Late 90s Isuzu owners, please chime in on opinions

I've always liked the boxy look of the late 90s Isuzu SUVs and being from Japan and used globally, I assume they have superb build quality, but just never 'caught on' in the US. But I've never ridden in, driven or owned one. There's a few attractive 97 and 99 4x4 examples with relatively low miles (~150k) nearby and I'm thinking I may want another 4x4 before winter.

Any thoughts on quality, experiences, ease of maintenance, things to pay attention to, mechanical, rust, etc. thoughts, concerns, or praise?

I had a 97 Rodeo (bought new) and it was solid enough. The engine was pretty nice, apart from HLA's that needed babied with 0W30 synthetic oil changes to keep their passages open and them from ticking. Oils these days would probably work wonders for them. At the time, M1 was about all there was for them and was what was recommended in the TSB.

The transmission....well.. 4L30E, I started having problems out of mine right before I traded it in. Of course, this was back in the very early 2000's and I didn't maintain things like I do now, but I know it did have one fluid change in its life. Leaked after that because the shop stripped out a few of the pan bolts and didn't tell me. Overall I don't think there's a lot of love out there for that transmission. I'd love to hear what @clinebarger has to say about it since its an interesting piece, with what I gather is essentially a 3 speed with the 4th speed sandwiched between the converter and the 3 speed.

Everything else about the truck was fine. The Interior seemed to hold up well, didn't have any suspension or brake problems out of it.

Pretty sure it was built somewhere here though. They weren't imported from Japan if memory serves.

Last edited:
I've owned a couple Rodeos. Generally, they were pretty good, but I wouldn't put them quite up there with Honda or Toyota quality. Both used some oil, but not excessively.

Any thoughts on quality, experiences, ease of maintenance, things to pay attention to, mechanical, rust, etc. thoughts, concerns, or praise?
There are no mechanical problems, I encountered on my Isuzu. The original Hitachi carb was discarded due to no rebuilt kits available and was changed to Weber. The emissions were deleted. A/C no longer function. Odometer broke at 099,999. Instrument panel still good, Horn button on the steering wheel no longer function but was replaced by a toggle switch attached on dash. Engine, transmission, starter, clutch are still original. Rust is only found on the truck bed but minimal since I live in Texas. Rubber windshield rubber mouldings & rear still intact. So far so good. My main concern is the availability of parts on main body & frame, even eBay & salvage parts don't have in stock. But mechanical parts, availability...I don't have any problem.

Last edited:
Poor Isuzu got tangled up in GM, and they slapped every badge they had on them...even Honda and Subaru slapped badges on them.

We have a lot of Bighorns and Mu's here, most are diesels and you won't have many of them. Apart from that chassis and running gear go forever.

Follow up question, which of these motors has a better reputation and/or ease of maintenance, or is there any significant difference, other than 10% more power in the 3.5L? Would similar condition and miles engines be secondary to the overall condition of the vehicle or price?

For instance at similar prices, a 1997 in better condition overall, or the 1999 in slightly worse condition but the more potent engine? The goal is a good long term reliable hill climbing winter driving SUV for outdoors sports in the winter.

From Wikipedia:
The second generation SOHC 6VD1 made 190 hp from 1996-1997.[2] In 1998, the same engine was available in DOHC form with 195 hp until 2002 with the termination of the Isuzu Trooper as the 6VD1-W. Both versions feature a 93.4 mm (3.68 in) bore and a 77.0 mm (3.03 in) stroke, giving it a total displacement of 3,165 cc (193.1 cu in).

The 6VE1-W 3.5L DOHC 24V V6 was introduced in 1998 with 215 hp (160 kW) and used until 2004 with the termination of the Isuzu Axiom. Gasoline direct injection was added for 2004 only and boosted output to 230 hp (172 kW). This was a stroked version of the 6VD1; having an 85.0 mm (3.35 in) stroke and a total displacement of 3,494 cc (213.2 cu in).

The transmission....well.. 4L30E, I started having problems out of mine right before I traded it in. Of course, this was back in the very early 2000's and I didn't maintain things like I do now, but I know it did have one fluid change in its life. Leaked after that because the shop stripped out a few of the pan bolts and didn't tell me. Overall I don't think there's a lot of love out there for that transmission. I'd love to hear what @clinebarger has to say about it since its an interesting piece, with what I gather is essentially a 3 speed with the 4th speed bolted on the back.

