Lee Loaders

I see the last thread about these classic hand loaders was in 2011 so I figured I'd start a new discussion. Who else uses these? I absolutely love them and I hardly ever use my press anymore. There's something about tapping all the steps out by hand that gives you a real tactile sense for how it all comes together. It's also nice to be able to take the little kit with me and reload anywhere. Hunting camp, the range, at competitions, etc. I don't find it much slower than a single stage but you definitely can't crank out bulk ammo with these kits. Quality over quantity is the name of thIs game.

My current collection consists of:

12g
45/70
7.62x54R
30-06
9mm

I always have my eye open for more. Specifically 7.5 Swiss and 6.5 Swedish Mauser.

I enjoy them as well . . . but am just now looking into getting my first single stage press.

As far as the Lee Loaders go, I have:

30-30
30-06
45-70

I never had any issues, besides setting two primers off with the 357 kit . . . probably my fault. It made me make the smart move and step up to a hand primer. Much better.

i have used the lee in 308 , haven't reloaded much since I just about stopped hunting due to back problems..but I have to say they do work great just somewhat slower

I'm still using the same Lee gear I bought back in the early 80s. All their stuff works just fine . My autoprimes clear cover has turned yellow from age but it still works beautifully. My lead pot from 1983 still cranks em out as fast as I can pour them. no brand loyalty here, Ive got some of everything and they all work well . All my molds are Lee as well. The one thing I don't like about Lee is the 💩 plastic boxes they come in. Those really do stink.

I have one in .44. It's nice to see the steps and be super slow and deliberate. Until it's too slow and deliberate.

I started my reloading hobby with a Lee Loader in .30 carbine. Loaded between 800 and 900 rounds before getting a single stage press. Made me REALLY appreciate the single stage press and being able to decap and size at the same time. I never liked tapping the primers in by hand with the Lee Loader, so I used a RCBS priming tool from the beginning. I think the Lee Loading kits are a great way to learn with very little investment.

Last edited:
I've somehow wound up with three of them... for calibers I do not own.
21.gif
I think I grabbed them "just in case", but in case of what I'm not sure.

Hammering in primers sounds a bit scary to me, so I probably would buy the shell holder and use in the press. I've set off a couple of primers just pressing into place and boy does that get your attention.

I have a 30-30 set. I find it is great to make 4-5 rounds for load development without the hassle of setting up the press.

When we used to groundhog hunt a lot, it was nice to go to the range and load ammo to try out and see the results immediately. I've had them in several calibers. Pistol rounds are used in too high a quantity to use a Lee Loader, but they are fun to use. I've had benchrest rifles with Wilson custom dies and the rounds loaded from Lee Loader was only slightly less accurate, but darn close. Many a long range hog has bit the dust to a round loaded with a LL.

Back