Lets see your home defense set ups and lube choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pistol by my bed. The rest seems overkill to me. I mean, you hear bump in the night, now you have to choose your weapon. Less is better. Pick one weapon and pray for the best outcome.

I have a Glock 19 in a micro gunvault in my nightstand.

I figure at most I'll have to deal with a random wandering drug addict, not an armed platoon assault.

If you are concerned about the possibility you're going to have an extended gun battle in your living room, I really question the life choices you've made.

Last edited:
People get rob, beaten, raped, killed, etc every single day. Not being at least a little prepared is like putting your head in the sand. But hey, good for you if you don't mind.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
I have a Glock 19 in a micro gunvault in my nightstand.

I figure at most I'll have to deal with a random wandering drug addict, not an armed platoon assault.

If you are concerned about the possibility you're going to have an extended gun battle in your living room, I really question the life choices you've made.
If you could predict the future there are a lot of things you wouldn't have to worry about. A handy AR answers a lot of questions that a weak hard to shoot accurately handgun is left hoping to answer.

Originally Posted By: hatt
If you could predict the future there are a lot of things you wouldn't have to worry about. A handy AR answers a lot of questions that a weak hard to shoot accurately handgun is left hoping to answer.

Yes, but an AR, a shotgun and three pistols? There's no commonality. If I was going to have his/hers bedside pistols, they would use the same ammunition and magazine.

Less is more here. If the AR is your defense weapon, make it your defense weapon. Likewise the pistol or shotgun. Pick one and commit to it. You can have too many choices.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Have you ever considered moving to a better area so you don't have to live with that sort of paranoia all the time?

Most of the time around here the doors are unlocked and open, windows are open, and it's not uncommon to run to town and leave the house unlocked and the garage or shop door open.

Oh boy
06.gif

G43 in night stand

Last edited:
Is the danger mostly at night, or all the time? Do you put all those guns in a safe when no one is home?

Home invasion is rare here but I am prepared.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Yes, but an AR, a shotgun and three pistols? There's no commonality. If I was going to have his/hers bedside pistols, they would use the same ammunition and magazine.

Less is more here. If the AR is your defense weapon, make it your defense weapon. Likewise the pistol or shotgun. Pick one and commit to it. You can have too many choices.
Not really. Having a handgun AND a long gun is best. Each has different roles. You're not going to bring an AR to investigate the noise that was most likely a opossum going through the neighborhood. The OP has two people to arm so actually his setup isn't too crazy.

Last edited:
Have you ever considered moving to a better area so you don't have to live with that sort of paranoia all the time?

Most of the time around here the doors are unlocked and open, windows are open, and it's not uncommon to run to town and leave the house unlocked and the garage or shop door open.
Why would you be paranoid if you have all that firepower? I would be quite confident, but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Equipped with night-vision. Also doubles as alarm.
cooperhike_zps6ce042ff.jpg

Love it!

Critters make the best and most effective alarms and deterrents.

IMO early warning is the key. All the firepower in the world may not help if they are already standing over you when you are first aware of their presence. Here in So. Cal, you leave your house/garage open while you run to the store you are likely to have an empty house/garage when you return. Keys in ignition?...bye bye car. I agree it is not paranoia, but rather preparedness. That said, I have two dogs and an alarm system for early warning, camera system is going in next week, and I have some of the same hardware pictured above. Not on my watch!

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You can have too many choices.

That's like saying you should carry a smaller capacity magazine because you have, "too much firepower".

No, it's not the same thing.

One weapon. Train with it. Learn how your body reacts when disoriented and groggy. You're not going to wake up and sling a rifle and holster a pistol. No time, and it's not important.

Get up, grab your weapon, go. Decide which one you are going to train with for home defense and stick with it. I did also mention that "his and hers" bedside weapons should have commonality.

Having a [censored] arsenal like the pause menu on a video game for "home defense" is ignorant IMHO. No matter how many weapons you have at your disposal, for a B&E you are going to grab one and it will be over before you know it.

Note that I'm not saying you shouldn't have more than one weapon in the home. I'm just saying that for self defense, the retrieval and use of your weapon should be muscle memory, not a choice you have to make when there's a bang at 2am.

roofless, it appears you can only imagine a limited number of scenarios. The actual scenarios are endless. You grab the handgun when you don't think there's a problem; you just want to check it out. When you know there's a problem you grab the long gun. If the intruders are on top of you before you can get out of bed you simply hope they don't kill you, you lost.

roofless, it appears you can only imagine a limited number of scenarios. The actual scenarios are endless.

Exactly. It's why most police officers have at least 3 weapons in their patrol car. A handgun on their hip. A shotgun attached to a dash mount. And a patrol rifle, (usually some type of AR-15), in the trunk. They never know what they'll be up against. Neither will a homeowner. All one weapon does is limit you.

Rural living isn't as safe as one might think. Numerous data exists that suggests otherwise.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23886781
"Using total injury death rate as an overall safety metric, US urban counties were safer than their rural counterparts, and injury death risk increased steadily as counties became more rural. Greater emphasis on elevated injury-related mortality risk outside of large cities, attention to locality-specific injury prevention priorities, and an increased focus on matching emergency care needs to emergency care resources are in order."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457509001092
"The death rate from many common causes in the United States (US) is significantly higher in rural, compared to urban areas (Eberhardt et al., 2001), even accounting for the older age of the rural population (Wright et al., 1985). This higher mortality rate among rural residents can be attributed to a higher incidence of unintentional injury and traumatic deaths (Svenson et al., 1996)."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-0361.2008.00188.x/full
"Despite higher levels of physical activity, rural adolescents experienced a higher prevalence of overweight than their urban counterparts."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pds.1626/abstract;jsessionid=C478DAC6FF6652DB2249C7025EB9877E.f03t03
"Unintentional and undetermined drug poisoning mortality rates rose 62% from 1999 to 2004. Metropolitan county rates rose 51%, an increase of 2.66/100 000, while nonmetropolitan county rates rose 159%, an increase of 4.81/100 000."

Originally Posted By: dave123
I don't even lock my front or back door and keys are all in the ignition I need that I'd move in a second.

That's what I remember from my childhood. Not any more..

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Rural living isn't as safe as one might think. Numerous data exists that suggests otherwise.

All very true. After I retired my wife and I thought seriously of moving to a more rural setting in order to, "get away from all the crime and drugs of the city". However, when we investigated many of the crime stats of these smaller, more rural towns, many were filled with druggies and meth labs, that you wouldn't think existed in such small, quaint settings. Many of these towns are infested with these types of no goods, who are all usually running from something. This was so prevalent we decided to stay right where we're at.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: dave123
I don't even lock my front or back door and keys are all in the ignition I need that I'd move in a second.

That's what I remember from my childhood. Not any more..

That all depends on just how long ago your childhood was. With the massive reductions in crime since the late 1980s, anyone much younger than 70 is living in a USA that is safer than the one they grew up in.

Instantaneous information transmission. 20,30,50 years ago there were chases and standoffs and tornadoes just like today. But we didn't watch them real-time on our computers or the 5 o'clock news. Perception. Statistics show lower crime rates but we see it play out as it happens every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.