The Overdrive Section was between the Pump/Bell Housing & the Main Transmission Housing.....That's what the small rectangular pan is for.....The Overdrive section which has it's own Control Valve Body.

I haven't built a ton of them as they weren't installed in very many domestic market GM vehicles, The only one I can think of is the Cadillac Catera.

From what I've seen, They do have a tendency to run hot in the Rodeo/Passport. This cooks all the seals & the solenoids along with causing accelerated wear of the Pump & Bushings.

A lot of the "leaks" in these units, Both External & Internal are NOT from the pans, But from the Transfer Gaskets between the Bellhousing & OD Section & between the OD Section & Main Trans Case.
These 3 pieces are basically sandwiched together with really long bolts, As the gaskets compress over time/heat cycles, The OD Section & Main Trans Case will start rocking back & forth in relation to the Bellhousing causing the gaskets to scrub & tear. Interface Solutions makes thicker/more durable gaskets.

The above is why the Modular "Add-A-Piece" Overdrive was an overall failure, The Hydramatic 200-4R & the 4L80E were also 3 speeds with a Overdrive Section added......But the Cases were cast as one piece.
The late 4L60E, 5LxxE, & 6LxxE are of a modular design, But they don't use Transfer gaskets.

Be forewarned: There is another thread on here which shows the Isuzu Rodeo as #3 on the list of vehicles with the Most Reckless Drivers.

I had two 90's Isuzu Trucks and both were bought back by Isuzu for going through catalytic converters. Both trucks would get the converters so hot that they were glowing red while driving on the freeway.

The first one was bought back and they gave me another one for all my troubles. The second one did the same thing and I refused another one so ended up with a Nissan V6 hardbody.

Had a 1992 new Geo Storm GSI which was Isuzu. Kept it for 7 years with 120k miles on it and it was solid. Never any issues.

My neighbor had an Isuzu Trooper. It was a pretty stout vehicle but he got rid of it when it began to succumb to the tin worm. At the same time I had a P/UP. It was rugged, crude and dependable. I bought it new at a dealer in town from this guy;

My parents had a 96 Isuzu trooper they bought new. It was reliable. Other than the known ticking the engine never had problems.

Transmission was perfect for 185,000 miles until something internal broke and wiped it out. On 96 and newer you had to check the trans fluid from underneath as well as fill. It was the GM 4L30E.
I went to fill it and it leaked right back out somewhere near the torque converter.

Not very energetic but adequate. The 96 3.2 made 188 ft lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm.

The later 3.5s were much stronger with 230 ft lbs at a lower 3,000 rpm. The 3.5’s had oil consumption issues.

I’ve known a couple, they seem to know how to make good commercial vehicles. This translated well into their pickups, which were simple and good at what they do. We looked at a few rodeos over the years, and the better parts of truck heritage showed through, such as solid suspensions and effective handbrakes. For the cost, as a “luxury” suv competing with honda and toyota, it missed the mark with seat mounts which had play and other minor fit and finish nuisances. I wouldn’t turn one down, especially if it was free of rust.

my high school GF had an Isuzu pickup, I4, 5spd. It was a great truck, easy to drive, good stick, good a/c. Very good truck.

My cousin in law had a late 80s 2.2l diesel Pup that passed 450K miles before he swapped in a lower mile engine. I remember he had a problem with the axles sliding out and the rear wheels coming off.

I just thought of an odd issue I had with my 97. Thermostat went bad, stuck open. Go to Autozone, get another one, install it. Seems to work driving around town. On the highway....nope, temp steadily drops. Try a different aftermarket stat, same deal. Give in and get the OEM one, works just fine.

No idea what the deal was with that, but that was 20ish years ago, so I was a lot dumber when it came to cars.

Yeah, I'm probably passing on the Isuzu Troopers. LOTS of reports of design problems with oil leaking motors and poorly underpowered transmissions that fail. I was looking thru old used car ads and these seemed to be about 1/2 of what folks want today in this crazy car market.

Folks are wanting $4000-5000+ for good condition 160,000 mile examples that must be nearing the end of their likely lifespan before huge repair bills send them to the grave. I'll pass. Keep looking for a good Toyota for reasonable money.

Back