LED lighting in my Husqvarna lawn tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kinda odd. I thought lawn tractors ran the headlight bulbs off of AC from the generator. I know the AC is rectified and regulated to charge the battery. I had a couple of LED tail light bulbs left over from changing my Kia Soul to LEDs, and just for giggles I replaced the stock incandescent bulbs. I was pleasantly surprised to have them work perfectly. Maybe because of the hour meter needing DC to operate, someone at Husqvarna decided to tap into the same source and run the lights. In any case, I'm glad they work, and maybe someone here can use the information.

That's nice to know, was thinking of trying some drop in LED bulbs for my Craftsman, AYP built mower. The factory lights are less than useless and I prefer to cut in the evening.

I know my AYP snowblower requires some sort of capacitor and rectifier to power an LED light.

On some mowers, older ones and/or smaller ones, often single cylinder units, are
not regulated voltage wise. So reducing the wattage used for lighting increases the
charging rate for the battery. Possible overcharge situation and short battery life.

My 2¢

I picked up THESE cheapy $20 LED's at Walmart for my Craftsman LT1000 as the stock headlights are totally useless. These fit fine under the clear headlight cover though it is a bit tight, I had to mount them as far back as the bracket would allow. All I had to do was pop off the clear cover from the mower hood, drill four holes for the mounting screws, and splice the wires to the factory wires after removing the stock lights and sockets. Probably less than a half hour's work and the amount of light these cheap little things put out is a drastic improvement over the automotive style incandescent taillights they replaced. I can actually see at night now. Thinking about putting another set down low aka fog light style for even more light, though the muffler is down there and everything seems to get pretty hot in that general area so I'm not sure that will work.

According to my meter these were barely pulling even half an amp so two sets shouldnt cause a problem for the battery and charging system. They do flicker pretty good at idle, but once you throttle up its clean steady light.

I recently installed two LED aux lamps on our ZTR - they throw useful area light for evening work. I think they are 9Watt draw apiece. That's still 1.5A total, which is workable .... but the totally capacity for the alternator won't be above 6 amps at full RPM. So, add in the fuel solenoid and blade clutch, and 1/2 of my available charge current is spoken for. That said, the oem battery is in it's 7th year and while limited, hasn't failed to start it yet!!

Related info on this topic...
Back in March I put amazon item B07BRDQ6RK into my Husqvarna riding mower.
The above is a set of two LED bulbs sporting a 1156 connection/base.
Specs are: 1700 Lumens, 6500K color cost is about $12 for the pair.

I have used them a bunch of evenings thus far with zero issues quality - they just work - and are BRIGHT

I'm convinced most of the "headlight bulbs" in lawn tractors are just there so if you are mowing near a road cars will see you, and that they aren't meant to actually help visibility. I put LED bulbs from Amazon in my John Deere's stock headlight sockets along with a 12w LED flood light I mounted to the console. It has changed the usability of the tractor at night, especially when snow blowing. It has a V-Twin Kohler so the charging system might be a bit more powerful than most lawn tractors and it does have a pretty good sized battery, but I think all lawn/garden tractors should come with these type of lights.

Update. Turns out the tractor is putting AC to the headlights. I was looking at them when lit, and they just didn't seem as bright as they should. A voltmeter check showed AC, not DC.. The diodes were only lighting when the current was flowing in the proper direction. I wired a line from the battery through a fuse to the switch on the dash. I was amazed as to how much brighter the bulbs are now. The lights will now operate without the motor running, so I'll have to remember to shut them off, but I've got auxiliary lights on my bike wired the same way, and so far I haven't forgotten to shut them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back