LED headlight for my snowblower.

Got a pair of these lights off Amazon a few days ago. One is stowed away in the back of my car. The other one wound up being fitted to my snowblower. They were about $25/pair, and run on 4 AA batteries, or 2 18650 rechargable cells. USB charging, and there is a outlet to charge my phone. High power, low power, and strobe. I guess I can't resist adding doo dads to my stuff. IMG_20201026_151407.jpgIMG_20201026_151527.jpg

That's a great application for one of these lights. I've got two of them also.
In addition to the battery features you mentioned, they can also act as a USB power bank. (I think that's what you call that??)

That’s a good idea. If you try to bypass the OEM and add a LED to the stator driven system you’ll get horrible flicker. Even with a resistor mine still isn’t so grand because of that flicker.

That’s a good idea. If you try to bypass the OEM and add a LED to the stator driven system you’ll get horrible flicker. Even with a resistor mine still isn’t so grand because of that flicker.
you need a rectifier and a filter capacitor to get rid of the flicker. Stators make AC voltage and you need DC to run LED's, The rectifier will get you a choppy DC voltage and the filtering cap will smooth it out. That horrible flicker you're getting is the LED's turning on and off with the AC power, "ON" flowing one way and "OFF" flowing the other way. All that resistor is going to do is level out the current flow slightly and get rid of the voltage spikes

2x on a FULL wave rectifier. Both my lawn tractors and snowblowers have been updated to LED bulbs with a rectifier setup. All you need is a full wave rectifier, capacitor is not needed and power your lights off the DC side of the rectifier. They are cheap also as you don't need a high amp. one for LED lights. Full wave will give smooth enough power to run those lights flicker free above idle.

A capacitor would work not a resistor. No idea on how many uF though it's been too long since engineering days.

Back