Lawyers in a Zoom call

I just finished a public zoom meeting that was bombed by some bored teenagers who took over screen share and proceeded to share some pretty disturbing stuff until we were able to boot them out. I am starting to miss the in-person meetings.

Found that hybrid Zoom meetings where some members of a committee meet in person and others by Zoom are difficult to follow and some information gets missed. It will be the new normal tho.

My wife and her office are not the most tech savvy people. She schedules these type of zoom calls with the court between the judge, the defendant's attorney and her attorney who represents the plaintiff but another person does the technical set up. This is the kind of thing they fear would happen to them. She thought it was hilarious.

In the top left corner it says recording of the hearing is prohibited. Isn't this a recording? Is this not a problem?

In the top left corner it says recording of the hearing is prohibited. Isn't this a recording? Is this not a problem?

That's what it says in the live stream, but obviously it applies to anyone other than the court. The court itself placed this segment on its own YouTube page. Besides that, I don't know what kind of power they would have since recording for one's own purposes without redistribution is generally allowed. There's also fair use. Any judge trying to slap contempt of court for recording a public hearing broadcast on a live YouTube stream is going to have a hard time enforcing it.

This was so funny, I swear! These times are really uncertain and difficult, but I like that there are still good and harmless things that are happening, like this one. Practising law during these times can be a challenge. I've spoken with someone at waymanandlong.co.uk and they have told me that they had to adapt themselves to new rules and procedures. I cannot wait for this to be over. I am sure that everyone is so sick of this, but the only thing that we can do to be safe is to protect ourselves. This will pass at some point

Back