Least expensive SYN I have found?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At two Wal-mart's here in Denver, I found 5 quart jugs of SuperTech Synthetic in 10-30 and 5-30 for $11.88 before tax. A single quart bottle of the same is like $3.50 each. Generally, I would not pay extra for SYN but at this price I decided why not and have bought about 5 of these 5 quart jugs. This comes out to about $2.38 a quart. I don't know if Mobil 1 or valvoline SYN is better at $5 a quart but since Syn is generally considered better I gotta figure this Supertech SYN should work? I can afford $2.38 a quart but $5.00?

I may try this 50-50 10-30 + 15W40 mix to see if it stops oil burn?

If the price of SYN scares you away maybe your local Wal-mart sells Supertech SYN for the same price?

quote:

Originally posted by pay me now or later?:
I don't know if Mobil 1 or valvoline SYN is better at $5 a quart but since Syn is generally considered better I gotta figure this Supertech SYN should work? I can afford $2.38 a quart but $5.00?

Not sure about Mobil 1 pricing at your local Wal-Mart, but at my Wal-Mart you can purchase a 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 for $20, which works out to $4/quart. Still not as cheap as SuperTech syn though.

Bear in mind, Supertech "synthetic" is a Group III synthetic, and as such it's only as "synthetic" as Shell Rotella T 5W40, another GIII, is synthetic.
The Rotella synthetic is probably the second-cheapest synthetic I've ever seen, being only marginally higher than Wal-Mart's store-brand synthetic.
If you're worried about oil burn, a nice strong diesel-oriented 'synthetic' motor oil could be just the ticket.

I think SuperTech syn is suppose to be like some of the Castrol Syntecs with mostly GrpIII basestock oil. (The higher the group basestock the better) However for the price of the SuperTech it is a pretty good deal unlike some Syntecs. Tropartic's Semisyn blend is real good for the money too.

Just note that that supertech is not really for extended drains beyond say maybe 6k miles. The only way you could really tell if you could go further on it would be to have a UOA done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back