lets see how bad you really hate Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I'd paint it white and run it ....
Closet Case...
crackmeup2.gif

lets see how bad you really hate Fram

When I hit the Powerball, I'll hire legions of mercenaries to assault the OCOD line and the corporate offices.

I've bought two used vehicles with fresh oil but Fram filters on them at purchase, it didn't bother me enough to switch filters until the next OC. Beggars can be choosers with a few turns of the filter wrench, but I didn't see a need to get the feared orange can of questionable construction off the car immediately. Not that I'd use them myself.

Originally Posted By: ramblar
...would you buy a new car, and then put an orange can of doom on it?

or would you walk?

Third option = bypass plate and change oil frequently. LOL.

I haven't bought any Frams for years and certainly not after I started coming to this site. I have never had any catastrophic problems and do not cut filters apart to see anything that fell apart inside the filter. However, I have a John Deere 160 lawnmower that I am using a Fram on and have noticed that the ADBV is not working properly. The filter is mounted gasket side down and when I check the oil cold, the level is 1/4 qt higher. If I check it hot it is on the level. This tells me tha the ADBV is letting all of the oil (and contaminants) run back into the engine. This has never happened with any other filter (JD, Purolater, etc). I have a Supertech that is going to replace the Fram this fall before winter storage. I may cut the old Fram open. This will be that last one I ever use. I tried to give am old one to my brother that fit his Buick 3800 engine and he wouldn't take it. He said "I wont use an orange can of death". He is really a car guy either, so the word has spread on the quality issues with Fram. I also really do not like their marketing tactics, they seem to buy up all of the space in the stores and look for sole source agreements. I used to buy filters at a local Meijer store, they had their own store brand (was a Purolator Plus), name brand Purolator, and AC in addition to Fram. Fram has since knocked out all of them including the store brand. I think that is the only reason they get market share, there is no other choices in some stores. I am glad that the Walmart people did not cave to this and still offer Mobil-1s, ACs and Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: el_zorro
I haven't bought any Frams for years and certainly not after I started coming to this site. I have never had any catastrophic problems and do not cut filters apart to see anything that fell apart inside the filter. However, I have a John Deere 160 lawnmower that I am using a Fram on and have noticed that the ADBV is not working properly. The filter is mounted gasket side down and when I check the oil cold, the level is 1/4 qt higher. If I check it hot it is on the level. This tells me tha the ADBV is letting all of the oil (and contaminants) run back into the engine. This has never happened with any other filter (JD, Purolater, etc). I have a Supertech that is going to replace the Fram this fall before winter storage. I may cut the old Fram open. This will be that last one I ever use. I tried to give am old one to my brother that fit his Buick 3800 engine and he wouldn't take it. He said "I wont use an orange can of death". He is really a car guy either, so the word has spread on the quality issues with Fram. I also really do not like their marketing tactics, they seem to buy up all of the space in the stores and look for sole source agreements. I used to buy filters at a local Meijer store, they had their own store brand (was a Purolator Plus), name brand Purolator, and AC in addition to Fram. Fram has since knocked out all of them including the store brand. I think that is the only reason they get market share, there is no other choices in some stores. I am glad that the Walmart people did not cave to this and still offer Mobil-1s, ACs and Motorcraft.

Zorro, where in MI are you that Wal-Mart sells M1 filters? I haven't seen them around there in quite some time. Last time I remember seeing them was close to 3 years ago.

The Mopar oil filters are cheaper than Fram at my local Walmart. Not sure if that means they're also poorly made. I wonder if the Fram xtraguard also has the cheap endcaps? It claims to offer 6x the protection of other leading filters.

Last edited:
Why the focus on the end caps? I don't like Fram for lack of much between them. Me, I would grab an ST, cheaper and likely more media than either. Most of the larger ones are E-core and have a thread end bypass.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
The Mopar oil filters are cheaper than Fram at my local Walmart. Not sure if that means they're also poorly made. I wonder if the Fram xtraguard also has the cheap endcaps? It claims to offer 6x the protection of other leading filters.

Are you talking about the Tough Guard? The Tough Guard is the one that claims 6X protection. It does use the same paper endcaps but it has a screen-over bypass, silicone ADBV and a synthetic blend media. I'm using one right now and it's working perfectly fine. No start-up noise and instant oil pressure, telling me the ADBV is working and no other noises.

I normally don't run Fram. But the local WM closed out their TLE stock of PH43's for 1.25 each. (As I hear, PH43 was replaced by PH16.. too confusing for the TLE crew....) No boxes, just the bulk filters. I bought a couple for reasonable runs on the Grand Caravan. I figure what the heck... I'm already running a non Chrysler certified oil, Delo 30 weight, why not really tempt the lubrication spirits?

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I normally don't run Fram. But the local WM closed out their TLE stock of PH43's for 1.25 each. (As I hear, PH43 was replaced by PH16.. too confusing for the TLE crew....) No boxes, just the bulk filters. I bought a couple for reasonable runs on the Grand Caravan. I figure what the heck... I'm already running a non Chrysler certified oil, Delo 30 weight, why not really tempt the lubrication spirits?

I'm with you there. The 7317 isn't even recommended for my car.
27.gif
It's for the newer Hondas, but it seems to work just as good on the older ones. Can't complain for only 50 cents.

honda, like all other "OEM" filters use whatever's cheapest at the moment. fram obviously put in the lowest bid and won.

Originally Posted By: EricF
honda, like all other "OEM" filters use whatever's cheapest at the moment. fram obviously put in the lowest bid and won.

Ford has been using Purolator for basically forever.

Though for GM and Chrysler, your statement rings true.

Just like factory fills. Who ever pays the most or has the lower bid?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Chrysler is using Purolator. Quaker State is now too. I guess you are right.

Originally Posted By: labman
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Chrysler is using Purolator. Quaker State is now too. I guess you are right.

Yup, isn't GM now using Champ? or is it WIX? Chrysler WAS using FRAM at one point IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back