LCD Television recommendation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samsung mid-high end.
I don't know if anything has changed since i got my 40" 1080p mid level 550 series LCD from Samsung 2 yrs ago, but I have been very satisfied with its performance. Still works fine, zero issues, and great pic quality and functions, ample connectrivity. Very extensive pic quality adjustments that are usually found only in service menus of most/all other brands. (i heard that Samsung might have taken some of the in-depth adjustments off of some models). With the adjustments my TV has, one can do a full level professional calibration if one can find the settings on AVS forum, etc.

My TV has a great pic for OTA HD tv, Bluray/dvd (my main and most important source, followed closely by internet streaming via blu ray player or laptop), and also PC connection via VGA. (it can accept a pc signal via HDMI too, but i don't have any PCs with HDMI out yet)

I also love the fact that it can recognize components from other major brands when connected. for example, i only need to hit "play" on my Panasonic blu ray player, and it will automaticallu turn the TV on (although it's a samsung) and switch to the correct HDMI input. Vice versa, turning the Samsung off will turn the component connected also off. Very handy.

IMO, Samsung TVs give you a lot of bang for the $$.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Are you on the cable/satellite? If so, do you pay for each HD box?

I have satellite HD for 3 TVs. I'm not sure but I think I gets credit back on the 1st, so I pay for the other 2. The other TVs don't have the HD boxes piped in, just standard. 2 of the TVs also have OTA (Over the air) antenna also - so I can switch back and forth between OTA and Satellite. If your in a city, some would be surprised on how many local HD channels may be received OTA. Some channels may have more than one available for the same channel, example, one on my locals is channel 3. I get 3-1, 3-2 and 3-3. The 3-1 is the standard local, 3-2 is their weather full time, and I forget what the 3-3 is. But many will be shocked on the OTA quality. Of course, in addition to a quality TV, the antenna is where its at for getting those signals. I have done from simple clothes hanger DIY antennas, to amplified systems. Google is your friend.
Also I pick up other channels from other cities adding to the list.
I don't pay much attention to the bill - I just pay it every now and then - meaning send 500 and for awhile the bill comes "No Payment Due" until the credit runs out, the I'll do it again. This way I'm not sending them a check every month.
You'll notice the HD dish LNB is a double unit and they run a dual CAT for the HD units.
One set has DVR - of course the son says this is absolutely necessary for his room TV. I say of course it is when dad pays the bills...

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Surprised no one has mentioned Sharp Aquos.

I did as I have one - it's was listed up a few notches. It's not bad. I don't care for its menu system and no audio leveling. As far a pic quality, its not like the newer LEDs, but it don't cost like the new 55s super thin units.

Aquos had a bad case of banding, which is probably the most documented defect of any LCD tv brand in the recent history. That and spotty reliability and mediocre amount of pic quality controls don't make a good case for them.

Just google "Sharp+banding" and you will see. Even though Sharp stated that the issues were corrected there are still reports of banding. The issue was big enough that Sharp website had a statement about it, and was also in the FAQs. (don't know if it's still there).

Another similar issue was Toshiba and their "green monster" fiasco, and Sony's "clouding".

Compared to all that Samsung, JVC and Panasonic has fewer wide spread issues, from everything I could find.

Most LCDs have horrible sound, and Samsung's no exception - but i almost always use my main 2.1 audio system to watch movies. I only use the TVs speakers to watch news, etc.

Last edited:
I love the 50" Panasonic Viera plasma that my wife and I bought in the summer of 2009, and am glad that I was able to get an awesome deal on a new 46" Panasonic Viera plasma ($598!) for my new place too. I love the great contrast that a plasma television offers, I hate it when the blacks on a TV end up looking muddy or grey.

The one thing I will recommend is that once you do finally buy a TV, stop looking at the sales! I just noticed that Best Buy up here has a 50" LG plasma TV for one dollar more ($599) than I paid for the 46" Panasonic last week! And a few months from now it wouldn't surprise me to see a 60" plasma on sale for roughly this price too. When we bought the 50" Panasonic in summer 2009 it was regular price $1499! (we got it for $1299 though) So prices have dropped big time!

FYI If you have Costco membership, buy TV there and pay with AmEx, Costco will add another year to your warranty free.

Whatever you do, beware of the Toshiba TVs. I bought my dad a 32" LCD Toshiba in Sept. 2009 and two weeks ago, the power supply blew. Of course, it was two months out of warranty. But luckily my extended warranty covered it.

As the replacement TV, I bought a Samsung 540 series 32" LCD from Sam's Club. $328. Great TV, with better picture quality than Toshiba.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
FYI If you have Costco membership, buy TV there and pay with AmEx, Costco will add another year to your warranty free.

Amex is not the only card that offers the warranty extension.

Ended up with a 40" Sony, 1080p, 60Hz. Local store closing them out at $398. Couldn't resist. Pleased so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back