Leave your engine pine fresh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe so. If it is, then I suspect there WILL be a Pine-sol alliance formed on BITOG.
grin2.gif

I'm unsure how it will sound "add a pint of Pine-sol 500 miles before your normal OCI"
54.gif

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Pine oil may be absolutely gangbusters at sludge and grease deposits.

If people around here didn't already believe that MMO worked they'd scoff at anything with "oil of wintergreen" in it.

It may very well work, MMO certainly does. If people try it, find it works and the price is right, I'd give it a try.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It may very well work, MMO certainly does. If people try it, find it works and the price is right, I'd give it a try.

How do you quantify "it works" ? Engine runs smoother ? Better gas mileage ? Or open the valve cover before and after its use to verify that it does the cleaning ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

How do you quantify "it works" ? Engine runs smoother ? Better gas mileage ? Or open the valve cover before and after its use to verify that it does the cleaning ?

Smoother running, better mpgs offer some proof. There are a lot of guys here saying how much better their cars sounded and felt after adding it, a lot of people. We can't all be crazy!
crazy2.gif
I've had valve covers off many an engine over the years, not to see if MMO works but to replace gaskets. I've had a few pans down too, so I know it works. Can I prove it to you, sorry, no when I had these engines apart it was long before BITOG was even a thought. I looked into an oil fill hole on a friends car that was leaking via the VC years ago and suggested he add MMO and drive the car for the winter and we'd change the VC gasket in the spring when it got warm. We were both amazed at how clean that engine was 3000 miles later when we finally got around to replacing the VC gasket. Keep in mind if it is cleaning splash fed areas, it will do a bang up job at the bottom end of an engine.

Yes I agree with sprintman, why drop an oil pan for no reason? Or open up any part of engine today for no reason?

Most of us have little more than the butt dyno to go by. Now if you have a vacuum gauge ..compression gauge ..but that's a bit much for verifying a pour in remedy that could have amounted to nothing more than "hey, what happens if I do THIS?".

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I can say that when I added 16 ounces of MMO to my El Camino that the engine was smoother and more responsive.

I did take my valve covers off before putting in MMO and there was a small amount of crud and gooey black junk. This all disapeared 7000 miles later.

I remember putting in about 12 ounces of MMO into my Mom's 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1000 miles before the OCI and the car felt more responsive. When I changed her oil it came out very dark, we have always used Mobil 1

I then added 4 quarts of Mobil 1 and 16 ounces of MMO and took the car for a drive, the car was amazingly responsive.

I am noticing the same thing with MMO in the oil on my Marauder, I am now averaging 23 m.p.g. This time last year with no MMO in the oil or gas this car was averaging 21 m.p.g.

Thought it was odd that I got 22mpg on the Escape driving from KC to St. Louis.. 80mph all the way sometimes higher. First long trip since I put MMO in oil. Usually it averages 20-21 going 65-70.. guess it does help.

I think the reason some people see an increase in mpg adding MMO in their gas is better compression due to a better ring seal. They're getting better compression with it in the gas and not at the expense of thicker oil increasing compression. When added to the oil I believe there is less friction and drag. For those who add it to gas and oil and track MPG this might help explain why they are seeing gains in mileage as well as a smoother running engine. I'm open to anyone else who has an idea as to why the increase in MPG and smoother running engines with MMO.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Thought it was odd that I got 22mpg on the Escape driving from KC to St. Louis.. 80mph all the way sometimes higher. First long trip since I put MMO in oil. Usually it averages 20-21 going 65-70.. guess it does help.

Or the west wind was helping.

Removing valve cover of a 4-cylinder engine is a DIY with few tools, compression test needs special tools that most DIY's don't have.

I love the hate on a product most have never used but even though they haven't used it they seem to think they know exactly what it will or won't do. Also anything that is not pushed on this site people like to think is bad.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I love the hate on a product most have never used but even though they haven't used it they seem to think they know exactly what it will or won't do. Also anything that is not pushed on this site people like to think is bad.

It's OK. I get a chuckle out of the few people who keep pushing another product that costs 10X as much, is much more finicky to use, takes much longer to get any observable results, and is only available online. Whatever floats yer boat.

If someone in the NYC area has a sludged up engine and wants to do a before/after, I'll be happy to help them pop a valve cover for pics.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back