Less oil consumption with THINNER oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch. Well, I did ask for it explicitly. . .
cool.gif

I'm not sure I follow you though. It looks like for the RL, the lower the vis, the lower the FP??? On the other hand, what got me thinking along these lines was the apparent lack of either direct or inverse relationship between vis and FP in the Mobil oils. I'm guessing that this has both to do with use of different base oil and additive blends in each product. The point is, however, that this seemed to defy common sense (as opposed to scientific sense, which I pretty much lack. . .).

This isn't a purely academic question for me. As I drive 500-600 miles per week along the Gulf Coast, with road temps beginning to approach those of Hitler's corner of **** , I will soon need to decide what to vis use for my next on my Toyota V-6. Hmmm, the complete RL line is in stock at an AA store, $8/qt, 3/4 of a mile from the base.

ekpolk, If they have 5W40 go for Redlines 5W40 it kicks butt ! If they do not have the 5W40 go with RL 10W30. In Florida a 40Wt is almost a no brainer in my book but Redline is a bit different. You trully can run an oil one grade lower in viscosity and not notice a drop in protection. Terry likes thinner oil like RL 5W30 in Toyota V6's but I can not bring myself to run a 5W30 in 95F heat with 90% humidity!!! I just can not do it!

P.S. If they have Redlines 15W40 diesel formulation that would be neat to see a UOA of!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back