Lawn Mower Maintenance

It’s been getting warm here in SC, and decided to do a ‘tune-up’ on my two year old lawn mower. Anyone else get there lawn mowers freshened up for another grass cutting season?

Attachments

• 44BF8A28-0F57-494F-A38E-9034DD302F14.jpeg
    44BF8A28-0F57-494F-A38E-9034DD302F14.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 64
Mine gets a new fram ultra 3614 filter and amsoil AME. I usually regap plugs, but i may search for a matching iridium. An iridium plug starts and runs so well in my generator, i think i want to try them in the Kawasaki zero turn. I oil all the throttle and choke manual cables as well.

I run a gator blade the last few mowings of fall, and the first couple of spring, for leaves. then i switch to the regular toro blades till fall.

Mine gets a new fram ultra 3614 filter and amsoil AME. I usually regap plugs, but i may search for a matching iridium. An iridium plug starts and runs so well in my generator, i think i want to try them in the Kawasaki zero turn.
I’m curious where do you find iridium plugs for small engines? Around here all of them are copper I think.

A lot of internet searching for cross reference. I have only used it in my generator to replace a torch plug. I may pull my zero turn and see whats available.
Oh that’s good. At the parts stores they won’t sell me one single plug and tell me it has no warranty for a mower so I probably will search online for one. I seen some Autolite singles at Walmart but I’m sure they were copper.

I changed the oil once on my mower, and gave it a new spark plug. I switched from the original Champion to NGK. With the new plug, it starts with one pull, which it never did with the loser champion

I changed the oil once on my mower, and gave it a new spark plug. I switched from the original Champion to NGK. With the new plug, it starts with one pull, which it never did with the loser champion
Hey some of us like Champion plugs 🤣. I’ve actually never had bad luck with any spark plugs besides Torch. My Jeep will only run well on Champion copper or platinum plugs you put anything else in there and it hates it.

This is a big maintenance year for me, I have to change both hydraulic filters, both air filters the oil filter, 1 hydraulic line, the filter screen, fuel filter, front axle lube, mower deck gear box lube on top of sharpening all 3 blades and hitting 10 zerks but those last ones get done 2x a season. Then I get to start on the offset tow behind deck.

I’ve already mowed my weeds for the first mow. Oil and filter was changed. A new air filter went on. The blades were changed out and tires aired up. I’ll change the plugs and fuel filter later on.

Had to chop leaves/sticks from oaks, sweet gum, pines, etc throughout the winter, so I never put mine away this year. Changed oil and lower blade last week but otherwise no "winterization" here.
You have my sympathy having a sweet gum. Messiest tree there ever was. I was glad when I took my down.

Mine gets prepped and stored for the winter in November. It gets fogged, the oil changed, new air filter if needed, and the blade sharpened and balanced. If it's due for a spark plug I change that in the spring after I fire it up after the winter fogging, and I burn through the tweaked gas I stored it with. That's been working well for as long as I can remember.

Back