Leg of Lamb ?

Would love to try it, but not enough to buy one. Some of it in the pictures looks delicious!

Was given some ground up lamb back around 1980. Tried frying up some burgers and it stunk up the kitchen badly! Took a bite and threw it outside for the dog.
I read after that, it should be slow cooked, so the fat is not sizzling hot. Is that true?

Tastes change, maybe I got some rancid meat, or I F****d it up, who knows? But I would like a bite of it again to make up my mind.

What say you all?

Go to a British restaurant and order it there. Or an Indian restaurant and have it in a curry. You will have a good experience and start to enjoy lamb. Trying to make it well at home the first time isn't the way to delve into it. A well prepared lamb chop with mint sauce is very good. I wouldn't make it myself.

Not too many British or Indian restaurant's around in my part of Iowa. But thanks for the suggestion. ;)

I'm rural enough, men are men, and sheep fear men! LOL :giggle:

I've gotten lamb before. Maybe lamb shoulder or leg pieces. I used it to make a stew.

My favorite is really a good lamb shank. There was a chain restaurant called Elephant Bar that did really good one and it was something like $9 for just one, but maybe $15 for two. It was really good though. I think the secret is slower cooking at low temperature. Or maybe in a pressure cooker like an Instant Pot at relatively low temperature but higher pressure.

The other thing that's really annoying about lamb is lamb fat. That stuff is going to be ridiculously hard to wash off of dishes. Probably not with hot water in a dishwasher, but man that stuff is really hard to remove. When it hardens at room temperature, it's almost like wax.

I had lamb twice, first and last time. Didn't do much for me at all...so all the lambs in the world are safe with me...lol

It might be best to go to an upscale Italian or Greek restaurant to sample/ try leg of lamb. They likely know what they are doing, and you can experience the leg of lamb cooked properly.

When we lived near Chicago, there was a "Greek Town" just west of downtown Chicago with a small strip of Greek restaurants. Some of these Greek restaurants had what I believe was leg of lamb on a rotisserie over hot coals cooking all day long. If I was "new" to lamb, that is one way to try lamb to see of you like it.
Edited-Lef-of-Lamb-on-24-CB-Rotisserie-142217.jpg

There is Lamb & there is Mutton, many places serve mutton and call it lamb.:mad:
If you want to eat proper lamb go to a balkan, greek or middle eastern restaurant, NOT indian
they are good with goat, but they do not eat lamb much and if a british Pub make sure it's not mutton.
Lamb makes lousy burger meat, it ought to be roasted at medium temp or on a spit/grill, spring lamb
is delicious, however lamb meat is very expensive due to the cost of raising it and the smallness of the beast.

1) Does anyone remember seeing a, "Miller's Lamb" sticker on a butcher shop window or door? It was an oval 18" or so wide.
It depicted a "phantasy perfect" New Zeeland cowgirl cooking a chop over a campfire. She smiles as she beckons you......ah, marketing.

2) Friends went over to a larger town's grocery store for a leg of lamb and there were none. The meat man said the price increased a tad and he ordered way fewer. What he did order, and my friends bought, was a split, boned roast. They're loading it with appropriate veggies for a slow roast for Easter.

3) +1 on NOT making a curried Indian dish a meat sampler. Indian restaurants over-handle meat sometimes (seems pre cut, pre-portioned etc.)

4) Lamb is so darn rich a few bites is a meal. Kinda like any coconut milk dish.......so sweet 2 bites kills your appetite.

My favorite meat! I bought three whole lambs in past three years that I had professionally butchered, plus boneless legs from Sam's Club that I cut into shish kabob cubes and smaller cuts for soups and stews. Made grilled Kofta last week and grilled lamb burgers this week, and also made Saag Paneer the other day with lamb cubes. Nailed it - as good as the Indian restaurants! I'll be marinating some lamb kabob cuts this week for shish kabobs on the grill, skewered with onions, peppers, and mushrooms and served over Basmati rice. 😋 It's also great simmered in coconut milk with Massaman curry paste. I'm getting hungry!

You sound like you know what you're doing but skewering the meat with the various veggies isn't what the pros do because the ingredients cook at different rates.

Actually using a Kentucky black mop sauce helps tremendously.

• 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire
  • 1/2 cup distilled vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 7 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon Coarse Kosher Salt
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice

If you like lamb, you will love goat (Indian preparation!) $12 per pound including bones!! But still cheaper than caviar :)
Feast at our house means goat mutton curry and only very few select people will be invited to that particular intimate event. My wife makes the best one, even better than I can get in India at my relatives over there, that is how good she makes it.

This will be insulting to Gon, but if you just want to give it a try, you can buy pre-cooked, frozen lamb shank at many places like Costco, BJ's, etc..
You roast it in the oven and in includes sauce. Not sure of the cost now, but it was less than $20 per pack of 2 last time I had it. Lamb shank is different than grilled chops. I love lamb.
1650248311183.png

Reactions: GON
My wife and I are usually vegetarian, but we eat leg of lamb on Easter Sunday (today). Yum!
I also like fresh venison. Nothing like the backstrap/loin of a deer fresh off the grill just a few hours after it was eating grass in your meadow.

This will be insulting to Gon, but if you just want to give it a try, you can buy pre-cooked, frozen lamb shank at many places like Costco, BJ's, etc..
You roast it in the oven and in includes sauce. Not sure of the cost now, but it was less than $20 per pack of 2 last time I had it. Lamb shank is different than grilled chops. I love lamb.
View attachment 96808
Not insulting at all. Great suggestion!

Grew up in a family that considered "leg of lamb" a real treat. They always bought the best, and the preparation was always exquisite. However, , if I never eat it again, it will be too soon.

Back