Let's choose a 15w40

I was looking at the data sheets of a few 15w40 PCMO out of curiosity and it seems like the winner is the Shell but i need you to help me understand what the data sheet says. Pour point looks very low for a 15w40, flash point seems very high too (low noack?) All these values look better for this oil than they do for the Castrol and Total products and they are even better than Shell HX7 10w40 which is a higher end product (pour point : -39°C, flash point : 227°C, -30°C MRV : 21400). I don't quite understand what MRV is and if it is even relevant when considering cold start flow/wear. Are these values indicative of a group II/III mix? I know that every modern SN 10w40 sold here is only a group II/III and that group I isn't used anymore but what about "conventional" 15w40 oils with SN or SN+ ratings like this one?

Attachments

• Shell HX5.pdf
    91.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Castrol GTX.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Total Quartz.pdf
    187.5 KB · Views: 22
Maybe this thread belongs to the European/import motor oil section, feel free to move it there.

I always use Shell Rotella 15W-40 in my dads truck that’s what it calls for use it year round. I don’t think they make 15W-40 in car oil are you sure this isn’t diesel oil? The stuff is like honey trying to pour it it’s really thick.

Yes 15W40 PCMO is still popular in Australia too, they are very economically priced oils.

You have
Shell HX5 which is SN-Plus, SN/CF, A3/B3
KV100 = 14.27, FP = 241 C, PP = -45 C, Density = 866

Castrol GTX which is SN, A3/B3, MB 229.1, VW 501 01 / 505 00
KV100 = 14.5, FP = 207 C, PP = -39 C, Density = 878

Total Quartz which is SL/CF, A3/B3, MB 229.1 VW 501 01 / 505 00
KV100 = 14.3, *FP = 234 C, PP = -30 C, *Density = 888

(*) note some of the Total Quartz tests were done using a different standard.

Yes the pour point and the flash point of the HX5 stands out, I would guess this means the HX5 contains some Group III, and I would guess the others are mostly Group II. Maybe Shell has excess GTL they are using up.

All guess work.

I always use Shell Rotella 15W-40 in my dads truck that’s what it calls for use it year round. I don’t think they make 15W-40 in car oil are you sure this isn’t diesel oil? The stuff is like honey trying to pour it it’s really thick.
Shell Rotella 15w40 comes in "regular" (T4) and synthetic (T6). Maybe in a blend also (T5)? What are you running in dad's truck?

Usually i only use 15w40 for beaters/oil burners i service because it's very cheap. HDEO 15w40 is a lot more expensive and i don't think there's anything to gain in a gas engine over a synthetic 5w40 with approvals such as MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 for the same price.

Look like this thread has been moved to a new area, but I can only find it because I have already posted.

Hard to find it from outside.

A bit OT, I can’t help but wonder if not for either the EPA, CAFE or some other US government entity, 15w40 oils would carry A3/ B3 approvals in the US.

Rotella no longer carries a gas approval. Others may not be too far behind.

No new gasser here would spec a 15w40.

15w40 in A3/B3 is PCMO.....we have that over here too! TBN= 8 max

15w40 in Ex (x could be 3,4,5,6......dont know for 9) is HDEO.....TBN is usually around 10-12

It’s moved again....

This thread started in PCMO Gas Vehicles, then it appeared in a new area PCMO Diesel Cars/Vans, and now it’s in HDEO Diesel Vehicles.

I’m getting dizzy 🥴

It’s moved again....

This thread started in PCMO Gas Vehicles, then it appeared in a new area PCMO Diesel Cars/Vans, and now it’s in HDEO Diesel Vehicles.

I’m getting dizzy 🥴
Had trouble finding it again... This discussion has nothing to do with either diesel engines or HDEO, only PCMO 15w40 in gas engines. 😲

This discussion has nothing to do with either diesel engines or HDEO, only PCMO 15w40 in gas engines. 😲
I suspected so, I also use 15W40 oil in my petrol (gas) car, but the concept may be a bit surprising to our North American brothers.

Anyway I’ve just started using Castrol GTX 15W40 UltraClean which is now a semi-synthetic, as all the new GTX UltraClean’s are. It’s rated API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B3.

There has been a few red hot sales of this new GTX where I could get a 5L jug for $15, instead of the usual $45. I’ve already done one OCI with it and I have a few more jugs lined up to go.

Back