Leather interior care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some of the the best and /or recommended leather interior products and techniques?

I just bought a new '04 Camry for my wife and it has leather interior.

I've never owned a car with leather before...in fact I've never owned a car with an automatic transmission, automatic windows and power seats too!

Thanks for your input.

Without a DOUBT, Leatherique (http://www.leatherique.com)

Check it out. Rolls Royce, Mercedes and other fine automobile restorers (which IMHO are more picky than the Factory) and clubs choose Leatherique.

I've been using their products for over 5-years now and every person I turn onto to it, never goes back to the other mainstream market stuff.

Consider it the Schaeffer oil of the Leather Preservation and Cleaning niche.

:) neil
1988 MB 360TE AMG
1993 MB 500E

I use Meguiar's leather condtioner on the seats in my 99 300M and the leather is just as supple and crack-free as it was when new.

Keep in mind that something like Leatherique, while reportedly very good, is geared more towards restoring older, dry leather than treating brand new leathter that is still in good shape. It's probably okay to use, but it also may be overkill given the cost and time consuming nature of its use.

Personally, I think the Lexol and Eagle One products don't smell very good. The Mothers conditioner smells pleasantly of coconuts, and some other conditioners like Tanner's Preserves and the one from Zaino have a distinctly leather-like scent. I don't know about Meguiar's offerings though...

Just be sure to keep the seats regularly cleaned and conditioned, and remember that sunlight and heat are not very good for leather. Alternatively a good vinyl/rubber protectant with UV protection like 303 can be used, but this is a subject that is still up for debate.

Eagle Ottawa(sp?) is a leather supplier to the auto industrie and makes leather care products that can be bought at Wal Mart.

This is where I jump ship and love Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner because they leave the lowest 'gloss factor' of any products that I have used on my seats, etc. I absolutely hate the "glad garbage bag" look to any interior.

I also use Eagle Ottawa "Tanner's Preserve" leather conditioner after a damp towel wipedown. I also use their cleaner, but only when really necessary. I prefer not to molest those precious bodily fluids any more than necessary. Great stuff, surprisingly inexpensive, and imparts the yummiest "leather" aroma this side of freshly tanned premium hides. Eagle Ottawa is one of the oldest leather suppliers in the U.S. Got into business just after the Civil War. (Supplied harness and saddlery leather, and drive belts for the burgeoning Industrial Revolution as well as general purpose leather for upholstery, footware, and clothing) The company has tanneries in about a half dozen countries world-wide including Italy, Japan, and Germany(!). While the company doesn't list its client roster, it does state on its website that it received a commendation from Toyota for consistently high quality. Draw you own conclusion on that one...

Thanks to everybody on their input!

Ray, Is the Eagle Ottawah product readily available? Is it part of the Eagle One family?

Thanks again

quote:

Originally posted by mulepacker:
Thanks to everybody on their input!

Ray, Is the Eagle Ottawah product readily available? Is it part of the Eagle One family?

"Eagle Ottawa" was the result long ago of a merger of two independent leather tanneries - "Eagle" and "Ottawa" (Duhh...). I doubt the current company has any hookup with "Eagle One". The back side of the plastic bottles state that the product is distributed by "First Brands" of Danbury, Connecticut. I have no idea whether First Brands is involved with manufacture and bottling, bottling only, or merely accept shipment of finished, bottled product and distribute nationwide. I got mine at Wal*Mart, though I haven't seen it for awhile in my area. (You know Wal*Mart...) If you're after shiny leather, you'll be disappointed with Eagle Ottawa. It has no sheen enhancers, nor does it coat leather. It simply resupplies and maintains the emmolients that keep finished leathers "healthy" and supple. Leather soaks this stuff up faster than politicians take "soft money" contributions. (By the way, I don't work for the company or its distributors - just a happy camper using it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back