Learning about VLANs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two switches, a Nortel Networks Baystack 450T and a Cisco 2950, and I thought it'd be educational to configure a VLAN trunk port on each one, connect them, and set up two VLAN access ports.

I got it working. The VLAN access port for VLAN 2 on the Baystack is connected to the firewalled ethernet interface on my Linux machine which runs it's own DHCP server.

The VLAN access port for VLAN 2 on the Cisco is connected to my wireless access point.

VLAN 1 is connected to my broadband router and the unfirewalled interface on the Linux machine, as well as my 3 desktop computers.

I ran tcpdump on the firewalled interface (connected to VLAN 2) to make sure everything was working right (ie, traffic from VLAN1 not getting to that interface) and when I did a ping to a nonexistent local IP from my desktop machine I saw the ARP requeest. Uh oh...

..it turns out that the access port that the Linux machine's firewalled interface is on was a member of both VLANs, apparently a configuration that Cisco doesn't allow but the Baystack does.

I fixed that and did another ping to a nonexistent local IP and didn't see the ARP request so all is good.

I have to say, I like the user interface on the Baystack much better.
wink.gif

We use VLANs extensively here at my work. We have three different server environments, each with an internal network segment and a DMZ, an internet connection, a main lab, two office floors and a soon-to-be-connected remote office. Each has it's own segment and various segments are firewalled in different ways. We have one Cisco 4500 switch at the heart of it all with 3 firewalls and several T1 routers. It's amazing what that one Cisco will do and VLANs are the reason that's all possible without a dozen more pieces of network gear than we currently have. It's a very powerful box.

You should be able to have multiple tagged VLANs on 1 port, but not multiple untagged ports. FYI on the newer Baystack (now Nortel) equipment, this would not be allowed either. Try a firmware upgrade for your 450T.

Think of a VLAN as a virtual Layer 2 network.

Unfortunately Nortel doesn't make firmware updates available without a support contract.

Interestingly, even the latest revision of the manual for the Baystack 450 (which they do make available without a support contract, how nice) talks about how you can put an access port on multiple VLANs. The example shown has a network printer plugged into the access port, with two VLANs having access to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back