconsin too.

View attachment 138444
In Ocala, FL. is BIG Daddys museum. If you're ever near there go visit. It's mind knumbing (in a good way)!
My son and I have been to the Gator Nationals several times. I would plan my vacation time around it.
I used to go to the Cajun Nationals in Erwinville, LA. (Baton Rouge, La.) when it was on the NHRA circuit.
Any Snowbirds here? Ever go to the Snowbird Nationals in Bradenton, FL.?
A lot of Canadian Snowbirds attend it.

Brother and I would have race Snake vs Mongoose Hotwheel races daily..
Have you ever heard of SIZZLERS? In the early 70's my brother had an oval SIZZLER track with 2 cars. Sometimes we would charge them up and let them peel out in our Rice Crispies.

I had some Revell Grumpy Jenkins 1969 and 1970-1/2 Camaro models. My brother had his 1972 Vega Revell model.
My brother built/used to own a 1975 Cosworth Vega with a 396, Powerglide transmission, narrowed and tubbed 12 bolt posi with 4:56 gears, rollbar, tilt front end, and Lexan glass all around. It would move quite fast.

the GOOD old days when cars looked better + innovation + skill won races!!!! today theres still skill BUT without BIG $$$$$$ many would be LOST + the tech as well has killed REAL old fashioned racing IMO!!

Remember seeing the Coca Cola Cavalcade funny cars in the late 60s and early 70s at Thompson drag raceway in Northeast Ohio...along with the Little Red Wagon and Art Arfons jet car....Favorite funny car was Fred Goeske Plymouth Road Runner and Mister Norms Charger.

the GOOD old days when cars looked better + innovation + skill won races!!!! today theres still skill BUT without BIG $$$$$$ many would be LOST + the tech as well has killed REAL old fashioned racing IMO!!
I do agree with you somewhat. But with today's funny cars and top fuel dragsters putting out 11K + horsepower that is exhilarating! You can LITERALLY see the air moving right in front of your eyes when they race! I think this is something everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime.

I do agree with you somewhat. But with today's funny cars and top fuel dragsters putting out 11K + horsepower that is exhilarating! You can LITERALLY see the air moving right in front of your eyes when they race! I think this is something everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime.
I couldn’t agree more! I’m a lifelong circle track guy and was blown away by my first visit to a drag strip 16 years ago. The power, smell and acceleration is unbelievable.

Just my $0.02

Back