Leaky purolator filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to run the OEM Subaru despite the talk of the blah construction because I've tested it and it does have the right bypass pressure. I will just do shorter OCIs to counter the filter construction but with the 09 WRX engine failures, I don't want to risk my warranty. I have already contacted Purolator/Bosch, WIX and Champion to express my concern over the aftermarket Subaru filters not having the right bypass pressure. So maybe by the time my warranty is up, they will have a new filter for us ;). It should be easy for Bosch/Purolator since they have the 14460 which has the right bypass pressure...they just have to retrofit that bypass valve into the 14612 (and keep the ADBV) and then we'd be set.

By the way, this is bad news, but the black Tokyo Roki Subaru filters do NOT have the 23.2psi bypass pressure. My Rex came with one on it from the factory and I chopped it up and tested. After 5 trials, it came in in the high 18psi range....so it is no exaggeration that the 'previous filter did not meet Subaru specifications'. To dummy check I reduced the sectional area of the valve by .5mm in diameter (even though my calipers are very accurate to the .1mm (read to .01mm). Even with that, the bypass pressure at highest would be 19.5ish. The blue OEM by Honeywell read 22.7-23.9psi for me using 3 filters and two trials each. My digital scale is accurate to the gram. So if you are satisfied with the black Toyko Roki, then you should have no qualms with the PureOne 14612 since it has a 14-18 psi bypass rating.

Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
I'm going to run the OEM Subaru despite the talk of the blah construction because I've tested it and it does have the right bypass pressure. I will just do shorter OCIs to counter the filter construction but with the 09 WRX engine failures, I don't want to risk my warranty.

Any word on what's causing the 09 WRX engine failures? Any word it could be aftermarket filter usage? As you probably know, I'm one that firmly believes that a filter with the high bypass setting needs to be used in the Subarus (due to their high volume oil pump) ... otherwise, there could be a lot of filter bypass action going on ... not a good situation.

I have already contacted Purolator/Bosch, WIX and Champion to express my concern over the aftermarket Subaru filters not having the right bypass pressure. So maybe by the time my warranty is up, they will have a new filter for us ;). It should be easy for Bosch/Purolator since they have the 14460 which has the right bypass pressure...they just have to retrofit that bypass valve into the 14612 (and keep the ADBV) and then we'd be set.

Good for you ... without any customer feedback they probably don't know any wiser. I'm actually kind of surprised that the major filter makers haven't looked at the Subaru specs closely enough to ensure the right filter design is offered.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
I'm going to run the OEM Subaru despite the talk of the blah construction because I've tested it and it does have the right bypass pressure. I will just do shorter OCIs to counter the filter construction but with the 09 WRX engine failures, I don't want to risk my warranty.

Any word on what's causing the 09 WRX engine failures? Any word it could be aftermarket filter usage? As you probably know, I'm one that firmly believes that a filter with the high bypass setting needs to be used in the Subarus (due to their high volume oil pump) ... otherwise, there could be a lot of filter bypass action going on ... not a good situation.

I have already contacted Purolator/Bosch, WIX and Champion to express my concern over the aftermarket Subaru filters not having the right bypass pressure. So maybe by the time my warranty is up, they will have a new filter for us ;). It should be easy for Bosch/Purolator since they have the 14460 which has the right bypass pressure...they just have to retrofit that bypass valve into the 14612 (and keep the ADBV) and then we'd be set.

Good for you ... without any customer feedback they probably don't know any wiser. I'm actually kind of surprised that the major filter makers haven't looked at the Subaru specs closely enough to ensure the right filter design is offered.

The engine failures nothing to do with the filters...bad bearings and some block flash clogging oil passages. There hasn't been a reported case on an 09 WRX whose mfg date is past I think 09/08. Mine is 02/09 so I feel safe.

Anyway, with a Subie there is no one filter with every aspect of it being ideal:

PL14612 (or Bosch 3300 I think): great filter media, good endcap design, silicone ADBV, good bypass valve design (the tribal tattoo swirl) BUT.....14-18psi bypass pressure
PL14460: 25psi bypass pressure, good endcap design, good filter media, larger canister BUT.....no ADBV (plus this only fits the 2.0L H4s...my exhaust mani gets in the way)
OEM: silicone ADBV, correct bypass pressure BUT.....blah end caps and filter media

Any word on what's causing the 09 WRX engine failures? Any word it could be aftermarket filter usage?

The engine failures nothing to do with the filters...bad bearings and some block flash clogging oil passages.

Hummm ... but maybe using an aftermarket filter with a low bypass setting on those engines with the block flashing issue caused the captured block flashing in the filter to continually be flushed back through the engine every time the filter went into bypass mode.

This is exactly the reason you want a filter with the right bypass setting for the engine it's used on. High pressure/high volume oil pumps need an above average filter bypass setting.

Any word on what's causing the 09 WRX engine failures? Any word it could be aftermarket filter usage?

The engine failures nothing to do with the filters...bad bearings and some block flash clogging oil passages.

Hummm ... but maybe using an aftermarket filter with a low bypass setting on those engines with the block flashing issue caused the captured block flashing in the filter to continually be flushed back through the engine every time the filter went into bypass mode.

This is exactly the reason you want a filter with the right bypass setting for the engine it's used on. High volume oil pumps need an above average filter bypass setting.
Good point. I think in the end I'll be comfortable putting a 14-18psi PureOne on the Rex after I get to say 25k miles (ie point that chances are my engine was not one of the rejects). But I will not be putting a 10psi Fram or Wix or M1 or K&N on it. But till then I'll stick with the OEM so they don't try to screw me on warranty stuff.

Last edited:
But so many have had a long life with Wix/NAPA with an 8-11 PSID. I just don't get it. For me the PL14460 works wonderfully, but I'm not pressurized either.

I want to chime in on this, although an old thread.
Never had problems with leaking filters until I switched to PureOne.
2005 Legacy GT. Black OEMs never leaked. Mobil 1 never leaked. Purolator white, regular, never leaked. This past oil change, I've had the second PureOne filter coated in oil. No drips in the garage though, so I bet it's minimal and not enough to drip all the way down and pool on the bottom of the filter and then drip. However, again, here it is, two of the PureOne filters I tried, both leaked. I will see if this 3rd one leaks.

SuperBusa, next time I'm going to try your suggestion. I'm going to pull out the gasket and inspect.

This is exactly the reason you want a filter with the right bypass setting for the engine it's used on. High pressure/high volume oil pumps need an above average filter bypass setting.

Hummm ... Maybe using an after market filter with a dome end bypass.

Did you apply new oil to the gasket and wipe off the mating surface before installing the new one? I always hand tighten my filters and never had any problems.

Try tightening your filters to one-full turn after the gasket contacts the base. Use a wrench carefully if needed. I've never had a leak if I followed this method. And I've never had any problems removing the filter, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back