Learning how to decipher tech data report ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me if I'm on the right track..

Pour point= the lower the better ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Flash point= the higher the better?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kin.Visc
cSt @ 40
cSt @ 100
Sus @ 100
Sus @ 210
Once again the higher the numbers the better?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cold cranking= The lower the better
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Viscosity index= the higher the better ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Borderline pumping = the lower the better ?
Ash= the lower the better ?
TBN= the higher the better

There is certainly some guide available to describe what is the "perfect oil".
Kind of describing the parameter in which a 10w30 should perform.
Per example min and max allowable numbers for viscosity at 100°c ,

If there is a FAQ somewhere on that topic , let me know !!!

Hoping that you understand my Frenchglish !!

Thanks

Honestly, don't worry so much about those numbers. Many oils look good on paper, but don't perform in real life. Some oils even perform well under test conditions in a lab, but then when in an engine, they don't lower engine wear any more than other similar oils.

The best way to see how an oil performs is to do an oil analysis on it after running it in your engine.

Patman, I'll have the oil analysed by a lab here not far from where you are located.

In regards of my post I still want to learn how to interpret those number !!! even if they doesn't mean a lot.Just because i'm curious
smile.gif

I,ve just looked at the Duron 10w30 hvy duty oil from Petro Canada , impressive numbers, I know I know
dunno.gif
but I couldn't resist !

Good day

Well it looks like you're on the right track, you were correct in your analysis of the various numbers, I just don't want you to pass up on a good oil because one or two of it's numbers might not look as good as some other oils.

For instance, Schaeffer Oil is an oil which may not look as good on paper as some other oils, but rest assured, it will outperform most oils!

I've put some comments in your text...

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:
Tell me if I'm on the right track..

Pour point= the lower the better ? Generally yes, assuming you live in a cold climate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Flash point= the higher the better? Rarely comes into play other than an indication of, for instance, fuel contamination.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kin.Visc
cSt @ 40
cSt @ 100
Sus @ 100
Sus @ 210
Once again the higher the numbers the better? No, just an indication of SAE vis grade . In terms of oil analysis, though, be watchful of reducing trends (thinning/shearing) or increasing trends (thickening/oxidation).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cold cranking= The lower the better - yes, again relates to cold temp performance.
Viscosity index= the higher the better ? - yes, relates to both cold and high temp performance as an indicator of abilty to stay in viscosity grade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Borderline pumping = the lower the better ? - yes, more cold temp performance.
Ash= the lower the better ? No. Ash is an indication, among other things, of detergent/dispersant concentration. Generally, auto oils have less of this concentration than heavy duty truck oils. With ash, you primarily look for a max desirable level, currently around 1.3%.
TBN= the higher the better - Kind of. Actually, be more watchful of how fast it is depleted rather than starting level. But, TBN correlates with ash so heavy duty truck oils typically start with much higher TBN levels than auto oils. Also, be aware of the differences between the two primary methods for measuring TBN.

There is certainly some guide available to describe what is the "perfect oil".
Kind of describing the parameter in which a 10w30 should perform.
Per example min and max allowable numbers for viscosity at 100°c ,

If there is a FAQ somewhere on that topic , let me know !!!

Hoping that you understand my Frenchglish !!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back