Latest salvage auction trailer purchase

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Earlier this morning I was the higher bidder on a enclosed trailer. 2021 Darkhorse trailer. Never heard of the Darkhorse brand

I currently have two enclosed trailers, one aluminum gooseneck, and one 12 foot bumper pull. Friday I am picking up my SUV from a Ford dealer in North Carolina, and then heading to Illinois to clean out of a home we own a "trailer full" of tools and household maintenance stuff. We expect the home to sell in the next 60 days, the current agreement stated all items that I have stored must be removed. I have chain saws, blowers, honda lawn mower, a thousand pounds of PEX A fittings, etc. Even have three spare well tanks.........

Decided to put these items in a trailer and haul them out to Seattle where I currently live. Looked at Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook marketplace.... no reasonable deals to be had. I am actually in sticker shock of the current price of enclosed trailers, new or used. I had two trailers identified at auction this week. Both 12 foot enclosed trailers sold for over 4,000, both salvage from accidents.

The below trailer I had added to my watchlist, but somehow was not tracking. Saw it this morning and like what I saw. Especially like the e-track. Being in Nashville, easy pickup for me leaving from North Carolina heading to Illinois. I will have a tight timeline from North Carolina to Nashville, as if I arrive after 4pm this Friday, next pickup is the following Monday morning.

I am not sure of the length of the trailer. It will push my Lincoln Navigator towing limits. I prefer to tow a trailer of this size with a 3/4, or 1 ton pickup. I am also not happy about not having installed a weight distribution hitch or a anti/ sway bar. If I am trouble towing after loading the trailer up in Illinois, I will simply put the trailer in a storage lot in Illinois and come get the trailer with a bigger pickup.

Winning bid before fees 3150. After fees 3650.

Currently having attach files issues, will post pictures later

Where are the pics? Edit, just read the last line.
For some reason unable to load the pics. I did find the specs. The trailer I purchased also has e-track on the walls and floors, and white board on the walls.

DARK HORSE CARGO 2500 SERIES 7.5 X 16+2V TRAILER CHARCOAL

12" EXTENDED TONGUE

SIDE DOOR BAR LOCK

• Tandem 3500lb Spring Brake Axles
  • UPGRADED 7' INTERIOR HEIGHT
  • ST205/75R15 LRC Radial Tires on SILVER MOD WHEELS
  • 2 5/16" Coupler
  • 2x6 Main Frame
  • Cobra Lined Tongues and Bumpers
  • Z-Tech Undercoating
  • 16in On Center Floor
  • 16in On Center Walls - Hat Post
  • 24in On Center Roof - Tube
  • 1 PR - Light Duty Rear Stabilizer Jacks
  • 3/4in Drymax Floor
  • 3/8in Plywood Walls
  • D Rings (Qty 4) - 1 In Each Corner - 6in from Each Wall, 6in from Rear, 6in from Front
    Crossmember
  • (1)12V LED Dome Lights w/Switch C/S Door
  • .030 Exterior Metal
  • COLOR: WHITE
  • Semi-Screwless (Color Matching Screws on Seams)
  • 1 Piece Aluminum Roof
  • 24in .045 Stoneguard
  • .045 ATP on Nose
  • 1-1/2in Trim around Tongue
  • 3in Exterior Top Trim
  • 3in Exterior Bottom Trim
  • Smooth Fenders
  • Flow-thru Vents - RS Front High/CS Rear Low
  • 36in x 78in RV Side Door
  • Aluminum Snap Latch Door Hold Backs
  • MEDIUM Duty Ramp Door with Flap

• Rear Opening
    • Opening Height: 82"
    • Opening Width: 76"

Here are the pics

Attachments

• 32818328_1_I.jpeg
    32818328_1_I.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 32818328_2_I.jpeg
    32818328_2_I.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 32818328_3_I.jpeg
    32818328_3_I.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 32818328_4_I.jpeg
    32818328_4_I.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 32818328_5_I.jpeg
    32818328_5_I.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 32818328_6_I.jpeg
    32818328_6_I.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 32818328_7_I.jpeg
    32818328_7_I.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 32818328_8_I.jpeg
    32818328_8_I.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 32818328_10_I.jpeg
    32818328_10_I.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 32818328_11_I.jpeg
    32818328_11_I.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 58
Nice looking trailer @GON
Any idea on the empty weight?
Also, noticing how the right fender has been nicked, you might want to string the coupler to each front tire to check if the axle is still properly aligned.

Heck of a deal if there is no major frame damage!

Nice looking trailer @GON
Any idea on the empty weight?
Also, noticing how the right fender has been nicked, you might want to string the coupler to each front tire to check if the axle is still properly aligned.

