Latest distribution data for Castrol 0w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also found it showing up at a Canadian Tire store in Sarnia, Ontario which is a fairly small town, so this oil seems to be showing up in greater frequency now.
fruit.gif

Joey

I have been looking in Michigan and so far no luck. All the Auto stores I go to still have the non-German made 0W30. They are not green, do not smell like Gumi-Bears and are not A3/B3 rated. I want to give it a try if I can find some. I only need four quarts. I will keep looking! I am hopeing to have some before winter. I am going to try it in the work car first and see what we see. I have 10W30 M1 in it right now testing it out. When the GM service oil light comes on I will sample it for UOA. Seeing how I am going to be useing the GM oil life monitor as my guide for service it should help to make the test more uniform. I figure that this has to be more accurate then useing millage alone.

I still haven't gotten the distribution pattern figured out. Since it has shown up in IL/IN, and in Canada--putting MI in between two locations that have it--you'd think it would be showing up in MI...go figure.
dunno.gif

FWIW, all 5L I put in my Firebird on Friday were from this batch:

M030426B T/W1240607

Before I put them in, I did a 3L "rinse cycle" which I ran for 2 minutes, with bottles from this batch:

M023386B 784

I hope I chose the batch with less iron for this interval. I have 5 more bottles from that batch too.

All I can figure is that they either have alot of old stock to get rid of or they are restricting the stuff to large metropolis's like Detroit or something????

I currently have M1 10W30 in my 1997 buick. It has been through two Auto-Rx treatments and two rinse cycles. This is the first batch of synthetic after the second rinse cycle. The engine will have close to 120,000 miles on it buy the time the M1 comes out. I am guessing that the numbers will be middle of the road and very stable. This engine should make a good test mule. It burns zero oil. The 10W30 M1 is the base line. I am going to try the Castrol Ow30 in it then maybe Redline or Delvac1.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
All I can figure is that they either have alot of old stock to get rid of or they are restricting the stuff to large metropolis's like Detroit or something????

Given that it's availalbe at my local AutoZone (in a town of about 50,000), I don't think your "large metropolis" theory is accurate.

Even though last week I bought out my local Walmart's last 6 bottles on the shelf, they put out 6 more this week! I bought them.
smile.gif

They are part of the same batch as the stuff I bought over the last two weeks:

M030426B T/W1240607

They still have those 8 lonely bottles of yellow label 0w30 there. I don't feel sorry for those ones though.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I bought some german castrol last week, and I could not overcome the compulsion to open up a quart and take a sniff. To me......it does not smell anywhere close to gummibears. In fact, I think it smells alot like Jim Beam.

I wonder if it just always smells like a treat?........LOL
grin.gif

Any chance it smells like beer?
http://www.sydes.net/jokes/flash/beer.swf

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back