Lets see your home defense set ups and lube choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Have you ever considered moving to a better area so you don't have to live with that sort of paranoia all the time?

Most of the time around here the doors are unlocked and open, windows are open, and it's not uncommon to run to town and leave the house unlocked and the garage or shop door open.

Rural living isn't as safe as one might think. Numerous data exists that suggests otherwise.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23886781
"Using total injury death rate as an overall safety metric, US urban counties were safer than their rural counterparts, and injury death risk increased steadily as counties became more rural. Greater emphasis on elevated injury-related mortality risk outside of large cities, attention to locality-specific injury prevention priorities, and an increased focus on matching emergency care needs to emergency care resources are in order."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457509001092
"The death rate from many common causes in the United States (US) is significantly higher in rural, compared to urban areas (Eberhardt et al., 2001), even accounting for the older age of the rural population (Wright et al., 1985). This higher mortality rate among rural residents can be attributed to a higher incidence of unintentional injury and traumatic deaths (Svenson et al., 1996)."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-0361.2008.00188.x/full
"Despite higher levels of physical activity, rural adolescents experienced a higher prevalence of overweight than their urban counterparts."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pds.1626/abstract;jsessionid=C478DAC6FF6652DB2249C7025EB9877E.f03t03
"Unintentional and undetermined drug poisoning mortality rates rose 62% from 1999 to 2004. Metropolitan county rates rose 51%, an increase of 2.66/100 000, while nonmetropolitan county rates rose 159%, an increase of 4.81/100 000."

Exactly I cannot believe the word paranoid gets brought up at all. Dude got shot next door last week. So to each there own but it seems silly to limit yourself. Where I live my ar's are by far the best choice for bump in the night situations.
Brings me to me second point. I love my thermal monocular and 3a NV scope, does anyone else use NV devices.
Also not sure how to post pics here yet I'll get back to that.

This x100 little towns like mine get eaten from the inside out. The availability of drugs is the amazing thing, and I'd bet some small towns would give larger cities a run for there money on drug consumption.

Chance favors the prepared mind. Therefore I have a Car-15 and a 357 Ruger in the bedroom. Used to have an M1 carbine with hollow points in it, but the lack of reliability for the 30 round M1 carbine mags made me switch to the AR platform.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Weapon lights are ESSENTIAL in my experience.

What experience, may I ask?

Extensive.

So... your home gets broken into that often?

Nice Beretta, btw.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Have you ever considered moving to a better area so you don't have to live with that sort of paranoia all the time?

I live in one of the safest communities in Florida. Low crime rate. I'm the least paranoid guy on the block. It's hilarious that you think others with more preparations, planning, and training than you are "paranoid". *****.

Wilson/AAC mutt in .300blk. Jager pro 3a NV scope, ir laser, specwar can, running 110gr Barnes tac-tx.

DDm4v5 running one of dd's sbn barrels, nightforce nxs 1-4 fc2, surefire break, surfire 6px tactical, running mostly blackhills 50/62gr tsx, and have had good results with rem 62gr core-lokt ultra bonded. Run a lot of mk262 but that's mostly for fun.

Sig 229 9mm, factory night sights, houge g10 grips, running 124gr federal hst's

FLIR thermal monocular, forget the resolution it's old by today's standards, same with the night vision which is still great but has been outclassed since white phosphorus tubes came about.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Pistol by my bed. The rest seems overkill to me. I mean, you hear bump in the night, now you have to choose your weapon. Less is better. Pick one weapon and pray for the best outcome.

Pistols are secondary weapons. Less powerful, much less accurate. As someone else stated earlier, you grab the pistol when you hear a bump but dont actually think it's anything. When someone is kicking down your front door, you grab a long gun.

I like options. The AR is really the go to gun. If I have time to see outside and see that it's one single perp, I might grab the shotgun. Might. Like I said, I like options.

Pistol by my bed. The rest seems overkill to me. I mean, you hear bump in the night, now you have to choose your weapon. Less is better. Pick one weapon and pray for the best outcome.

Pistols are secondary weapons. Less powerful, much less accurate. As someone else stated earlier, you grab the pistol when you hear a bump but dont actually think it's anything. When someone is kicking down your front door, you grab a long gun.

I like options. The AR is really the go to gun. If I have time to see outside and see that it's one single perp, I might grab the shotgun. Might. Like I said, I like options.

Not to mention that a 5.56mm round will often go through fewer walls if you miss versus most pistol rounds.

I am armed to the teeth. I train weekly. I live outside any city limits.
My "home defense weapon" is a 1911. I have had for years and it is an extension of my arm.It resides on my nightstand unless the Grandkids are here then it is in the safe.

The rest of the arsenal is for Miltia Duty if required.

Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I just have a Bersa Firestorm 380 with two clips. I guess I'm under powered. :)) Ed

Ed, I think you're better off than most.

