Let's choose a 15w40

Dont know for hx5 15w40 (they didnt test it yet).....but hx5 10w40 is gr. I + VHVI (or even GTL) blend...

Oil-club.ru Shell (HX5) 10w40
Thanks for that, interesting read.

That Shell 10W40 was rated API SL / CF only and was a Group I and Group III semi-synthetic according to the ROC.

I’m not sure, but I’ve heard that to meet the deposit requirements of API SN an oil needs to be a minimum of Group II or Group II + III. Which is why, given the OP’s selection above, I would avoid the Total Quartz.

Thanks, i suspected that SN is either group II or II/III with newer conventional oils and that's why the GTX is now labelled as a semi-synthetic. I used to own two old Mercedes with the same engine. One had 250 000 kms and was serviced with only the cheapest SH/SJ/SL 15/10w40 while the other one received the same OCIs but had 400 000 kms and was only filled with 5w40 synthetic and it looked brand new while the other one looked like a coal mine under the valve cover. Maybe those days are gone. I asked about which one to pick for my stash because there's a big clearance at an auto part store and 15w40 is only 10€ for 5L!

I have on occasion used HDEO 15W40(Rotella, Delvac, Delo, SuperTech) in the Firebird V8 in my signature(about once/decade). And though I didn't do any UOAs with any of them, the engine & myself liked the seat of the pants feel with no noticable fuel economy nor performance gains or loses. However I do stick with PCMO 5W30 for the most part, we like that too.

I've read reports from people loosing MPG or experiencing a more sluggish engine after bumping up a grade or two but i think some engines are more sensitive than others. I tried 5w30 for the first time during the last three months and had the worst gas mileage i ever had with that car because my job was 25 kms each way with no highway driving and i had the best gas mileage i ever had last summer with all the highway driving and it was on 10w40. Can't say if a few cSt will make a difference in throttle response. In my case maybe the viscosity of the 10w40 after two hours of highway driving at 3000/35000 rpm is lower than the 5w30's viscosity just driving around town at 1500/2000 rpm.

For my situation, it was in the heat of our summer so, I couldn't see any differences. If I were to drive this same car in the winter months(GOD forbid), I'm sure that I would feel the sluggishness poor(er) fuel economy...not that it gets good mpg!

I am using Delo XLE 15w40 synblend in my GM 5.3L so far so good. I have also run 15w40 in my older LS3 Camaro and 4.6L V8 small block in the Land Rover. It was a little sluggish in the Camero...but it was the conventional version of the oil i believe. the 5.3 has a synthetic blend with an amazingly low pour point of -53c My previous oil must have sheared a down due to fuel dilution or the shop putting in the wrong product (won't make that mistake again).. so from the very thin previous oil to a thicker synblend 15w40 I was surprised when the engine didn't feel sluggish but less loose and felt better under heavy acceleration.

Reactions: SR5
15w40 HDEO is available here but price-wise in the same ballbark as euro specs 5w40 synthetic PCMO, not sure there's anything to gain using it.

15w40 HDEO is available here but price-wise in the same ballbark as euro specs 5w40 synthetic PCMO, not sure there's anything to gain using it.
Yes same in Australia. The 15W40 (API SN & ACEA A3/B3) PCMOs that are primarily for petrol (gas) cars are nice and affordable. As soon as you step it up to a synthetic PCMO (eg D1G2, A3/B4, C3 etc) or a 15W40 HDEO (API CJ / CK & ACAE Ex) you need to spend more coin.

10/15w40 HDEO seem to be less prone to shearing than most PCMO, even the high end synthetics, i remember reading about someone having this experience, was it you Kamele0N? Out of curiosity i'd like to try it in my M111 engine. My observation is that the engine burns close to no oil at all during the first 5000 kms if the level is right in between the max and min mark and then starts to burn some at the rate of 0.5L/2500 kms maybe. (oil drained once at 5000 just to prove it) and that's with 5w40 which i use most of the time.

Yes it was me :)

KZ-TE engine has a set of timing gears (like a small gearbox) which drives its injector pump.....and that gearbox just shreds oil....and therefore you get higher oil consumption!

And I am observing lower (lets say normal) oil consumption with more stable HDEO.

LC is 22yrs old...400.000kms on clock.....HDEO I add cca 1L per OCI........but with any PCMO.....it was like 2-3L per OCI

My OCI is 10-15kkm / 1year

Back