Lawn Mower Maintenance

I do everything before I park it for the winter. Clean & degrease, oil, blade, air filter, spark plug, Tru-Fuel up to the filler neck. Come springtime, it's just prime and pull.

I do everything before I park it for the winter. Clean & degrease, oil, blade, air filter, spark plug, Tru-Fuel up to the filler neck. Come springtime, it's just prime and pull.
interesting, I am guessing you aren't too worried about the moisture in the oil from sitting all winter?

I do the maintenance in November on the lawn mowers and on the 2 strokes just put them away until probably the end of March or April. I don't use any winterizing or storage fuel additives and never have.

Last edited:
Hey some of us like Champion plugs 🤣. I’ve actually never had bad luck with any spark plugs besides Torch. My Jeep will only run well on Champion copper or platinum plugs you put anything else in there and it hates it.
I switched my tractor, lawnmowers, weed whacker and chain saws to Champion from the NGK's i had been running. Only difference I've noticed is the price. $2 for Champion at WalMart and $6 for NGK at the parts store.

I switched my tractor, lawnmowers, weed whacker and chain saws to Champion from the NGK's i had been running. Only difference I've noticed is the price. $2 for Champion at WalMart and $6 for NGK at the parts store.
That’s cool. Here at Walmart they carry Autolite now but I think they are coppers not sure. I’ll look into some iridium that sounds better than the copper.

interesting, I am guessing you aren't too worried about the moisture in the oil from sitting all winter?
Moisture in the oil? I run the mower, drain the oil, pour the new oil in and park it. I don't see much of an opportunity for moisture to get in. If I have to make a choice between moisture-laden new oil or moisture-laden old oil sitting in the engine all winter, I'll take the new oil.

Moisture in the oil? I run the mower, drain the oil, pour the new oil in and park it. I don't see much of an opportunity for moisture to get in. If I have to make a choice between moisture-laden new oil or moisture-laden old oil sitting in the engine all winter, I'll take the new oil.
I’m not if I know what you mean, How would moisture get into a new sealed bottle?

I changed the oil & filter in my LT150 before I put it away last year. I pulled it out yesterday to look at air filter, belts and grease zerks. I need a new belt and some new spindle bearings. I will sharpen the blades and be good to go by next weekend. Probably won't need to mow for 4 or 5 more weeks anyway but it was nice yesterday.

Just my $0.02

bought a new mower last summer to replace the old Toro recycler 20007 so there won't be much to do this spring. Check/sharpen blade, clean underside of deck, grease wheel bolts, etc.

Back