lets see how bad you really hate Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking, what if Fram was the only oil filter you could buy.

would you buy a new car, and then put an orange can of doom on it?

or would you walk?

My father has used a Fram filter and Pennzoil motor oil since Hector was a pup and gets a couple hundred thousand miles from his vehicles before he gets tired of them.

The whole Fram is bad thing is overdone.

Nothing wrong with Fram filters, just far better filters for the same money.

My dad has driven an astronomical amount of miles (40 Years of driving) and has used FRAM filters since they were available without any issues.

His current $100 Caravan which has almost 400K KM (240K miles) has seen nothing but Fram and el-cheapo dino and it runs fine without issue.

So YES I would run a Fram if it were the only filter available.

Oh Lord!
18.gif
Another one of these?
06.gif
P L E A S E, STOP!
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: ramblar

would you buy a new car, and then put an orange can of doom on it?

I have purchased a new car and Fram was used on the car about 1/4 of the time. The car made it to 300,000 miles without having a valve cover or oil pan removed. That was before BITOG. Still, if I had to, I would use it again.

I take the success of Fram as proof that filters aren't very important and you may as well buy something cheap. Before cutting one open, I used them for years. If I lived in Canada and had little other choice, I would still sleep at night.

I would run it no problem if it were the only one offered. My father has used them on the daily drivers since I can remember.

The more expensive/collector cars get a better filter and the TL is like an ongoing experiment since it's my first brand new car that I want to run a certain way till it dies just to have some results.

It's all a consiracy! Fram's are really great, its just that some competitors haved mocked all of this up with bogus postings. The truth will prevail someday! Besides, dont either Honda or Toyota filters have cardboard or felt endcaps?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Nothing wrong with Fram filters, just far better filters for the same money.

That's pretty much how I understand it

Only thing I don`t like about them is the cardboard endcaps and the fact that I can crush them in my hand like an empty soda can.........that can`t be good,huh?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Only thing I don`t like about them is the cardboard endcaps and the fact that I can crush them in my hand like an empty soda can.........that can`t be good,huh?

There is nothing bad about Fram except for that.
18.gif
<-- Fram

Last edited:
I had a 180k miles d16 civic that blew higher than OEM cylinder compression and didn't have any leaks, idle issues, fuel economy was amazing (34 mpg 100% city) and I ran 5w30 Castrol GTX and orange can Frams for 120k with 7500mile OCIs.

if fram was the only filter we could buy, then would it really matter? how would we know they would be bad anyways since theres nothing to compare them with.

Having seen 2 actual Fram failures-both of which lunched the engines.....1 failed by splitting after a cold start (about 20F) the can split and dumped the oil before the before the driver noticed the OP light, the other had it's cardboard end caps come loose and partially disintegrated, plugged up the oil passages to the head. After the new gasket design (rolled over the edge) I've seen more than a few that failed to seal properly. All that being a given, and assuming that MOST folks using a Fram will NOT have any massive problems, why take the chance? Fram went from one of the most recommended filters to one that is, well, questionable....why? So shade tree mechanics could buy a $3 filter. I know several professional mechanics with certifications out the wazoo that won't use them.......why? They can't afford comebacks. Most that I know use either WIX, NAPA or Carquest(Wix),Others use OEM because that's dictated in their shops. I imagine that the equation is: Let's see which filter do I want to use on my $10K engine? a $3 filter that's made for the lowest cost or a $6 filter that's (1) well made, (2) has no comebacks (3) has a good reputation (4) has a good record of no failures and filters well. It's really just a case of ya pays your money and take your chances. If Fram were the ONLY filter, well, It would be kinda like Gov't healthcare.......an enforced level of mediocracy, ya gotta use it but ya don't have to like it, but, do you trust it? Remember, advertising people are, in the end, turd polishers.

I'll stay with WIX & M1

'06 Honda Civic EX 77K M1 5W-20, M1-110 filter
'02 Honda Accord SE 60K M1 5W-20 M1-104 filter
'04 Mazda Miata LS 12K M1 0W-30 M1-110 Filter

ah, but the orange can marketing works... I grabbed a Wix filter for a friend's Honda, he put it back on the shelf and grabbed a Fram instead - it was then I recalled he had a shelf at home that was full of Orange boxes - a shrine to filters. I actually found two older Fram air filters in my garage - on the packaging it eschewed the benefits of Fram air filtration: "better... blah blah blah" the current packaging makes no such claims. just "here it is".

if fram was the only filter made i guess i would be forced to use it Good thing we have choices i prefer purolator or a/c
i opened many of them and for the price and protection i like the above mentioned..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back