Leaky purolator filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using the purolator filters on my 2009 Subaru Impreza. Im not sure if the filters are defective or its my vehicle. There has been a little oil leaking from where the oil filter screws in. Its very minimal but
my filter is located about the exhaust header, so when the oil drips it falls on the pipes and creates a nasty smell. I put the car on ramps today and tightened the filter some in hopes that it would resolve the leak and smell. I have been constantly checking the oil level and it hasnt gone down any.

Are Purolator filters reputable? I have heard from several Subaru forums not to use them and to stick with the OEM filters.

Does anyone know why the oil maybe leaking out? I switched to Mobil 1 OW30. This same issue occured when i was using Valvoline Synpower 5w30. Is this leake related to using synthetic oil?

How many filters has this occurred with? If at least two, and your'e positive you don't have a double gasket situation, I would suspect the filter's mating surface on your engine was not machined level at the factory. Try a different brand filter for a short time. Also, and I don't mean to say you're wrong, but are you POSITIVE that you have the correct numbered Purolator for your engine?

Im absolutely positive that I have the correct filter. I used the huge book of filters at the Advanced Auto Parta near me to find the year and model of my car.

I actually just left advanced auto parts with a filter for an earlier model Impreza. The engine model code is the same on the model. The filter is bigger though. I wonder why the went from the bigger filters to smalled sized filters. It seems logical the larger sized filter would be a better choice because of the larger filter media.

Can somone elaborate on what double gasket problem means in regard to oil filters?

This has happened with 2 filters. Its odd because it happened on one filter and then when i changed the oil and filter it went away. Its sporadic. All of the filters have been the same model Purolator.

bustednutz is absolutely correct. Purolators are one of the absolute best oil filters available. Matter of fact they invented the modern oil filter in which we enjoyed for the past 83 years. I would go to the service department and ask them if they are having any problems? If so, have them look at it while it is still in warranty. If the service department says there are no reported problem then perhaps have them change the oil and filter using OEM and if it leaks; it would be warranty work order time.... By the way,Mobil 1 filters are also made to the highest standards.

"Double gasket" is when a gasket gets left behind from the old filter, and you don't necessarily notice, and the new one from the new filter goes over the top.

I've never been under the hood of a subie (i know, my loss) I dont think this would apply to a subie but I know on the 4.0L Jeep engines there is actually an o ring on the filter adapter that can leak

This is related to the OP's story, but it might not necessarily be what's wrong. I figured I'd mention it anyways. On my mom's Malibu, I would put the oil filter on tight and for some reason, certain brands/filters would manage to work themselves slightly loose and start to leak a little bit. I'd get under there and re-tighten them and they'd be good to go. I don't know if maybe in the rare chance your oil filter became slightly loose, it's worth looking into.

Originally Posted By: Marukai
I have been using the purolator filters on my 2009 Subaru Impreza. Im not sure if the filters are defective or its my vehicle. There has been a little oil leaking from where the oil filter screws in. Its very minimal but
my filter is located about the exhaust header, so when the oil drips it falls on the pipes and creates a nasty smell. I put the car on ramps today and tightened the filter some in hopes that it would resolve the leak and smell. I have been constantly checking the oil level and it hasnt gone down any.

Are Purolator filters reputable? I have heard from several Subaru forums not to use them and to stick with the OEM filters.

Does anyone know why the oil maybe leaking out? I switched to Mobil 1 OW30. This same issue occured when i was using Valvoline Synpower 5w30. Is this leake related to using synthetic oil?

I use Purolator Prem Plus on all my vehicles (2004 Subaru Forester XT, 2000 Ford Taurus Wagon, 2002 Nissan Maxima). The filter only leaks on the Subaru. I'm not sure what the issue is, I've tried tightening it down with a wrench and I still find it has dripped all over the access panel when I go to change the fluid at 5K miles.

Don't do an OEM filter, the newer blue ones are [censored]. Unless you can get an older OEM black filter, great filter and a O-ring seal. Otherwise good luck on finding a fix for your filter leak, never had a issue with my 05 WRX, OEM, or Purolator.

I would buy an OEM and check to see if the gasket is the same as the Purolator.

I have my doubts about how important the quality of oil filter is. I also doubt anybody has any proof Purolators are any better than much else. In the past, I found them about like everything else inside except for the string around the media. The last one I cut open didn't have the string or much media.

I got a bunch lately on deals with oil at AAP. Next oil change, I am trying something else.

Originally Posted By: ET16
"Double gasket" is when a gasket gets left behind from the old filter, and you don't necessarily notice, and the new one from the new filter goes over the top.

you usually have a pretty huge oil spill once running if you double gasket it though

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Purolators are one of the absolute best oil filters available.
+1. I've used them for many years, on many different vehicles and never had an issue. Whether it be Pure One, Puro Classic(PP), Advance Auto Total Grip or Motorcraft, all have performed well and have met my expectations.

I also have cut open all of the above, (Prem Plus recently), and found them to be quality sustantial filters, well constructed with metal endcaps, and they are a great value.

To the OP, if the Puro didn't work for you, then you should switch brands or use OE. That said, nobody is perfect and I'd be curious to know the leak's origin.

Yeah I would use a OEM filter for your next change. That way if it still leaks you can take it to the dealer and they can't blame it on the non-oem filter.

I've used purolator almost exclusively and have never had a leak.

I've used the new gold Purolator filter on my 2009 WRX twice and both times they never leaked a drop. I'd check to see if any of the textured grip material was poorly applied near the gasket and is preventing the filter from fully seating.

I've noticed recently the purolator filter lookup table at the autoparts store is incorrect for 08 and 09 applications, at least on the WRX. The Air and Oil filter that was listed at the Advanced Autoparts store I went to listed the wrong filter numbers.

Originally Posted By: HondaRD
I've used the new gold Purolator filter on my 2009 WRX twice and both times they never leaked a drop. I'd check to see if any of the textured grip material was poorly applied near the gasket and is preventing the filter from fully seating.

I just received 4 PureOne oil filters from Amazon today, and inspected them very carefully upon arrival. Looking around the outside base edge I could see some slight over spray of the textured paint near the gasket seat. I removed the gasket on all 4 filters to see how much was under the base gasket. I did find one filter with 2 or 3 pretty good sized chunks of paint under the gasket. I cleaned up the gasket groove and gasket and reinstalled.

Tip for textured PureOne users ... I'd recommend removing the base gasket to inspect and clean it and the gasket groove before installing the filter. IMO, this is probably what's causing the leaking on the OP's vehicle. I'm sure if there were a few small paint chunks between the gasket and can, that enough tightening would seal it as the rubber gasket would eventually conform ... but why not check and clean before installing to be extra sure.

It's kind of a pain, and I wish Purolator would improve their paint process some more to ensure zero contamination on the base and gasket groove area. Purolator, if you're reading this I'm for hire (have manufacturing experience) and will fix your manufacturing process problem for "cheap".
wink.gif

HondaRD, what did advance auto have listed? The XX14612 should be the same for PP and PO. That's what my advance auto had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back