Heck of a deal if there is no major frame damage!
Empty weight estimated to be 2830 lbs. max cargo weight is 4170 (4170+2830= 7,000 lbs).

Thanks for the tip of stringing the coupler to each axle and measuring. I never knew that method!

I was working multiple 12 foot enclosed salvaged cargo that appeared to be in much worse shape than this trailer,, one went for $3700 before fees, the other went for $4500 before fees. Market in used trailers is crazy tough, I think a new cargo trailer may be a better buy than a used in today's market.

As much as I love having the 7' ceiling on the trailer, a big mismatch for towing with my 2004 Navigator. Hopefully I can make it 400 miles north from Nashville, and figure out how to get the trailer (now loaded) to Seattle after that. The Navigator has the optional 8,000 lbs tow package, but the wind resistance of this trailer going west and through mountains is of concern.

Did the engine in the Navigator get sorted out? I remember you said it sounded like it was down on compression.
I don't know much about the 4 valve, but my experience with the 2 valve is that it likes the revs. Just drop the thing into 2nd gear if you have to and let it sing away at the high end of the tac if needed. It'll do it. Your navigator should have the better 4R100 trans anyway.

Did the engine in the Navigator get sorted out? I remember you said it sounded like it was down on compression.
I don't know much about the 4 valve, but my experience with the 2 valve is that it likes the revs. Just drop the thing into 2nd gear if you have to and let it sing away at the high end of the tac if needed. It'll do it. Your navigator should have the better 4R100 trans anyway.
The Navigator is at a Ford Dealer in North Carolina. They identified the issues as two bad fuel injectors. I pick up the Navigator this Friday morning.

Yes the Navigator has the 4R100 trans, same trans my F350 V10 has. My concern is wheel base of the Navigator being able to tow the tall trailer. Two weeks ago i towed my enclosed gooseneck through high winds in Oregon along the Columbia River, it was not fun. The enclosed trailers being towed look really concerning in the high winds.

Maybe I am worrying to much, but seems my F350s tow well, I speculate the Navigator may be a safety issue towing long distance to the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited:
I think the navigator would handle it just fine! If it was something light like a van, maybe, but that's a pretty heavy vehicle on its own. With a loaded up trailer you wouldn't have too much problem.

I can definitely understand feeling the trailer more with a lighter truck. My 350 doesn't really care how the weight is distributed. But when I'm in a rental 1/2 ton, I can feel if the truck likes it or not.

Reactions: GON
@GON if the trailer gets tail happy just slow down. I have a 36’ TT that can get tail happy behind my 3/4 ton Ram at higher speed. If I slow down it usually settles down nicely. I have a Husky load distribution hitch for it.

Just my $0.02

For reference, these are the other two trailers that I was not the high bidder on. Of note, I needed a trailer this week, and the trailer needed to be located somewhere between North Carolina and Illinois. The last trailer went to auction yesterday. I bid less on it as I had another trailer to bid on today (actually two).

My max bid $2900
Sold for $3550 (before auction fees)

My max bid $2300
Sold for $4500 (before auction fees)

Sorry- it looks like the link to the second trailer isn't working, I posted twice but no success

This adventure has all the makings of a Jack Kerouac novel. Cannot wait for the next chapter.;)

Yep-hopefully the Navigator doesn't turn up any more issues with "more trailer than it should have" behind it.

Trailer is awesome. Exceeded all expectations. Manufacturer puts in a lot of nice stuff in their manufacturing, such as rivets instead of screws, and coats the entire frame including the tongue in a rust preventative material- right from the factory and looks super well done.

I have more to share on the trailer including pics, but a final note, for $50 the manufacturer will transfer the three-year warranty to my name. Very cool.

Empty weight estimated to be 2830 lbs. max cargo weight is 4170 (4170+2830= 7,000 lbs).

Thanks for the tip of stringing the coupler to each axle and measuring. I never knew that method!

I was working multiple 12 foot enclosed salvaged cargo that appeared to be in much worse shape than this trailer,, one went for $3700 before fees, the other went for $4500 before fees. Market in used trailers is crazy tough, I think a new cargo trailer may be a better buy than a used in today's market.

As much as I love having the 7' ceiling on the trailer, a big mismatch for towing with my 2004 Navigator. Hopefully I can make it 400 miles north from Nashville, and figure out how to get the trailer (now loaded) to Seattle after that. The Navigator has the optional 8,000 lbs tow package, but the wind resistance of this trailer going west and through mountains is of concern.

Your Navigator should pull that trailer just fine. If you think it is struggling, slow down.

Back