The first rule of a gunfight: have a gun.

Drug dealers are often equipped with heavy weapons.
The law should have napalm available when flash-bangs just don't get it.

So you're going to get up at 3am, grab the pistol, go investigate and then head back for a different weapon?

If my 11 rounds of .45 don't scare away or end the confrontation then that's where I bid you all goodbye. I keep my AR locked up. I'm more worried about my cholesterol than death by a violent criminal. I trust you have that under control because heart disease is a bigger killer than criminals.

If your arteries clog up your wife and kids aren't tortured, raped, murdered, whatever. Doctors are also more dangerous than criminals if you look at the numbers.

Quote:
So you're going to get up at 3am, grab the pistol, go investigate and then head back for a different weapon?
Yes, no, and maybe depending on the situation. See how nice it is to have options.

Last edited:

If my 11 rounds of .45 don't scare away or end the confrontation then that's where I bid you all goodbye. I keep my AR locked up. I'm more worried about my cholesterol than death by a violent criminal. I trust you have that under control because heart disease is a bigger killer than criminals.

If I lived in New Jersey like you do, my home defense set up would look vastly different. Most likely a shotgun, with a wood stock, that looked like an average hunting gun. Your prosecutors and laws are of a different cloth than mine. I live in the free part of America, where personal liberty is still honored. As such, I choose to have the best hardware available to me, which is an auto-loading rifle in a potent caliber that holds 30 rounds in its magazine.

Also, following the law of averages from past gun fights, your 11 shot pistol means 7.7 misses and 3.3 hits if you had to fire all 11 rounds. Now you may or may not do better than that, but that is about all that can be expected from an average pistol shooter.

Some people are content with just a pistol. I am not. If all I had was a pistol, then I would do a bang up job with it and most likely prevail, but I would still wish I had a long gun in my hands.

But lets get back on topic. This thread was to show what I use and to ask others to post what they use. Not for any scientific study, but more for the conversational aspect and to compare notes.

Originally Posted By: Itonlysmokesalit
posted all his great hardware

This guy has some nice hardware. Short barrel rifle ($200 tax stamp) with suppressor (another $200 tax stamp) plus night vision. I am envious. I would love to have a suppressor and short barrel rifle, but I can't stomach the idea of tax stamps from the BATF and their onerous rules and regulations to do so.

Originally Posted By: Itonlysmokesalit
posted all his great hardware

This guy has some nice hardware. Short barrel rifle ($200 tax stamp) with suppressor (another $200 tax stamp) plus night vision. I am envious. I would love to have a suppressor and short barrel rifle, but I can't stomach the idea of tax stamps from the BATF and their onerous rules and regulations to do so.

Thanks man, yeah among others the BATF is an oginization I strongly feel we can do without. The thermal was by far the most expensive purchase(this was back a few years), Technology has done amazing things with night devices. I wish the .300blk was an sbr, I think the scope makes the 16" Wilson barrel seem shorter. Honestly the worst thing is the wait, and now with 41f the BATF randomly decided to change how a trust works come july 13. I should have form 1d that gun along time ago cause its a beast with that can and scope. Cool thing with the blackout is in barrel lengths down to 8" it maintains its velocity. Something I wonder about however is even in the great state of Florida would a legal shooting with an nfa item come back to bite you in the [censored]? Can't seem to get a legitimate answer.

Edit

If I lived in New Jersey like you do, my home defense set up would look vastly different. Most likely a shotgun, with a wood stock, that looked like an average hunting gun. Your prosecutors and laws are of a different cloth than mine. I live in the free part of America, where personal liberty is still honored. As such, I choose to have the best hardware available to me, which is an auto-loading rifle in a potent caliber that holds 30 rounds in its magazine.

Also, following the law of averages from past gun fights, your 11 shot pistol means 7.7 misses and 3.3 hits if you had to fire all 11 rounds. Now you may or may not do better than that, but that is about all that can be expected from an average pistol shooter.

Some people are content with just a pistol. I am not. If all I had was a pistol, then I would do a bang up job with it and most likely prevail, but I would still wish I had a long gun in my hands.

But lets get back on topic. This thread was to show what I use and to ask others to post what they use. Not for any scientific study, but more for the conversational aspect and to compare notes.

Excellent point, considering sorce the percentage of misses in shootings is 70-90%. Combine that with poor ballistics from handgun calibers, and you have a strong argument for a good intermediate caliber rifle for home defence.

Live in a safe area. My pistols are available but the clip needs to be inserted for them to be loaded. Some people will say that is stupid but I don't care.

IMG_20160515_213059245.jpg

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
Live in a safe area. My pistols are available but the clip needs to be inserted for them to be loaded. Some people will say that is stupid but I don't care.

Suit yourself but it's NOT A CLIP.
A nail is not a screw.
clip_magazine-1.jpg

You'd be safer with a Taser. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.